Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yshiau

alcove tub too short

yshiau
10 years ago

Hi, looking for some advice. I purchased a 5' alcove tub but the space is actually for a 5.5' tub. is it complicated to use the 5' tub for the slight larger space? I was thinking a longer ledge could be built to the wall but didn't know if this would create longer term maintenance problems. thanks.

Comments (10)

• allison0704
    10 years ago

DH and I helped DD2 remodel her MBath. Removed a 6ft tub and replace with a 5ft tub. The remaining foot hides the motor and provides shelves above for towels and display.

More pictures, material info, etc:

Here is a link that might be useful: DD2 MBath Remodel

• yshiau
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you your reply. what a beautifully executed solution.

as I use the space for a tub/shower, I'll probably stick to tiling the area with insets as I wouldn't want maintenance issues if the area gets wet.

thanks again!

• allison0704
    10 years ago

Thank you.

Oh, well... you only said "tub" in your original post! lol

• yshiau
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yes, I was unclear. thanks though!

• enduring
    10 years ago

I think making shower shelves makes great sense. If you don't go into the wall you'll have around 5-6" deep shelving. I you do go into the stud wall you can get around 8-9" deep shelves. You could even light some of them.

If you have to build something on that alcove wall to make up the difference maybe the wall could be redesigned all together and looked at in the larger context of you bath. It may open up other possibilities. Maybe instead of the end wall here your head goes as lying in the tub, it is the plumbed wall that is reconfigured.

• yshiau
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the additional thoughts, enduring.

will have to think about those other possibilities, though I'm not too creative.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

I have a space just under 6' that I installed a 5.5' tub. I built a small ledge off the back. Originally there was a 5' standard tub in there with a ledge just under 12". Make certain you waterproof it just as you would the tub surround (assuming you're doing a shower as well) and you'll be just fine.

• yshiau
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks pricklypearcatus. I assume you are happy with the result? I fully intend to have it waterproofed (the entire tub area) but was wondering if I should do a lower ledge or just go higher. considering comfort for my head as well. i'm going toward the higher idea having a lower ledge for bath soaking access. still want a higher inset for products when I'm showering.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

My current tub is a drop in, so it's a little bit different. The tile is just under the lip of the tub. I am very pleased with the result. It's a nice place to set things and I like the look. My previous tub was a standard cast iron tub and the tile ledge was originally just a little bit taller than the tub itself. They used what I think was bullnose tile to provide a gentle curve from the tile down to the tub. The tile basically was flat and then had a curved edge that was deep enough to go over the lip of the tub. (I'm not positive "bullnose" is the right term.) You could also have the ledge and then a small floating shelf higher up where it would not interfere with bathing, but would allow a high shelf for access during showers.

• yshiau
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks ppc. I do want to take advantage of the tile flange so probably best to go a little bit taller than the tub itself. if I go with another tub, i'll probably order the 5.5' length one anyway.