Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tikatoo

Help choosing between cabinet brands

tikatoo
12 years ago

We are just starting our master bath renovation and I have to choose between Kraftmaid and Signature Omega cabinets. I like the look and feel of the Omega cabinets better than the Kraftmaid but really like the color of the Kraftmaid cabinet better.

The cost difference is $700.00 more for the Omegas. I have read bad reviews online calling Kraftmaid - crapmaid! And very few reviews on Omega. I really the color of the Kraftmaid and the feel/look of the Omega. Does anyone have any experience with quality of either of these companies cabinets?

Comments (10)

• tikatoo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm really not that into hassles! There are already enough of them with this entire project! I really appreciate your definition of the Lexus and Chevy! That's a big help! Thank you so much for pointing out the difficultly you faced. I really liked the Omega product - just not the color. I may have to compromise. I guess I need to prioritize my needs/wants and think more about the overall look I want.

• kristine_ca
    12 years ago

I have Omega cabinets in my kitchen and girls' bathroom, and also planning them in the master bath at the moment. All cabinets have been as ordered with no problems, irregularities or boo-boos. Kitchen cabinets (maple) still work beautifully after seven years of hard work. Bathroom vanity has a painted finish which looks beautiful.

• User
    12 years ago

If you're willing to spend the money on quality, and you don't care for the stain choices offered by Omega, why not look into having something custom made. That way you don't have to compromise aesthetics for quality. A lot of people in the forum have done this and have been very happy with the results. Some have even claimed it was less expensive for them.

• rsvlle-nj
    12 years ago

I had Omega do 2 doors for me and I was not happy with their finishes. I had Rutt do a sample door and it came out beautiful...price was slightly more, however, I was unwilling to compromise on the color. Rutt can custom any color for you along with customizing the cabinets.

• tikatoo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm not sure what 'custom' means. Do I have to find a carpenter who can make them to fit my space? I live in a pretty small city and there are not a lot of choices.
    Finding a contractor to do the renovations was hard enough. I'm leaning more toward the Omega and reconsidering color choices. Again thanks for all the advice! I'm sure I'll be
    back with many questions. I'll even try to post pictures!

• User
    12 years ago

Custom means exactly that. Built to your specifications by a local cabinet maker. They aren't hard to find, most lumber yards have a list of cabinet builders in the area. Anything worth having and having right is worth the time and effort.

• busybee3
    12 years ago

i would definitely go with the better quality cabinet and rethink my color scheme---there are soooo many cool tiles and granites, etc out there in soooo many nice colors- might not be what you were first envisioning, but maybe you can find something you like just as well!

• antss
    12 years ago

FYI - Rutt is in a whole different league than KM & Omega !

• tikatoo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I thank you all. I did find a carpenter near by and will
    see what he can do for us. My sister had Rutt and they were
    beautiful but a bit beyond our budget. As for the color?
    Well I have definitely changed that! No matter which way I
    end up going the color will be changing! Thank you again for
    your help.