Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_189791

Kerdi shower question

User
11 years ago

We are about to get started on renovating our master bathroom and from reading I've done here, we'd like to use the Kerdi system for the shower stall. But, from looking at their information, the pan only seems to come in 3 sizes: 32x60, 48x48 and 72x72. However our shower is 32x48.

Is there another system that has more sizes available? Or are there really more sizes available from Kerdi and I'm missing something (very possible!)? As you can tell, we are novices at this and need help.

DH says he's willing to exchange money for ease of installation (up to paying someone to do it). We are DIYing with the help of a couple of friends that are very handy (DH is pretty handy too).

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (17)

• TileTech
    11 years ago

For 2 or 3 hundred dollars, I strongly recommend you do a traditional mud pan. It'll cost you about forty bucks and can accomodate odd sized pans, as yours is. Yes, you can buy a smaller pan than the one you need and add "mud" to the ends to make it work, but I wouldn't. Bill can walk you thru it or you could look for advice at the John Bridge Forums for precise instructions. Keep us posted.....

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

You can combine a mud pan with Kerdi. That's what I did about 7 years ago. It will cost you a lot less. Just build your mud slope, install the Kerdi drain and cover with Kerdi.
    But if I were doing it today, I would look into Hydroban, as I think it sounds even easier for a DIYer.

• bill_vincent
    11 years ago

I would look into Hydroban, as I think it sounds even easier for a DIYer.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bill/terriks - I looked into the Hydroban shower pans. They also do not seem to come in the size of my shower (32x48). From what I see they come in 36x60, 36x48, 48x60, 48x48 and 38x66.

Am I missing something? Is 32x48 really an usual size? The shower was built when house was built and has a builder grade shower pan. Hard to believe it wasn't a standard size?

Is it possible to use one of these systems with my shower size?

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

Don't buy the preformed pan from Hydroban or Kerdi. Make your own mud pan, then cover it with Hydroban or Kerdi, incorporating their drain.

• bill_vincent
    11 years ago

Yup. :-)

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

terriks and bill - thank you both so much for the help. We have never done this before (as I'm sure you can tell)!

A couple more questions if you don't mind--

According to the technical service person at Laticrete that I emailed over the weekend, their pans can be cut to size. Have you ever done that? Recommended?

Also, DH has been doing some research and came across another product that does come in our size. I think I remember Bill saying not to use knock offs? The company is KBRS Innovative Shower Systems (linked below). Do you know if this company is reputable? Would you recommend using their products?

We are nervous about doing a mud bed since we've never done anything like this before. Therefore, we're trying to use a pre-sloped product so we don't have to worry about getting that part right and having standing water.

Thanks again for your help!

Here is a link that might be useful: KBRS shower pan

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry, one more question.

DH says he's interested in this Tile-ez product. He says that it seems to be the easiest to install.

Any feedback on this product (linked below)?

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tile-ez

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

jill, the mud pan is really not that hard and it costs a lot less. I did it by myself. My husband just helped me haul in the heavy bags of sand and cement mix.

• hdg1027
    11 years ago

On the kerdi system, if your going with the center drain just cut two opposite ends equally down to the size needed.If the 32" your looking for does not include the curb, cut eight inches off 2 opposite ends.

• bill_vincent
    11 years ago

According to the technical service person at Laticrete that I emailed over the weekend, their pans can be cut to size. Have you ever done that? Recommended?

I mud all my pans, and then install the membrane over the mud. AS for cuttung the pan trays, I don't see a problem with it.

The company is KBRS Innovative Shower Systems (linked below). Do you know if this company is reputable?

I've never heard of them before right now.

DH says he's interested in this Tile-ez product. He says that it seems to be the easiest to install.

Any feedback on this product (linked below)?

Another one I've never heard of. One other thing to think about-- if you use someone else's materials for ANY part of the installation, Laticrete won't honor the warranty. Nor will Kerdi, if you go that route.

• AV656
    11 years ago

I would recommend looking at the Pro advance shower kit. I think it is the most affordable system on the market. I & my tile installers use it. I save time and money on every job. good luck on your project.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shower Kit

• TileTech
    11 years ago

Yeah, I went to the link at looked at the "ProvoMat" videos. Very impressive as it's a "Knock-Off" of the Schluter System Kerdi shower. It'll probably work, but I don't know what the guarantee is. Also, the drain doesn't seem to have the versatility in terms of lateral and vertical adjustment of the Kerdi Drain system. Always someone trying to copy a reliable system. If a couple of bucks are your criteria....go for it.

• davidro1
    11 years ago

i recommend not using any ready made pan at all, for a number of dumb reasons. Just get comfortable with mixing sand and cement into "mud".

• bill_vincent
    11 years ago

i recommend not using any ready made pan at all, for a number of dumb reasons. Just get comfortable with mixing sand and cement into "mud".

I agree.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK can I ask what the dumb reasons are.

I know a mud base seems simple to the pros and experienced DIYers but we are not experienced at this at all and it seems that a pre-sloped pan is so much easier. I know a mud base is less money but that is not my biggest concern for this part of the project. Thanks!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio