Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
word_doc

Bathroom remodel, before and after photos

word_doc
13 years ago

Hopefully there will be photos! I've never posted photos on this forum before.

First, I wanted to thank the many contributors who post here. It was here that I ran across a link to what turned out to be my inspiration bathroom photo. I also found so much wisdom and information and advice here, even though I just lurked and never asked any questions about my bathroom problems.

What happened was that we had a slow water leak that went on for a long time before we discovered it. Here's what the bathroom looked like after the mold mitigation crew swept through:

Then I found this inspiration photo from a link posted here a while back:

Our bathroom is obviously laid out a little different and is larger, so I decided to go with two of the vanities instead of just the one. Really I think it would have been fine with just one, but I figured for resale purposes I should go ahead and have two put in. I liked the rectangular mirror in the original but we had an electrical outlet in the way, and I think I ended up liking the oval mirrors better anyway. This is a downstairs bathroom which services two bedrooms and probably sort of doubles as a powder room for guests etc.

I still need to accessorize and put stuff up on the walls but this is what we ended up with, a couple of months later:

Comments (16)

• User
    13 years ago

Absolutely fantastic! You did a great job with your choices, love the paint color and vanities. Why not post some of the specifics to help those inspired now by YOUR bathroom! Let's start with the wall color? That's a great color!

• dedtired
    13 years ago

How lovely! I especially like that you have two vanities. The wall color is so pretty (and so is the kitty).

Yes -- we'd like some details.

• anemone2000
    13 years ago

Love the room! You did an absolutely beautiful job!

And yes, please tell us the name and brand of your paint color. It may just be what I have been looking for. Thanks.

• marysdottir
    13 years ago

You are an inspiration yourself now! I too love the wall colour. It is almost the same as the colour I couldn't find and had to have custom mixed for my bedroom last year. Absolutely love it all.

• pharaoh
    13 years ago

Bravo! beautiful... move over inspiration photo, your bathroom is the new inspiration!

• gbsim1
    13 years ago

What a great job! I know your guests love it! Now..... details!!!! I'd like to know about the vanities for starters... Custom or prebuilt?

• kitchenkrazed09
    13 years ago

Beautiful job, enjoy! I'd like to know the details too please, especially vanities, mirrors and shower curtain.

• word_doc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, thank you so much for all the nice words! I'm happy to share my sourcing info, of course.

For the paint color: First, I went through 8 of those little Benjamin Moore paint sample jars before I came up with the final color. It's Benjamin Moore Gossamer Blue in the Aura Bath and Spa Finish. It's kind of expensive but I always try to go with BMoore if we can, or possibly Sherwin Williams. What I'd really like to try is that Ellen Kenyon stuff (I think that's the name) but it's too much of a hassle and I'm basically lazy. Anyway. Benjamin Moore, Gossamer Blue in the Aura finish.

Shower curtain: Bed, Bath and Beyond. It's called Color Block Blue Fabric Shower Curtain by DKNY ($60). Here's a link, sorry it's not clickable http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=113401&RN=10

The vanities are from Lowe's, believe it or not. I came very close to buying a 60" vanity from Ebay that mimicked this pottery barn style but in the end we decided to go with two of these. I was a little hesitant because there are complaints on the lowe's site about the marble staining but so far it's been great.

The tile in the shower (which is not shown) is just plain old 4" white ceramic tile, and the beadboard is not the PVC kind because we couldn't find it, but this is not a bathroom that will get a lot of heavy use, so I'm not worried about it. We also added the crown molding and changed out the light fixtures. The ones that were in there were hanging by chains and really completely awful. That was obviously not part of the original damage but it finished out the room.

The mirrors are just inexpensive decorative mirrors my husband came across on a super clearance shelf at TJ Maxx, I think. They were only around $25 each, believe it or not.

The faucets are also from Lowe's and I am not sure which ones I chose but they were under $100 each. They were the first ones I saw that I thought would work and they were inexpensive, so that was a win-win.

We also had the flooring replaced in the living room, dining room and hallway as a result of this damage, so it all just looks so wonderful. The original floor that was there was a light colored laminate and it was not my favorite. Now we have hardwood in a nice, rich medium color. Yay!

Thanks again for all the nice comments. Let me know if you have any more questions. It's not the super-deluxe redo that I often see on this forum and I don't have the budget or the temperament (mostly the budget!) to spend a lot of time/money on things like cool toilets and deluxe tile, but I do enjoy reading about it here!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dorset 36

• melindy
    13 years ago

Very fresh and lovely!

• anemone2000
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for the information. I am off to get a sample jar tomorrow.

• susanjn
    13 years ago

word_doc,

You are an inspiration. Maybe I overlooked it, but what is the flooring in the bath?

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

You did a really great job of making that inspiration bathroom your own. I also love that blue and the white wainscoting...it looks awesome and the shower curtain really sets it off. Wonder if BBB has towels to match. Have fun accessorizing. WELL DONE!!!

• annkathryn
    13 years ago

Very nice! Your shower curtain does a great job of tying everything together.

• firstmmo
    13 years ago

Beautiful color walls! You did a fab job copying and making the inspiration photo fit your bathroom! Lovely!

• pbishop
    13 years ago

Great pics. I want to do exactly the same thing and I have a some questions about the wainscoting.

How high did you go ?
    Did you get it at Lowes ?

How far out from the tub did you extend the tiles and did you butt the waincoting right up against it ?

Thanks

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

It is really gorgeous. Love the wall color.