Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rkalish

Choosing a master bath layout

rkalish
11 years ago

I have a couple of designs from my architect for the master bath. Would like to get some opinions between the two or new ideas to improve on them.

Major differences are really just the toilet/linen closet locations. With the toilet adjacent to the shower, I could possibly work in a doorless shower arrangement with a 4-5 foot open wall separating the toilet and shower.

{{gwi:1448210}}

{{gwi:1448211}}

Comments (15)

• ShellKing
    11 years ago

What about removing that foyer between the bathroom and closet -- so your closet is accessed by a door in your bathroom. That gives you more room to work with. We are remodeling our master bathroom to essentially do just that -- we are making what was once a hallway leading to both our closets and the bathroom and making that area part of the bathroom.

I don't think toilets always have to been in their own room, but I think it's nice if you can't see the toilet from the sinks/shower/tub. So maybe it's behind a pony (half) wall or all full wall. If two people are using the space at the same time it affords a little privacy.

For example, what if you left the foyer room - but put the door on the North side. Then modify Scheme A so there is a full or pony wall between the vanity and the toilet -- but the toilet goes where the linen closet is shown. Then you can put the linen closet so you would be facing the linen closet door when sitting on the toilet. (Ours is in front of the toilet, which makes replacing the toilet paper really easy.) In this version, you could do like we've just done and add pull-out hamper on the 'back' of the linen closet (it takes up the bottom couple feet) which is accessed across from your closet.

• rkalish
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We decided that we didn't want to have to go through the bathroom to the closet - so kind of stuck with the hallway.

Took me a while to figure out your layout concept - finally did and will take a look at that with the architect. I like it because it tucks away the toilet and it isn't in view of the shower. Plan B has the half wall between the vanity and the toilet, but it stares at the shower.
    thanks

• ShellKing
    11 years ago

okay, so if you keep the foyer area, I think moving the door to the North wall opens up some ideas. A picture is worth a 1000 words! Did my idea make sense without a sketch? :)

• rkalish
    Original Author
    11 years ago

MovIng the door makes good sense. Allows to switch the toilet to
    where the closet is and be more hidden for a bit for privacy.
    I will try sketching it up and show to my architect

Thanks

• Ruth_123
    11 years ago

Both of these layouts look good and would work well.

It's difficult to give advice about bathroom layout, as different things "bug" different people, right?! It doesn't bother most people, but personally, I don't like to be able to see the toilet from the bath!

How would you feel about losing the foyer BUT accessing the WIC from the BEDROOM (by pocket door). You could move the bathroom door over a bit towards the chest of drawers and have the desk area between the two doors...? Or would that bother you...? Like I said, it's a personal thing really!

But losing the foyer would give you more room to play with and you could do a layout similar to shown in the following link, but with a tall window on the end wall (beside the shower), a window over the bath (on the left), and tucking the toilet away at the end. I think that this might make the bathroom feel brighter and more spacious too.

Just another option!

Good luck with your project!

All the best,
    Ruth

Here is a link that might be useful: Bathroom layout

• rkalish
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I agree that there are always things that bug each person differently. The original layout by the architect had the toilet as the first thing you saw on entering the room. We use the tub very infrequently, so for me, viewing the toilet from the shower is what bugs me (what the person in the shower sees).

The idea from Shellking put the toilet out of sight and I will try to work through it and see how it works. It moves the bathroom door from the left of the hallway to the front of the hallway (where the linen is in plan b). The toilet is then tucked in where the linen is in plan a.

I wanted to do what you suggested with a separate door from the bedroom wall to the closet and bath. The little hallway really serves no purpose. Problem is the entrance to the bedroom. To fit the double doors to the room, requires the doorway to be pushed in to the left and doesn't leave room for a door into the closet. How would you see that working?

• nothingbutboys
    11 years ago

Agree with removing the foyer/little hallway as it seems like that space could be used for better purposes. I love the idea of pocket doors.

• rkalish
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have a hard time seeing how to squeeze the door in for the closet. If the bedroom door swings in, it covers the wall where the pocket door could go.

• Ruth_123
    11 years ago

Hi again,

Is it an option to shuffle the double doors into the master bedroom over a bit...? Or to just use a single door into the master bedroom? I'm afraid that your plan cuts off at the critical point so I can't tell! :-) If so, I think that a pocket door into the WIC would be fine.

I agree that ShellKing's suggestion works very well and ticks all your boxes! (And we all have different boxes!!! :-) )

Playing Devil's Advocate a bit, I wonder if this might feel a bit "small" though...? Your floorspace would feel like the square in the centre only... I think that having a long "galley" like bathroom like I had suggested, with good sized windows on two different aspects would feel much bigger and brighter...?

Compromises, compromises!

Good luck with everything!

All the best,
    Ruth

• weedyacres
    11 years ago

That foyer thing bugs me because it's wasted space and limits your options on the bathroom. Can you move the master bedroom door over to the right (into the hallway) or down so you can have a door directly from the bedroom to the closet? The pics you posted above don't show what's in the hallway and thus what the options are.

• rkalish
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a better drawing of the upstairs. It's a bit older bath design, so ignore that (was where the toilet was what you saw on entry). The doors to the bedroom are gated by the staircase. If went to single door, would allow it to be moved more to the right giving more room for a pocket door to closet.

{{gwi:1448212}}

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

It would be worth it to me to capture that hallway space outside your master bedroom doors for your master door swing; and gain a better closet entry (resulting in more hanging closet space) and better bathroom entry as well. Most people with double master doors really use only 1 anyway.

• Ruth_123
    11 years ago

Hi again!

Personally, I would also sacrifice the double doors (and possibly a tiny bit of hallway space) for a more generous master bathroom - 11ft+ x 14'6"! Apart from the extra space, I think that you would have more layout options too. I think that your WIC would work better too.

I must admit that I would have a slight niggle about the doors into the master bath and WIC not being symmetrical (as the WIC door would have to be pushed all the way down to the end of the room) but I think that you might be able to disguise this a bit by furniture ... and it would we worth it for the bigger bathroom.

Good luck with your project and let is know how you get on!

All the best,
    Ruth

• weedyacres
    11 years ago

If you can't push the bedroom doors into the hall, then I'd at least do something like this, to annex the foyer space into the closet.

• rkalish
    Original Author
    11 years ago

weedyacres, I like the way you have modified the design. It definitely gets rid of a hallway that serves no purpose and you regain about 3 feet of shelving for the closet. It also evenly spaces the two doors on the wall. But you do lose a bit of wall in the bedroom for a desk or dresser with the extra doorway.

If there was a way to regain the space for the bathroom and make that larger, that would be great. But I think that could only happen if the closet and bath switch sides - don't really want to do that.

So many great ideas to think about. Will keep playing a bit with all of them and see where I end up.

Thanks