Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long does reglazing last?

Posted by sophie_blue (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 14, 08 at 17:21

I'm considering reglazing the tub in our co-op apartment because I was told that replacing the tub is difficult and expensive since the water has to be turned off in the entire building.

How long does reglazing usually last? This is the only bathroom and will be used every day.
TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long does reglazing last?

It depends on several factors. I know there are people here who have been happy with it, but a few of my neighbors tried it and it failed within a year. If you look at the sites for many of the leading reglazing companies you will see their examples always show "investment" (ie rental) properties.

I don't understand about the cost and the water. You will have to turn the water off to do any plumbing work, and if you don't have a shut off for your unit, that's goring to be a problem. I live in a 4-plex that was like but everyone paid to put in separate shut-offs to make life easier.

Replacing a tub is very expensive, but that's because of the difficulty of prying it out, getting it out of the house, fixing the walls, and getting the new one in and installed. Of course, if you have a free-standing tub like a clawfoot, it's not as difficult, as long as it will fit through your doorways.

o
tub

Depending on how your place is constructed, getting access to hook up the plumbing can also be a huge headache.

o

The expensive part is paying for the water to be shut off. This is a 200 unit building in NYC so no separate shut-offs planned. The tile around the tub is in good condition but if the tub is ripped out, I don't mind retiling the walls and floors to put in the tile I really like.

I will be replacing sink and toilet as well but they have separate valves and can be easily switched out.

o

Hi Sophie - I'm in a NYC coop also. You have to pay to have the water shut off??? Seems it happens every other week in my building, and I doubt anyone's paying to make it happen...

o

Charlikin,
That's what the broker told us when we were buying the place. I'm going to check with the management to see how much it is.

o

Re-glazing is a quick fix. Stinky smelling job. I hear it lasts from 1-5 years. When it fails, it begins to flake off. Commonly done when resale is about to occur or when old tub is so gross you can't stand it but can't afford to replace it. This is not a permanent solution. And when it begins to peel off, it looks AWFUL.

o

I had mine done and it started chipping within 6 months. It looks awful now. It's more that halfway chipped off so we're going to tear it out and replace it. Forget it if you drop a full shampoo bottle in the wrong spot. Maybe mine wasn't done properly, but it was done by a professional and I hate it.

o

Thanks for the replies! Looks like we won't be reglazing.

o

sophie,

If your tub is a "standard" tub installation, with a shower/tub valve in the wall above, then the water may not necessarily have to be turned off in order to replace the tub.

If you want to replace the valve, then the water has to be turned off.

I have two apartments in Manhattan, when I did a gut remodel of the baths I slipped the doorman a nice tip, turned off the water to my stack, did my business, then turned it back on. He fielded a couple of calls from other residents while the water was out. I did it during the day when most people were working.

Mongo

o

Not to hijack your thread, but I'm interested in this process. Got a nice original '40's tub and I was told the reglazing worked well and is relatively inexpensive. If it's not a worthwhile investment, are there any other solutions for an old (though decent), dirty-looking, unshiny tub?
I guess it doesn't have to be shiny, that's the fiberglass look. But clean, maybe a bleach bath. I seem to also recollect something I read about old bathtubs and sinks leaching lead. If I find it, I'll post.

o

What about a bathliner? I keep seeing this in a mall display. It's a fiberglass mold - custom made to your tub.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bathliners

o

tinker, my research indicates that bathliners are unreliable. They leak and mold starts to grow between the liner and the tub.

o

They are not any cheaper than doing it right, either. A friend just did it and it was close to five grand by the time it was all done, just for the mold and the install.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here