Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardeningglovequilter

Anyone use hooks for bath towels instead of bars?

MiMi
10 years ago

Does anyone use hooks for bath towels instead of bars? I was wondering how the towels dry hanging on hooks vs. bars. If they dry ok or not?

Comments (19)

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Have used hooks for years...take up less space and easier to use. Towels dry fine in 24 hour period between showers.

• badgergal
    10 years ago

My daughter has hooks instead of bars in her master bath and she loves them. Easier to use than a towel bar but definitly gives a more casual look which is what she wanted for her beachy look bathroom. Be sure the hook has a pretty good size projection so the towels don't slip off.
    Here is a link to one previous thread on this subject. There are other posts as well if you google "towel bars or hooks"

Here is a link that might be useful: Towel bars vs hooks

• jrueter
    10 years ago

we have some hooks in DS's bathroom. Since he is young (now 13) he has always prefered the ease of the hooks (or better the floor), but I have noticed that the paint under his towel is starting to flake. This hook has a pretty short projection - not more than 2". Probably if the projection was longer so the towel didn't lay up against the wall while wet it would be fine. It may also have to do with the paint - we have had to redo the paint in the shower areas of both baths where they are more humid, and are looking into getting better ventilation as well.

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

We have both and no problems

• catbuilder
    10 years ago

I have both hooks and towel bar. I like the ease of use of the hooks, but the towels definitely dry much faster on the bar. Sometimes the next day the towels on the hooks still won't be dry. But, then, we have four people using one bathroom, and my youngest daughter (with really long, thick hair) always takes two showers a day.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

If you do a search in the home decorating forum you'll find several long threads about this.

For me, in humid FL, I don't find that towels dry well with hooks, although I prefer the way they look.

• rjr220
    10 years ago

I just posted pics of my finished small guest bath where I used hooks.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg0516163319990.html?19082

just finishing up a weekend of houseguests and I am wishing that instead of the bar at the far wall, I would have put 3 or 4 hooks, as they would hold more towels after completed showers than that bar . . . . May still happen

• MiMi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the replies... I want to put up 4 hooks where one long towel bar is now. In the summer it's pretty common for my husband to take 2-3 showers a day depending.. work, yard work, golfing etc... and two towels are just not enough. The space in this area is 36" wide and would like to find something that looks unique, maybe something antique.... not just a plain board, to put the hooks on, not attach them directly to the wall. I feel like the hooks would be more secure then using sheetrock wall anchors.

• Empress_Bathrooms
    10 years ago

Hi dbfirewife,

If you want 4 hooks and are abit stuck for space why not have a look at getting a double robe hook? This Vado one looks sleek and it's very reasonably priced.

Hope it helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Vado Double Robe Hook

• emily_mb
    10 years ago

Depends on the ambient humidity. Where I live I would have a bundle of mold. Also a good place for dust mites to breed because it would take longer for the towels to dry. Now, if you wash them in extra hot water with a little Clorox, it might be ok.

• Debbi Branka
    10 years ago

I've used hooks since about 1988. Love them. No issues.

• itltrot
    10 years ago

We've been using hooks for a couple years since we started using the hall bath instead of the master bath. The hooks are super easy to use but I do notice it takes longer for towels to dry. I often shower night and morning so the towel is still damp most of the time.

You might look into a multiple hook like this one. I know they can be found cheaper than listed on this site but can't remember where at the moment.

Here is a link that might be useful: Triple Hook

• gabbythecat
    10 years ago

We are planning to use hooks in our new home. I'm thinking of either bear hooks - one of our bathrooms is going to be "barely a bathroom" or wooden pegs. They will be big enough to easily hold a bath towel...Our other bathroom will have an outhouse/forest theme, so hooks/pegs related to that will work..and in an "outhouse", pegs will be very appropriate. Casual.

We are building a log home, so the more casual hooks will work well for us. Besides, it seems like no matter how much time I spend hanging towels on bars, they always look a bit untidy. At least hanging them on pegs - they always like they are supposed to be casual..

I hope everything dries well...it's just my dh and me, so we don't have a lot of wet towels. But I hope this peg thing will work. He likes the idea, though!

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

We have hooks....but Dh tends to bundle the towel up on the hook so it doesn't dry. I redo to it letting it drape down and they dry easily. We don't reuse towels but I like to have them dry before putting in the hamper.

Hooks will work but you may need to show someone how to hang the towel so it drys.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

I suppose the drying time would be determined by the relative humidity (do you have A/C?), or live in FL vs. CA, and also by the thickness of your towels.

When we lived in Illinois w/o A/C, even cheap thin towels wouldn't dry. Living in CA now, w/o A/C things dry in a couple hours...no humidity.

You might get some of those Command Hooks by 3M that are easily removable just to see how hooks work for you before you invest in drilling holes in your walls.

-Babka

• benlinus
    10 years ago

yes we have both in two different bathrooms, but i'm ok and fine with hooks, take up less space and easier to use. They will be big enough to easily hold a bath towel, but the towels definitely dry much faster on the bar.

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

I suppose the drying time would be determined by the relative humidity (do you have A/C?), or live in FL vs. CA, and also by the thickness of your towels.

I agree. And also how you hang your towel on a towel bar. If you fold your towel in half and then hang it on a towel bar it will take longer to dry than if it is not folded first but rather stretched out over the bar.

Bottom line, there are a number of variables not just towels dry better on one versus the other.

• knoxmomx2
    10 years ago

Humidity, how you hang the towel, how wet the towel is when it's hung, and the size/plushness of the towel will all make a difference.

We bought some very plush, very oversized, 100% cotton bath sheets a couple years ago, and when I use them to dry my hair they DO NOT dry within 24 hours when hung on the robe hooks next to our shower. I need to throw them over over the curtain rod to initiate drying and then move them to the hooks when they're almost done--which means, in the hot, humid East Tennessee summer, that sometimes they just stay on the rod to dry all day. It looks pretty awful, but it's the only solution we have at this point.

If you have the option to hang towel rods, I'd highly recommend that solution. In a perfect world, I'd have a heated towel rack right across from my shower!

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County