Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dvarnell_gw

Help - wrong slab installed!

dvarnell
11 years ago

So I spent weeks selecting my carrara marble slab for my vanity counter. Went to no less than 5 granite yards in 2 diff states and finally found a beautiful soft gray carrara marble slab with delicate veining and that pretty dot like pattern. I got the shower bench in last week and when I saw it, it didn't look like it came from the same slab - much stronger, wider, almost brown looking veining. But as I feel like I have been a pain in my contractor's rear (and I do tend to obsess), I figured they must have just cut it from a different part of the slab and that I'd live with it bc it was only the shower bench. Today they installed the vanity top and there is NO way that it is from the slab I selected. The veining is heavy and thick - over an inch wide in places and varies from a very dark gray to a brown. Seriously it cannot be the slab I selected. Of course, after telling my contractor this and showing him the photo I took of the slab at the marble yard, he called the marble yard (and they say the block number they delivered to the fabricator is the one specified) and the fabricator says their paperwork also matches the one specified. BUT I know it's not the slab I picked. So, what to do?? I feel like if I live with it, I will always be unhappy with it. Truly, I'd never have selected this slab in a million years. (In a true unfair twist of fate, my daughters' bathroom got a remnant carrara top also installed today and theirs is fine and I'd totally have taken that one). Someone clearly screwed up here - don't know if it was the fabricator or the marble yard and don't know what to do to get what I want. Thoughts?? (Of course this particular marble yard happens to be the one that was farthest away from me - an hour and a half drive each way).

Comments (4)

• treasuretheday
    11 years ago

Oh no... That's such a disappointment! If you have a picture of the exact slab that you chose, is it possible to enlarge it enough to show what sounds like an obvious difference in the vein pattern & size? I would feel the same way and be unwilling to settle for something that I never would have chosen. Did you put 1/2 down with 1/2 due at installation? I'd withhold payment until this is resolved. If nothing else, I would expect a significant discount to persuade me to keep it. I hope you are able to get this resolved so that you can finish your project feeling good about your counters.

We fell in love with some granite that was at a large granite warehouse that fabricates all of the granite that they import. We didn't have the option to use an outside fabricator. On the one hand, that meant that we couldn't compare prices but it also meant that there wouldn't be any finger-pointing if there was a problem with the installation. We met with them to sign off on the fabrication drawings and to tape off the outlines of each piece, specifying where we wanted everything cut. That also gave me the opportunity to take pictures of exactly what would be installed.

• kendog2
    11 years ago

I agree with everything that Treasuretheday said. That would drive me crazy too. Take photos of the slab that was installed as well so that you'll have proof that they are different slabs. Be sure to save the photos onto a computer to make certain you don't lose them. I would send the photos to the fabricator and the marble yard. Be polite but very firm about getting this resolved. Hopefully, they will do the right thing and exchange the slab.

If you don't get anywhere, you could open a case in small claims court. I doubt that it will come to that though. Sure hope this works out for you.

• dvarnell
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the good advice. Since yesterday it has lightened up a lot - which is good - apparently bc marble is so porous, it absorbs the adhesive quickly and then needs to dry out. The drying has made it better. It's still not perfect and I'm still sure it's not my slab - or else they cut it from a bad part of the slab and not the pretty section - but my husband has convinced me that I tend to overreact and that we should just live with it. Truly, we are a week away from finishing a 4 month renovation that has displaced us from half of our home and I'm just ready to be done. Is this the perfect solution? No. Is it the best solution to get us moved back into our bedrooms/bathrooms/closets and laundry room? Yes.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

I'd take pics of the installed pieces too and have large prints (maybe 5x7) made of them and the original slab. it'll only cost a few $s (try at Walgreens). then I'd be looking to find WHERE on the whole slab they took the pieces they installed.

I wouldn't let anyone 'convince' me unless I could 'see' it myself. If I couldn't 'see' it, I would have the gc 'show' me where those pieces are on the whole slab. Just because 'they' tell you it's the same slab doesn't mean it IS.

Good reason behind taking a number of pics of the whole slab you pick out. Also for marking the areas of the slab you want used in your counter tops (shower, whatever) in advance of them cutting it out.