Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Panasonic recessed vent fan/light--LED

Posted by freshman (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 17:12

Has anyone used or looked at the Panasonic Whisper Recessed Vent Fan/Lights? A CFL version has been around for some time, but Panasonic just came out with an LED version. It has one 14 watt GU24 base LED dimmable lamp with specs of 575 lumens, 3000 Kelvin, and CRI>80. The 575 lumens concerns me...isn't that about the equivalent of a 40 watt incandescent bulb? But it also doesn't make sense. I thought LED lamps in general produce more lumens per watt than this (41 lumens/watt). The CFL version incudes one 18 watt GU24 spiral CFL that provides 1380 lumens, and is supposedly equivalent to a 75 watt incandescent. That would be plenty of light considering other light sources. I was hoping to go with the LED technology, but 575 lumens, if equal to a 40 watt incandescent, seems inadequate.

The model number is FV-08VRE1. It is in the online Panasonic catalog and is available through some retailers (Amazon has a good price on it), but no reviews anywhere yet.

I've read everything I can find, and it appears that the lumens per watt for LEDs can vary, but this one seems low for LEDs. I've asked Panasonic to verify the specs but have not yet received a reply. If anyone knows anything about this vent fan/light, or the lumens per watt output of LEDs in general, please advise.

Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Panasonic recessed vent fan/light--LED

I think you are over analyzing this puppy. Besides what you think , or what is customary really doesn't matter. That product has the spex listed.

It may or may not fit your needs, but it's your choice to buy it or not.

WHy not simply get the standard base model and buy any screw in LED light you want. It'll be cheaper and give you lots more options.

Here is a link that might be useful: LED lights

o

My husband is quite taken with the recessed vent fan/lights. I realize it's my choice whether to buy this particular model or not; I am just seeking opinions from anyone that might already have the light, or may have looked at it. Isn't that what this site is all about?

All of the Panasonic vent fan/lights that I have considered have a GU24 base, so no, I won't be able to use any LED light I want.

Thank you for your response.

o

We have the cfl model in our guest bathroom. Wonderful light. It is warm light not icky fluorescent cold light) Cannot imagine ever wanting to dim it...when you are in the shower you want all the light you can get, once you are out it is off.

We have a 25w. led recessed can over our master bath (separate Panasonic fan nearby). No where near as bright.

-Babka

o

Babka, thanks for your feedback. I think the safe thing to do is just go with the cfl model. I would not want to dim a shower light either!

o

freshman - If Panasonic doesn't make that model with a standard screw in light base ( so that you CAN use any LED lamp you want)

then just spec the Broan 744 that does have a screw in base.

It was first on the market anyway. Not as quiet as the Pany, but not loud by any means. And it's 75-100 bucks cheaper.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here