Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debrawnelson

New Panasonic recessed vent fan/light--LED

debrawnelson
9 years ago

Has anyone used or looked at the Panasonic Whisper Recessed Vent Fan/Lights? A CFL version has been around for some time, but Panasonic just came out with an LED version. It has one 14 watt GU24 base LED dimmable lamp with specs of 575 lumens, 3000 Kelvin, and CRI>80. The 575 lumens concerns me...isn't that about the equivalent of a 40 watt incandescent bulb? But it also doesn't make sense. I thought LED lamps in general produce more lumens per watt than this (41 lumens/watt). The CFL version incudes one 18 watt GU24 spiral CFL that provides 1380 lumens, and is supposedly equivalent to a 75 watt incandescent. That would be plenty of light considering other light sources. I was hoping to go with the LED technology, but 575 lumens, if equal to a 40 watt incandescent, seems inadequate.

The model number is FV-08VRE1. It is in the online Panasonic catalog and is available through some retailers (Amazon has a good price on it), but no reviews anywhere yet.

I've read everything I can find, and it appears that the lumens per watt for LEDs can vary, but this one seems low for LEDs. I've asked Panasonic to verify the specs but have not yet received a reply. If anyone knows anything about this vent fan/light, or the lumens per watt output of LEDs in general, please advise.

Thanks so much!

Comments (8)

• xedos
    9 years ago

I think you are over analyzing this puppy. Besides what you think , or what is customary really doesn't matter. That product has the spex listed.

It may or may not fit your needs, but it's your choice to buy it or not.

WHy not simply get the standard base model and buy any screw in LED light you want. It'll be cheaper and give you lots more options.

Here is a link that might be useful: LED lights

• debrawnelson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My husband is quite taken with the recessed vent fan/lights. I realize it's my choice whether to buy this particular model or not; I am just seeking opinions from anyone that might already have the light, or may have looked at it. Isn't that what this site is all about?

All of the Panasonic vent fan/lights that I have considered have a GU24 base, so no, I won't be able to use any LED light I want.

Thank you for your response.

• debrawnelson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Babka, thanks for your feedback. I think the safe thing to do is just go with the cfl model. I would not want to dim a shower light either!

• xedos
    9 years ago

freshman - If Panasonic doesn't make that model with a standard screw in light base ( so that you CAN use any LED lamp you want)

then just spec the Broan 744 that does have a screw in base.

It was first on the market anyway. Not as quiet as the Pany, but not loud by any means. And it's 75-100 bucks cheaper.

• pennpeggy
    9 years ago

Hi, freshman, I'm at the same decision point as you. I had spec'd out 2 LED cans and was planning on installing a separate Panasonic fan, when we discovered plumbing for the upstairs bath was going to make that impossible. So now I'm looking at one combination fan/light to pair with the other recessed light. I was hoping to go LED all the way....and am looking for feedback on this new product.

What did you decide to buy? And if you bought the LED version, can you tell me what the trim size/equivalent can size is of the unit? I'm thinking it is equivalent to a 6 in can recessed light (need to purchase the other can....) Thanks!

• lee676
    9 years ago

I bought Broan or Nutone (don't remember which, but same company) fan/lights that had standard Edison sockets specifically so I could use a widely-available standard LED light bulb in them, which gives off much better light than a CFL, and will probably never need replacing (CFL bulbs with special pin arrangements can be hard to find, and expensive when you do). You do need to make sure the LED bulb you're using doesn't have a warning on the packaging not to use it in fully enclosed fixtures. I used a Cree TW 60-watt-equivalent bulb, which works great.

• debrawnelson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, pennpeggy. I am just now placing my order, and I decided on the Panasonic CFL recessed light/vent fan combo. I specifically want Panasonic (have had Broan/Nutone and am ready to try something else), and the LED version of this recessed fan/light simply isn't bright enough. We are planning/hoping to age in place, so the more light the better. Good luck with your decision!