Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
divadaisy_gw

Is granite tile a good idea for a shower?

divadaisy
16 years ago

I am new to this site and so happy my husband found it. It is a wealth of information! We are beginning a remodel of our master bath. The shower will be 36x48. I found some 12" granite tiles (Forest Green) on sale at HD that I like. We are thinking of using these with a shower pan. I'm getting conflicting information about grout(sanded or unsanded)/no grout, sealing, cleaning, maintenance etc. Does anyone have experience to share? Thank you so much.

Comments (6)

• dmlove
    16 years ago

Just want to add one thing - I expected my shower floor to be 6 x 6 tiles (cut from the 12x12s on the rest of the floors), but they had laid the 12x12s before I knew it. Ours are matte finish. We decided to try it, and we have had no problem - drainage is fine and they aren't slippery at all, but again, they're matte, not shiny.

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

We are thinking of using these with a shower pan. I'm getting conflicting information about grout(sanded or unsanded)/no grout, sealing, cleaning, maintenance etc. Does anyone have experience to share? Thank you so much.

In spite of the fact that there are those who've used 12x12 tiles for their shower pans, I'm with oruboris on this. You want to keep the pan tiles at 6x6 or less, and the smaller the better, so as to conform better to the cone shaped slope from the walls into the drain. That's not to say you can't use this stone, or even these tiles. You can always have the tiles cut down either to 6x6 or 4x4 and use the smaller squares. Now, onto your other questions.

Concerning grout, there is one thing, and one thing ONLY that will determine whether you sanded or unsanded grout, and that's the size of the grout joint. Anything less than 1/8", you use unsanded grout. Anything 1/8" or larger, you use sanded. No exceptions.

As for sealing, cleaning, maint. issues, you couldn't ask for a better natural stone for the shower. The reason is that granite is a much denser stone than any of the others, and as such, it won't allow as much in the way of staining. It also isn't affected AS MUCH (I won't say it's not affected at all) by the acidity of some cleaners. You still want to use a ph neutral cleaner for normal cleaning. Now for the sealing part. I'm not familiar with that granite specifically. There are many that shouldn't be sealed, and others thatr just really don't need to be. The best way to tell whether you should seal your stone is to take a wet rag or sponge, and set it on the stone for about 5 minutes. Come back and pick the rag or sponge up, and if you see a wet "stain" (a dark area on the tile), then you want to seal it.

• divadaisy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you very much for your time and input! It's been helpful. We were planning on just using the granite on the walls, but it's nice to know 6x6 tiles are an option for the floor. I'll try the "sponge" test!

• Barbara Lande
    5 years ago

I am using granite tiles in my shower. I am putting a liquid on the cement board to waterproof it first. I purchased white mottor with additive in it. The contractor wants to use thin-set fast drying instead from home depot. Is this o-k to do. will the tile stay on the wall? What kind would you recommend if any? I have another question I did seal the top of the granite before installation but do I or should I seal the underside of the tile also before installation? I am thinking of epoxy grout between 1/16" or 1/8" space

• millworkman
    5 years ago

"I am using granite tiles in my shower."

Are you sure they are granite?

"The contractor wants to use thin-set fast drying instead from home depot."

No thinset ever in a shower or wet area application. Which makes me very concernced for your choice in tile setters.

"I am putting a liquid on the cement board to waterproof it first"

You are doing this?

Who did the tile backer? Who did the shower pan? Pictures?