Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tile just floor and around barth or 1/2 way up baths?

Posted by blondelle (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 14:58

I'm going to contract tomorrow and I'm going to renovate two small bathrooms in a rental unit. How do just painted walls hold up in a small bathroom. There's no vents, but they have windows in the shower and tubs, but the tenant might not open the windows. I thought I could save some money by just tiling the floors and shower and bath surrounds. Is that a foolish decision? Need some advice ASAP. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tile just floor and around barth or 1/2 way up baths?

Lots of people do that blondelle. It would be wise to install a vent/fan though

o

It will be good to have a vent/fan. Otherwise you will have condensation running down the painted wall when someone takes long hot showers. Probably won't do damage to the wall if it is prperly painted with the right kind of paint but it can look pretty bad in the long run. Plus you will have all sorts of mold and mildew constantly showing up in there.

o

I think it makes sense to tile behind the toilet. The little square of wall right behind the tank seems to get kind of nasty when it's just drywall, and since you will be repainting fairly often you wouldn't have to paint all around the toilet, which requires getting down on the floor, not one of my favorite things to do. The new bathrooms in my houses are getting tile wainscoting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here