Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maddiecal_gw

Kohler Greek 1490-x 4ft. soaking tub

maddiecal
12 years ago

Does anyone have a photo of this tub installed in their bathroom. I am trying to get an idea how it would look in my small bath that I am planning on renovating soon.

Right now I have a 5' tub with shower combo. I will be picking up some space from an adjacent linen closet and will wind up with a gutted space of 8'3"x 7'10". I would like to be able to put in a separate shower this time.

Thanks

Comments (11)

• nycbluedevil
    12 years ago

OMG, I can't believe it. When I put this tub in, I couldn't find anyone at all who had ever used it let alone seen it. Having failed to find an actual user, I took a real flyer and went with it. We just started using it yesterday! It is wonderful and it looks great in a small space. I posted pics last night. I don't know how to link to it but my post was called "Pics of my bathrooms". The pics include two bathrooms. The Greek is in the hall bath, which is a 5' x 14' room. I had to put the bath in the back so we enter it from the front. We also use it as a shower but you won't need to do that. We built a step in front to cut the visual height of the tub and put mosaic marble on the top of the step to reduce the chance of slipping on the step. We also installed a grab bar. Look for my post and if you can't find it, I will take another pic and post again.

• maddiecal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks NYC Your bathrooms are absolutely beautiful!
    The tub is very attractive. Thanks so much for posting.
    Did the tub appear too high without the step in front? I plan on having a shower next to the 32" side of the tub and the 48" side would be facing when entering the room. I just hope that my room isn't too short. I don't think I could add a step without making the room look cluttered.
    Thanks again for you post.
    Maddie

• nycbluedevil
    12 years ago

Maddie--I think the step did make a big difference. It probably would have been ok without the step but it is just so much better with it and adds a dramatic element to the room. It doesn't have to be too big. I made mine only 10" deep.

My concern for you is that based on your measurements, I think you may be cheating yourself on your shower. A spacious stall shower is wonderful. What are your proposed measurements? Do you have to have a tub in this room? Do you have another bathroom that has a tub? For what it's worth, our only tub in the apartment is the Greek tub. We have only our big shower and when I want to take a bath I go down the hall.

Why don't you post a floor plan? Maybe this will work better than you think. I suspect it may depend on door placement. Also, can you do a pedestal sink or do you need a vanity?

• nycbluedevil
    12 years ago

Maddie--just to clarify--the step is 10" deep (meaning wide). It is 7.5" high.

• maddiecal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am only in the very early planning stages right now and am still playing around with floor plans. The style of tub is not written in stone but I did want to see how it would look. BTW where did you purchase the tub from.
    Unfortunately, it is the only tub in the house. I have an early 70's house and the master baths were not huge back then. The shower and 5' tub are currently a combo. That is why I was looking at 4' tubs. I would really like to have a separate shower, but it doesn't look good. The full space is 8'3" x 7'10 1/4".
    I'm amazed that you have so much room being in Manhattan. I am not so far away, just a bit north in Putnam.

• maddiecal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much NYC. You are right, the depth of the tub is important to make up for the shorter length of the tub. I absolutely love the look you've created. Both bathrooms are so beautiful and elegant!
    You must be so happy that all your hard work paid off.

I'm hoping that one of the contractors that we have coming for estimates will be able to help with the design to some degree. At that point I will try and post a plan.
    I hate this process.
    Thanks again for your advice.

• bonniem13
    12 years ago

NYCbluedevil,
    Is it possible for me to still see your Kohler Greek tub photos? We are about to have one installed. Not sure where to look for the pics. Nothing on your "page".
    Thanks for your help.

• nycbluedevil
    12 years ago

I posted a picture of the tub in a post on June 24, I think under the title "pics of my new bathrooms." Let me know if you still have trouble finding it.

• spice88
    12 years ago

NYCbluedevil,
    Hello, I was searching for Kohler Greek tubs and came across this forum. I couldn't find your photos when I tried to do a search based on title "pics of my new bathrooms". Tried searching Gallery and nothing came up either. Could you please post the photos here on this link again? I'm desperate as I need to show the contractor what we want to do today. Hope you are online. Thanks much for your help!

• nycbluedevil
    12 years ago

Unfortunately, I can't post the photo on this link now but I will find the post (it came up when I searched) and I will bump it up to page one for you.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company