Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frydmice_gw

Reglazing tub

frydmice
12 years ago

My house was built in 1974 and we have the usual aqua blue and harvest gold in the bathrooms. I am renovating the harvest gold room after a bathroom disaster involving leaks on an outside wall vent pipe. My budget doesn't allow for pulling the tub out and starting over although I am replacing the toilet and sink (white) and putting in new floor tiles and a granite countertop.

Does anyone have any experience with reglazing of a tub? The websites that I have searched both praise and condemn it and some say it is cheap and others very expensive. I would appreciate any advice if you or someone you know has done this. Does it last? What does it cost?

Comments (9)

• Janieful
    12 years ago

We reglazed our ancient tub four years ago and it is still going strong. But I would NOT use one of the DIY kits you can buy. You want a skilled person to do it. Plus the chemicals they use are pretty noxious. We do have one small compromise to the surface, but that's because a plumber used the tub to wash out a bucket and I believe punctured the finish with a sharp object. It is small, and we are watching it. Once it starts to peel, I'm not sure how you can repair it.

Basically you have to baby your tub once you do it. No abrasive cleaners (comet, baking soda, even Bon Ami). I wouldn't even use a Soft Scrub. You should just use a tub spray cleaner or vinegar, or our guy even said soap and a sponge or rag.

But I think probably any tub should be cleaned gently. The reason so many porcelain tubs and sinks are so hard to clean and gross is because people have scrubbed them over the years and worn the finish off of them.

I would recommend it. We paid $300. If you tub has already been glazed, which it doesn't appear yours has been, it costs an extra hundred or so to remove the first coat and start over.

We had a new looking tub in one afternoon and just had to wait a few days for it to dry. It's a great improvement. It's not only more frugal than replacing your tub but also much greener, since I assume your ugly tubs are still completely functional.

Oh, if you have young kids, I would only let them use soft bath toys. We had a bunch of hard plastic toys that my kids would bang on the bottom of the tub. I stopped that real quick.

• EnolaEagle
    12 years ago

Right on the money, Janie! This is definately a job for a pro. In my area, Tub Refinishing goes from $475-$550 and an additional $100 bux or so for stripping. A key part to one of these installations is to have the drain and overflow REMOVED and reinstalled after the job is complete so that the paint is underneath the drain which will cut down on the chance of chipping around the drain. If taken care of it will last a long time and the price is low enough that 5 refinishes will meet the cost of 1 liner.

Here's a site with some goood info on it.

Todd Stull
    Enola, PA

Here is a link that might be useful: Capital Refinishing

• frydmice
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! This information is very helpful.

• IndigoAthena
    12 years ago

I would actually be a little leary about reglazing....from what I've heard you will get one year max out of it before it starts peeling, and you have to use special cleaners to avoid damage.

My Mom just did a remodel project and she actually purchasing an acrylic overlay. The company she used (I forgot who) put in in quickly, and she has a lifetime warranty now.

I think it was a bit above the $700 mark, but knowing Mom, not too much so...Just a thought to save you the hassell of doing this a 2nd time....

• EnolaEagle
    12 years ago

Athena,
    A tub reglazing will not last forever. If you hire the proper technician and the refinishing is done right, it will last for at least a solid 8 years or more. And a refinishing warranty can be from 1 to 5 years.
    You have to use specific cleaners with any tub!!!
    So there is some downfalls to refinishing and here's the down fall of liners...

Small scratches can be repaird but deep ones can not. A deep gouge in a liner which goes through the acrylic coating into the plastic backer is typically NOT covered in the warranty...
    If you use the wrong cleaners on a liner it will crack and that will not be covered in your warranty.
    If the seals break around the tub lip (against the walls) water will leak inbetween the 2 tubs and the company will have to come and pull the liner out and reset it in which that would be covered in the warranty but who wants that hassle??

Cost vs. Cost... you can void the warranty on either one and if that happens then you have to pay for the job over again... $550.00 or $2,400.00??

One is not better than the other, it's comes down to your wallet and the Sale's Pitch that you like to hear...

Todd Stull
    Enola, PA

• jakkom
    12 years ago

>>I would actually be a little leary about reglazing....from what I've heard you will get one year max out of it before it starts peeling, and you have to use special cleaners to avoid damage. >>

How about the experience of someone who had it done in 2003?

As with ALL paint jobs, prep is everything. Check references and do your homework.

This is smelly paint, a high gloss polyurethane similar to auto paint. They will block off everything with plastic and should remove window screens as well. They will leave you a touch-up kit - USE IT immediately if the surface gets nicked. Water going underneath the paint will lift it off.

The most critical thing to remember is that ALL paint jobs, no matter what type of paint and what surface, needs a full 30 days to cure completely. You can use the tub after three days, but be gentle with it until those thirty days are up. People who don't pay attention to this are the second biggest reason for reglazing failure (first being not doing your homework and using bad installers).

The tub bottom may be quite slippery afterwards - I neglected to ask if they had any non-slip texturing they could do for the bottom, but my 83-yr-old MIL who uses the tub, is accustomed to using a non-suction cup bathmat. She had the same reglazing done in her house on tub and shower, and 24 yrs after it was done, she sold the house and it was still in perfect shape.

The paint formulations have changed since hers was done and I wasn't expecting it to last forever. We have suction cup safety bars (plastic) which we use on the solid surface shower surround. Every once in a while they pop off and fall into the tub, or we knock over a big bottle of shampoo when we're cleaning. They're fairly heavy for being plastic, but there has been no damage to the paint at all.

The tub still looks perfect. Because of the high-gloss, cleaning is simple. You can't use abrasives, but you don't need to - a spraying with one of those soap scum removers and a swish of a sponge gets everything off and the tub is gleaming again.

Smartest $350 we ever spent!

• ShepherdMan
    12 years ago

I have seen it done by Professionals in Apartments for quite sometime. If done with the proper equipment and material it looks great and last for a few years. Sure is a cheap way to change the color of tubs,sinks,cabnits,countertops. Do some research and find a company that knows what they are doing.

Jerry Marshall

Here is a link that might be useful: Allseasons Supply

• User
    12 years ago

You can buy a whole new tub for less than reglazing. And you can do a whole new tub and tile walls for what an insert costs. Sounds like a no brainer to replace rather than attempt a questionable redo.

• jakkom
    12 years ago

>>You can buy a whole new tub for less than reglazing. And you can do a whole new tub and tile walls for what an insert costs. Sounds like a no brainer to replace rather than attempt a questionable redo.>>

It depends on the situation. Our original tub had a contoured side and the original floor tile would have to be replaced. The tub might be $400, but redoing the floor was an estimated $3K due to various issues. Therefore, reglazing the tub was far more economical.