Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monicakm1

Toto Washlet Problem

monicakm_gw
10 years ago

Our S300 Washlet is about 5.5 years old. Recently it has started acting erratic. The washing pressure could be so low it won't even reach, to normal and anywhere in between. Wrong water stream from the wrong setting. Water spray patterns that it's never done before.

I've flushed the filter and unplugged the unit to reset the computer. Didn't help.

It's going to cost at least $200 to fix it. Has anyone else had this problem or any other suggestions on how to possibly fix it?

Thanks

Comments (35)

• homepro01
    10 years ago

Monicakm,
    Are you using the wall mounted remote? What happens if you use the controls on the side? What was the fix offered for $200? My s300 is over 6yrs old and I have not had any issues with it.
    Homepro01

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Homepro1, yes, I'm using the remote and yes I tried the controls on the Washlet it's self. I don't know what they'll fix, tech support said if resetting it didn't fix the problem and with what I described, he says it's electrical. $200 is what most repairs cost. They're supposed to call before doing any work.
    Monica

• noopd
    10 years ago

I don't think I can help you much. but we have S300 for more than 10 years.. I do notice the water pressure can behave a little odd sometimes now it's old, what i mean is that on the low pressure setting, it's weaker than it used too. But once we do pressure 4,5 or above, its pretty normal. we have no other problem with it. If you have checked all the hose, and filters, and cleaned them, I guess its' just old and you have to decide if you want to repair or replace.

This post was edited by noopd on Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 19:45

• attofarad
    10 years ago

The "normal" jet on mine seems to be mostly plugged. It will run for a short time (low volume), then turn off. The "soft" setting (different outlet) will run forever. Turned up, it isn't too soft, so we are just "making do" ;-) If it also stops, maybe I'll see if I can run some CLR or such though it.

• Fixter
    9 years ago

I had the same problem (loss of pressure) w/ 5-yr old Washlet S300. After checking filters, problem is hard water deposits clogging the tank/wand. Here's how I fixed it:
    1. Unplug, close supply valve, disconnect water supply and remove the unit from the toilet. This is a good opportunity to thoroughly clean everything. Drain tank (slide switch on rear of unit).
    2. Set the unit on its side with grey cap water filter up, remove water filter.
    3. Using a funnel or eye dropper, add a small amount of CLR (lime deposit remover) to water filter reservoir and water supply hose. Replace water filter.
    4. Reconnect unit to toilet. Open supply valve. Run Wand Cleaning. In my case, a bunch of foamy water came out and water began to freely run out around the wand.
    5. Test the rear cleaning and front cleaning. Pressure was restored like new.

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

fixter, thanks for your reply. We will try what you suggested but I'm not sure that's the problem because sometimes the water pressure is as it should be on the rear washes. There is no pattern to if and when it's going to spray like it should. Hardly any water comes out of the front wash EVER. But, couldn't hurt and may be the answer :) I'll let you know. Hopefully it's something I can get DH to do this week. Next weekend is the start of deer season. Yes, the world stops spinning till after the first weekend in Jan (g)

• Farnaz Khatibi
    8 years ago

hi, i have totto washlet,suddenly the controller is not working, and it's not possible to change, do you think it's possible to repair the controller, the botton on the seat is working.

• golden_berg
    8 years ago

Fixter, thanks for the advice which I followed. However now water is constantly leaking around the wand even when not used. This ever happen?

• homepro01
    8 years ago

Farnaz,

You can order a new remote from Toto if you give them a call, they can trouble shoot with you. They will provide the appropriate part number so you can order from a retailer

Goldenberg,

Is it the wand washing feature? When is the water leaking from the wand? All the time? Toto support had been great anytime I have called with a question give them a call.

Good luck!

• golden_berg
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Homepro01 - After introducing CLR as fixter suggested, leaks around the wand continuously (all the time). I called TOTO who wants me to send it in, possibly $300 repair + shipping both ways.

I'm mostly writing this so others will be careful with putting acid in the unit - for me I think it's bye-bye.

• homepro01
    8 years ago

Yikes Golden_berg. Sorry to hear that. That is really frustrating. The newer Totos are about $700 so it depends on how long you have had it, a new one may be more appropriate than fixing the older unit.

Best of luck!

• Brandon Rabbitt
    8 years ago

So I have had my toto S300 washlet for over a year now, I was cleaning it today, and now the Wand does not come out. It doesn't even beep when I hit the button.. Also the self cleaning is not working either..... Please help.

• homepro01
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Brandon,

did you unplug and replug the unit? Does the remote do anything? Give Toto a call in Georgia and they will walk you through some trouble shooting steps.

Good luck!

• briane49
    8 years ago

Hey did anyone find out what the problem was with the wand constantly dribbling and not stopping ? Everything else is working.

• irkemaro
    7 years ago

Monicakm, If you are still following this thread, I'm wondering whether you were able to solve your problem and if so, how did you resolve it. Our washlet is now 5 years old and is having similar problems.

• Jonathan Janikies
    7 years ago

I am having a problem with my washlet where the seat does not go all of the way up when you walk in the room. It goes about 3/4 of the way up and then stops and eventually goes back down. Has anyone else had this problem?

• mirtaliberman
    7 years ago

I would try white vinegar instead of CLR to get rid of hard water buildup.

• Tom Jones
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

My wand will not retract completely. It sounds like the motor is trying to retract it but it is stuck. Any suggestions It is a 350e SW583 unit.

• Peter Moran
    7 years ago

Mirtaliberman above has the right idea.....white vinegar is the way to go! I have a year old Toto Washlet TTF6631CS V2 & live in a fairly high hard water area in Greece. This model is almost like a B100 . Pressure became low especially on the 'Rear' setting. I have found the solution to this common problem, First close the water supply....then operate the wand system to drain some water out. Then isolate from the electricity supply. Remove the Washlet from its mounting and manoeuvre it around to the left & over so you have access to the two drain plugs. Remove both with a large flat screwdriver. Wash out the small fine filter mesh that is incorporated in the smaller of the two plugs. Set aside. Turn the Washlet over and allow the contained water to drain out. In my case, I noticed lots of fine particles of calc come out. Once drained, a little white vinegar can be squirted in and left a while to do its work. Replace both plugs but be careful not to over tighten. Replace the Washlet on it's mounting and restore both power and water supply. Allow the reservoir to re-fill with water. Operate the wand to flush. Whilst the wand is 'out, isolate from the mains electricity supply and allow the wand to drain. Get a small plastic container such as a small yogurt pot and half fill with neat white vinegar. Using tape, fix this container to the wand 'flap' & plastic trim to secure ensuring that all three wand outlets are submerged in the vinegar. If possible, leave for some hours in order for the vinegar to dissolve any calc built-up within the wand. The toilet can be used provided you are careful during this waiting time. Remove the container and discard. Restore power and allow the wand to clean itself using the wand button on the panel. The result is a clean wand with full pressure restored! The white vinegar doesn't harm the plastic in any way and if you have build up/deposits/staining on the wand flap, some paper tissue soaked in vinegar and left overnight will remove this. Its also worth cleaning the air filter screen once in a while to maintain the dryer air flow (where fitted)

• Darell Dickey
    7 years ago

I have the same problem as Tom Jones - my 350e suddenly will not retract the wand all the way. Makes a grinding noise all night while it tries. I unplugged, and shoved the wand back in manually. It worked fine for an hour, then came out to self clean and would again not retract. Now I can't push it in manually, It just sprays randomly in the air now.

• yuehoo
    6 years ago

Tom and Darell: I took my 350e apart and found the problem, but Toto won't sell the part to fix it since it's inside the unit. It's the gear strip. It cracked and that's the issue. I'd have to reassemble it and send it in for repair at about a $300 cost.

When I spoke with the technical service guy he knew exactly what it was too.

• Darell Dickey
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Thanks for the pic, yuehoo! After removal and cleaning, I poked around for a while to see if I could easily get inside the unit, and gave up after a short, fruitless search for how it is all held together. If I knew the part were available for sale, I'd have put the effort in to figure it out, but decided it wasn't worth it - thanks to the knowledge from YOUR efforts.

I sent my unit it. Cost me about $30 in shipping, And they charged me $180 to repair it and ship it back. They put in that new gear, a new wand, a new controller board and a new fan assembly. It was about six working-days turn around, unfortunately, that included four weekend days too, so about 1.5 weeks. $210 all in for the repair. Didn't make me happy... except for the part where my unit is working again!

If anybody else gets a new controller board, understand that what your remote says is NOT what the new board thinks is set. You have to go through every menu item and cycle it once to get everything in sync again. Took me a while to figure out why so many things were opposite of the setting I was seeing! I mean, come on! Light is set to off, and clearly the light is ON!

• yuehoo
    6 years ago

You bet, Darell. Thanks very much for the info on the repair too. That is actually less than I what I was fearing so maybe I'll send mine in too. But really, all I needed was that zip-tie looking gear to fix it. Probably costs pennies. It's very frustrating to have figured out how to take it apart (it was not easy, so I went slow), identified the problem and now not able to get the part.

Before I give up, I think I'll try to find a direct line to their service department in California. You never know, someone there might hook me up with the part.

Good info on the controller board and remote situation! That will be useful for someone searching someday.

• Darell Dickey
    6 years ago

Yeah, they sure don't make it obvious how to open the thing. I got part open, and then hit a wall. I'm not sure why they replaced so many parts on mine. I assume they found something out of spec, or maybe wanted me to have the latest hardware and/or firmware? No idea. But I guess I'm glad to have something more to show for my $210 besides that 10c plastic gear!

Good idea to put a bit of effort into shaking that part loose from Toto before sending it all back. It's all about finding that one right person who can make it happen. You KNOW it is sitting there in the parts bin. And it isn't like you'll be making a warranty claim if you mess it up.

Good luck!

• jon2017
    6 years ago

I have the same problem with my unit. Tech support & managers held the position of sending the unit in for a $200+ repair...I'd like to give the repair a try myself - please could anyone outline the steps to disassemble the washlet & did anyone manage to find a replacement gear or "patch" it?

• yuehoo
    6 years ago

Jon, I had no luck in finding the broken part. Toto won't sell them either. They say that since the unit mixes water and electricity in the small confines of a toilet seat they don't want people opening it up, messing something up and electrocuting themselves with a bidet. Can you imagine what your family would write in your obituary?

The only way I think you can swing it is to find a similar broken unit on eBay that has something wrong with it other than the wand mechanism. Like a cracked outer housing or something like that.

To take off the housing, there is one screw located at the back and the rest are plastic clips. I started on a corner with a screwdriver and carefully pried each clip up. Then, when the clips were all up, carefully unfold the inner portion from the outer casing. You might have to reach in and remove some wires from retaining clips while you do this.

The wand mechanism has the hoses running to it and a wiring harness. You can easily remove those. Getting the whole motor and wand out was a bit more of a challenge. You have to finagle it out being careful not to break any of the plastic arms holding it in place. There is one plastic cross brace at the back near the motor that you can remove to make this easier, though. I would not try to replace just the linear gear, but rather the whole motor unit with wand attached if you can find one.

Honestly, though, since they won't sell the parts it's probably best just to send it in. I know how hard that is to do. Especially after getting it apart and separating out the broken piece. All you need is that one piece and it would be done.

• PRO
    Amara Construction Inc.
    3 years ago

I have two S300e since 2015; both are starting to express old age symptoms:
    1- weird humming
    2- Strange ; spraying water far when its sensor sees you passing by!
    anyone has experienced similar situations?

• Bill Morgan
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I have had a 350 Washlet since 2013. It seems part of the joy of owning a Toto is having to send it for $200 in repairs plus shipping about every three years. First mine stopped communicating with the remote and could not be paired. After that repair it worked for a couple of years and the seat broke at the right-side hinge (looking at it from the front). It wasn't a weight issue, since it broke on the bottom, not the top. Now another two-three years on it started buzzing loudly when water pressure was turned up to max. Began using the normal setting and it worked okay for a few months until now it just barely wets your bum. I'll try the vinegar/CLR flush and see what happens. Very disappointing for such an expensive luxury.

• Darell Dickey
    3 years ago

I think of it as an expensive necessity, But yeah. Expensive. I have Swashes in other locations now. And will not likely buy another toto.

• Nancy in Mich
    3 years ago

I just need a butt dryer, since my hand-held spray hose does the job when the Toto in the other bathroom can't handle my problems! Maybe if the Toto's water functions die one day, I can move it to the hose bath.

• PRO
    Amara Construction Inc.
    3 years ago

I just hade my S300e repaired by sending it to Toto USA. It works perfectly now and I'll worry about it again in few years. I guess, it is like everything else, maintenance is needed.
    For me, using a toilet equipped with Toto, is an experience that is worth every $. I have three units in our three bathrooms.

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

How much is it now to send it in for repair? Five or six years ago it was $200. How did you package it? Do they send you an appropriate box? I actually like my husband's non-electric bidet better in some ways but I'd miss that warm water and warm seat!

• owenmalbec
    last year

Going through this right now....pre-spray was acting weird, making noise and dribbling not spraying. Just in the last couple of days. I removed the incoming water filter and it was pretty dirty with fine red/brown particulate which I cleaned. I did nothing else. I put the filter back and reconnected water and power. Now the wand area constantly pours water out. I've unplugged, tried wand cleanings, etc. Nope. Called Toto and they said it sounds like a bad solenoid (which means it could be solenoid or controller thereof....). I ordered their repair box be sent. Meanwhile I tried the vinegar in the inlet fix to see if it freed up anything. Nope, but worth a try. This thing is only 28 months old. We do love it and miss it when we travel, but I warned the wife that things like this are just problems waiting to happen..........I guess it's just less inheritance for the kids.

• Stephen Cannon
    5 months ago

Change the batteries in the remote. We had the same problem and this was the fix. It doesn't make a lot of sense but changing the batteries in the remote fixed the problems.