Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions for a very nice, but not super $$$ white subway tile?

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 6, 12 at 15:58

I've decided to do our children's bathroom (tub/shower combo) and their vanity area in a classic white subway tile, but have no idea where to begin as it seems everyone offers subway tile. I want the standard size, high quality, but not super expensive or super cheap. Please let me know your suggestions and why you recommend the tile you do. Thanks so much for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions for a very nice, but not super $$$ white subway t

If you are just going simple and classic with no beveled edge, I'd just use American Olean. They carry it at Lowes as well as at tile shops. We looked at more expensive versions but they all look the same unless you want a bevel, crackle or hand made look. You can get a very nice bead to put at eye level to add some interest. If you want a really pretty accent, then you can go with Adex which is more expensive, but offers a wider range of wide accent tiles.

o

I just finished tiling our kids' bath using Interceramic ultra white subway tiles. They're a soft white - not a bluish white like some other tiles I looked at. They were around 21 cents per tile at Floor and Decor. I didn't like the standard white color offered at Lowes. They looked dingy next to the ultra white.

o

We used American Olean Ice White. You can get it at local tile shops or special order from Lowes for $60 per box of 100 tiles (so $4.80/square foot). When you use the ice white you can order trim pieces in more styles than the stock gloss white they carry in the store.

Dal Tile also has a bright white that was slightly less expensive per square foot. We chose American olean because we were using their satinglo hex mosaic floor tile. We are happy with the quality and the installer had no complaints.

o

In most bathrooms and especially in a children's bathroom, I'd not hesitate to use Amerlican Olean or Daltile.

o

We used the Olean from Lowes in our 4' x 8' walk in shower and it is stunning. Used the matching hex for the floor. We went with all white tile and trim. For interest, we built an arched doorway (no door). I love it and it was cheap compared to all other options.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here