Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lkietur

Is 3ft X 6ft shower too long and narrow?

auzzy
13 years ago

If I replaced my existing 3ft X 6ft combo bath/shower with a walk-in shower, will it be too long and narrow? Due to the placement of the window I can't make it any wider than 3ft. Two of the 3 walls are exterior walls, so I could put showerhead(s) on only on one of the 3 foot walls. I had considered reconfiguring the bathroom to have a separate walk-in shower and tub but that was becoming too expensive and I'm hoping this plan fits better into my budget, as it would not involve moving the plumbing stack. I think I read on this site that the water wouldn't even reach 6 feet and I don't see any reason to put a bench at the end because I can't imagine ever sitting down and holding the handheld showerhead. Can't think of what I would do with the extra 12 inches if we made the shower 3ft X 5ft, can you? So, what do you think of a 3ft X 6ft shower with only one showerhead?

Comments (16)

• rlthomas7
    13 years ago

I'd look for a bench if for no other reason than shaving my legs. You need to be out of the spray for that! And that's also a good place to keep your shampoo, soap, etc. so that it's not getting wet all the time - the less water hitting this stuff, the less mildew and soap scum to clean later.

• User
    13 years ago

A teak bench would be a good addition to your shower. I'm not much for the built in benches, unless you have beaucoup space.

Your long slim shower could one day be a useful feature in a handicap bath.

• chloe5
    13 years ago

I just finished my 3x5.5 shower and I love it. It is a perfect shape for a shower. I am hoping to get away without any shower doors and the primliminary showers we've taken seem to indicate that we'll only need a glass partition and not a full shower enclosure. I highly recommend the teak bench.

• auzzy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was planning to do a ledge for shaving legs rather than a built in bench. I had read here that if you want a bench later a teak one could be used instead. Chloe5--Is your shower also an alcove with tile walls on 3 sides? Where is the glass partition going to be installed and how big is it? Not sure how this would work. You'd need glass at the showerhead end and you'd want to be able to turn on the faucet without having to step inside the shower but then enter at the opposite end? Would love to know how you have planned this out. Thanks.

• sundownr
    13 years ago

We have a shower that is appx 3' x 8.5' in one bath and appx 3' x 6' in the other bath. They both have walls on three sides. We did a half wall with glass above it and no door on one and we did install a door on the other one. We had the shower controls installed in the half wall so you can reach in to turn the water on and not get wet.

Here are photos of both.
    http://www.pbase.com/cjw/image/122768183
    http://www.pbase.com/cjw/image/122768166

• glsreads
    13 years ago

I'm also doing a 3x6 foot shower. It'll be an alcove with three tile walls. Currently planning just a shower curtain as there's not enough room between shower and toilet for a wall and I'm not good at keeping glass clean. I'm debating between a tile shower bench at the back end and an installed fold-up teak seat somewhere along the 6' wall. If I go with fold-up seat do I center on the wall? Suggestions? Really appreciate all the before and after pictures! Can't wait till I can share my own project.

• marie_louise
    13 years ago

I think it sounds perfect.

Our current master bath shower is 3 feet wide and 5 feet long, with 3 shower heads in a U-shaped configuration. The door is at the back half of one of the 5 foot walls. If it was 3x6, I could put a bench at the short end opposite the shower heads.

• houseful
    13 years ago

Could you install the shower head on the six foot wall? That would give you more elbow room. Install the bench on one or the three foot walls. Also consider a hand held so you can rinse the shower walls when you clean the shower.

• auzzy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Unfortunately the only interior wall is 3 ft. The 6 ft wall is an exterior wall, and I've read here not to put plumbing pipes in an exterior wall if you leave where the temp falls below freezing.

• PRO
    Avanti Tile & Stone / Stonetech
    13 years ago

How about a rain shower overhead? You could even couple that with a traditional showerhead on the short wall with a diverter control....

• auzzy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've seen lots of photos of the rain shower heads but not sure I understand their purpose and why people like them. Don't they pour water right on top of your head? When would you want to use it instead of the handheld showerhead?

• jimnyo
    13 years ago

sundownr, don't know if you're still on here, but i love the pictures of your bathroom. in the first one, may i ask where you got the long framed mirror and why you chose to put it up to the backsplash, as opposed to have the frame extend across the bottom of the mirror too? thanks!

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

I don't recommend installing the showerhead on the long wall in a shower that shape, even if it is an option.

Our shower is 3' x 5' with the showerhead in the middle of the long wall. it's somewhat awkward moving to one side or the other of the spray. I'd much preferred it to be in the far, short wall, but I could not because it's an exterior wall. But if the showerhead is on one of the short walls, there is a lot more open space (outside the spray) to move around in, which is nicer....

• HU-407411262
    2 years ago

I have got my new bathroom constructed recently and still waiting to use it as I have not shifted to my new house yet. I have given 36" X 72" space for my shower area which will be covered with partition glass wall. Will that space be sufficient for shower ? Photo is attached of design

Pls

• Nancy in Mich
    2 years ago

You may want to start your own thread with your question. People often ignore when a ten year-old thread pops back up with a new comment added.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz