Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Antique brass

Posted by renov8r (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 15:41

For years I have been looking forward to replacing our shiny brass cupboard hardware. Now I am looking at the antique brass that seems to be popular, and I'm starting to like it. Also looking at the antique brass faucets. What do others think? Is it a fad for a year or two or something that will be a keeper for years to come. I'm torn - can't decide. Any opinions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Antique brass

I've always liked it and think it's classic.

Trends are fun, but they are designed to keep us buying things. My advice is to get what you like and ignore it when something else comes into vogue. Eventually, what you have will become the "new" finish, HA!

o
RE: Antique brass

You can do what you like, and ignore whether it is trendy or not. Many large manufacturers have always kept a little shiny brass in their offerings, with some also offering some kind of matte brass-tone or light bronze-tone finishes as well.

The most common and least trend driven finish is chrome. Chrome replaced polished nickel in the early part of the 20th century.

The reason is that before good lacquers brass needed a lot of upkeep and nickel needs minimal upkeep and chrome needs virtually none. If you look at bath hardware where the lacquer has failed, the brass is almost black.

I don't know if you will get a lot of bang for your buck changing from bright brass to a softer brass finish--if you are starting to like brass, maybe you can keep what you have?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here