Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amykinteriors

Finished: Striped Marble in the Attic

shanghaimom
10 years ago

Hello!

We have been remodeling our attic into a master suite. The bathroom used to be an ugly mustard-colored 80's kitchen. This kitchen came in very handy when we remodeled our main kitchen a few years ago, but I couldn't wait to make it it go away!

With GW, I have learned everything I needed to know to make it happen! (I learned a LOT from a few mistakes I made in a downstairs bath remodel last year, too.)

The marble is honed Montclair Danby Striato. You can scrub this stuff with Ajax, which sold me!

Porcelain 12x24 floor tile is called Burma Negro. It looks very much like slate, but is so much easier to take care of.

Shower is Hansgrohe Axor Cittero pipe + handshower. There have been a few discussions about shower systems lately--I really like this setup.

The beam going through is original--the house was built in 1889. I also kept and refinished all of my old original doors and hardware. I wan't going for a period look, but wanted this bath to fit with the rest of the house. There is another bathroom installed in the 1920's with the original carrera slabs and white subways, and this new one has a similar vibe.

Before photo:

And After:

Comments (52)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

That is stunning!!!!!!

-Babka

• sofla
    10 years ago

stunning. Should be in a magazine.

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

Gorgeous! I've never seen marble like that....and you can scrub it with Ajax? Count me in!
    Know of any other marbles that are that tough?

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Oh WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOVE. IT.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Beautifully executed! What an intricate space. Congratulations on such a successful remodel :)

• asharding Harding
    10 years ago

Beautiful!!!

On the external shower walls, did they bullnose the corners, (cut them at an angle)? My fabricator states that they are only able to cut straight lines on the wetsaw and that they have to use a hand saw for angles which causes chipping of the material.

How did they do yours?

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, all. We are really enjoying the space!

asharding, the exterior shower slabs have mitered corners.

• aries61
    10 years ago

Very nice bathroom. Who's the cabinet manufacturer?

• Pipdog
    10 years ago

absolutely gorgeous! I love all of the shapes you've mixed together (the linear slabs, the hex floor in the shower, the subway tiles, the triangular shelves by the tub). great job with the design!

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Aries61, The cabinetry was done by a local (Minneapolis) company called Steven Cabinets. They really worked some magic with my VERY uneven 124-year-old walls and sloped ceilings. They used every inch of space in the wall voids for cubbies, cupboards and niches.

• lillo
    10 years ago

A gorgeous bathroom , I love your marble , is that a natural stone ? How can you use Ajax on it without etching it ? I have not seen this stone in any of the marble stores that I have been to ( a lot ) . Did you get it from a special supplier ?

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lillo, hello. The marble is Vermont Montclair Danby Striato. The Danby marbles are actually very common, and I'm sure you've seen it, just not cut in the striped form. It looks a bit like Carrera--if you google Danby marble, you'll see tons of kitchen counters, including many GW kitchens. Bath vanities, too.

I'm not sure why the stone yards don't yet carry more of the Striato. Maybe it is too "busy" for most people's taste. (?) It stopped me in my tracks, and was not too pricey.

It doesn't etch at ALL, unlike the Carrera and Calacatta Gold I have in other bathrooms. (Okay truthfully, I use Ajax and Barkeeper's Friend on my Carrera slab shower...gasp...but those slabs are 100 years old.)

I couldn't be happier with it!

This post was edited by shanghaimom on Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 23:48

• michoumonster
    10 years ago

wow, that is exquisite! are you a designer? i have loved every room you have posted!

• Debbi Branka
    10 years ago

That is awesome! Very beautiful! Love it all! I've used Comet on my statuary marble to try to get an etch out (just to see if it worked). It dulled it a little. I have a honed finish, but it still a little shiny.

• asharding Harding
    10 years ago

That's what I meant, mitered not bull nosed! You figured as much.

Did they miter on-site or at the shop?

• divotdiva2
    10 years ago

Its gorgeous! Is your teak bench in the shower custom-built in, or stand alone?

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

Absolutely stunning!!! Wow! I love the striations in the marble. You've really transformed the space into something amazing.

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks!!

asharding, yes, I knew what you meant. (-; They cut it all at the shop. Considering all of the crazy angles and tight corners around the tub deck backsplash, there were only two small pieces that needed to be re-cut. I think the original measuring guy must have done a very careful job.

Divotdiva, the teak bench is from Frontgate. They make in in 3 or 4 different sizes. It has a few chrome touches, and seems to be exceptionally well-made for the price. I didn't want to do a built-in, tiled bench, which get cold and slimy-slick.

• flwrs_n_co
    10 years ago

shangaimom, I'm not surprised how lovely your master bath turned out. I've been in awe of your design skills since you did your kitchen a few years ago. It's still one of my top favorites. :)

Your bathroom is beautiful! The perfect place to get away from all the hustle and bustle and just rela-a-x-x-x-x! Love the shower, marble, tile, bath, vanity . . . ok, everything! Enjoy it in good health for many years.

• divotdiva2
    10 years ago

thanks Shanghimom. I like the look of that teak bench so I will be looking into it. I'm also wary of a built-in (cold to sit on and one more thing to clean). I figure teak, I can take it outside to bleach out in the sun if necessary.

• divotdiva2
    10 years ago

thanks Shanghimom. I like the look of that teak bench so I will be looking into it. I'm also wary of a built-in (cold to sit on and one more thing to clean). I figure teak, I can take it outside to bleach out in the sun if necessary.

• lillo
    10 years ago

I just came from the marble store where I put their last slab of Montclair Danby on hold . It is not cheap in that warehouse it has a categorie V while the calacata gold is categorie X . My husband loves it , but the problem is that they only have one slab . I am thinking of using it for the vanity and getting the calacata gold for the tub deck surround . Can you use Ajax on the polished stone too or only on the honed ?

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nonononono...only on honed!!

Don't do polished! I made that mistake last year in a different bathroom. My Calacatta Gold vanity counter has been such a mess. It looked nice for about a week. Plain water makes huge nasty etch marks. Yes, I KNEW it was silly to do a polished marble counter in the bathroom, but it was so pretty....

The guy at the stone warehouse told me I could try to do a mild DIY honing myself, to at least "disguise" some of the etching. He said to put white vinegar all over it, leave for a while, then rub off. It helped a little.

I'll bet they could order another slab in for you. Our supplier was out--they ordered more from another location. It was quick, since they don't have to wait for a ship from Italy. (-:

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Flwrs_n_co, thank you SO much. What a nice comment to read!!

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

double post edited

This post was edited by shanghaimom on Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 20:04

• lillo
    10 years ago

I will call them tomorrow to see if they can order it for me . I did my floors polished , and my husband doesn't like the look of the honed . I think I'll just take my chances and start with the polished. If it turns out bad then I'll hone it . How much were you charged per sqft for your marble ?

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi lillo,
    My floors are polished Carrera, too. (Different bathroom than above.) Etching has not been a problem with them, and I really like the shine. The counter top is another story, though. I would encourage you to consider a honed surface around the tub and sinks.

I don't know the breakdown of the price per square foot. I know that the fabrication was probably much more than the material! It was definitely among the least expensive marbles.

Kinda crazy how much time and effort it is to choose all of this stuff, isn't it?!

Good Luck!

• lillo
    10 years ago

Thank you shanghaimom , yes it's terrible what you have to go through in every step . My last step ( hopefully ) is the marble . I contacted the marble supplier for another slab of the Danby . They said that they don't have any , not even in their stores around us in Columbus or Detroit . They are not getting any anytime soon . They are the only supplier of the Danby in the area . I am basically stuck with one slab that is not enough for the whole job . You are right about the price , it's $800 for the whole slab 108"x 55" . I don't know what to do ?
    I have two options . One , forget about the Danby and go back to my first choice of the calacata ( if its not sold yet ) , and pay the extra charge that they imposed on me ,with a smile on my face just to finish the job and get done .
    Second I will keep the Danby for the vanity , pony wall, shower threshold and shower bench. I can get a white quartz for the tub deck area . I don't know if that would look nice or not . What do you think ?

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lillo, I responded in your new post.

• annkathryn
    10 years ago

I'm in awe. The entire effect is fabulous. And of course I remember your gorgeous kitchen - this is just more gorgeosity as my teenagers would say! I love the way the marble is matched around the corners. Was your tub made from a single slab? You must love stepping into this room. Well done.

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

It's gorgeous, but you did it, so of course it is!

Can you email me? beekeeperswife at gmail dot com

thx

Bee

• asharding Harding
    10 years ago

How much did your fabricator charge you for labor and materials? How expensive was your stone slabs?

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annkathryn, thank you so much!! You can't SEE me beaming, but I am. (-:

Asharding, that sounds like a simple question, but it isn't! I don't know the cost because this was part of a larger project. Originally, the stone was a line item but there was much, much, more of it. I was sheathing a fireplace wall on four sides. The project isn't finished yet, so I have not "settled up" and can't recall what that credit to me will be.

I can reiterate, though, that this is an INEXPENSIVE stone. Like, waaaay less than Calacatta or almost any other white marble.

• carsonheim
    10 years ago

This. Is. Gorgeous. There is nothing further to say. Except maybe that I want to steal it right out of your house and plop it into mine :)

• pps7
    10 years ago

Very well done! I love the beam.

• asharding Harding
    10 years ago

Do you think that the Striato (cross-cut) could be used in place of the Ocean Blue with this travertine? This is a 12 x 24".

This post was edited by asharding on Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 15:27

• asharding Harding
    10 years ago

Here's the Ocean Blue Slab from Italy which we would replace with your slab choice, the Vermont Quarries, Montclair Danby, Striatto.

This post was edited by asharding on Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 15:26

• enduring
    10 years ago

asharding, while I think the travertine is beautiful, the travertine in your second post almost has a pinkish tan color. I don't think the color with the danby would match, but you'd have to look in real life. I don't care for the travertine with the Ocean Blue either in this picture.

Another way I don't care for the mix of danby and the travertine is in the way the intensities match up. The danby is bold and high contrast, and the travertine is more of a misty blend of shades. As I look at the bathroom above I see high contrast in most of the elements. White or dark tile for example. There is one element that is misty and that is the window shade. The floor of the shower has some shading too but the color match is better with the danby than your travertine.

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

asharding, I'm confused!

Do you mean to put the striped travertine and another striped stone (Danby Striato or Ocean Blue) together? Is the travertine something you are planning to use on the floor? Shower? I probably would not put these stones together, but it is hard to say because monitor colors can be so far off. The Danby is pretty straight-up white with greenish-gray veining. Your travertine looks more beige to me.

I would consider all three to be "statement" stones and they should ideally be combined with something simple and without much pattern or movement to make them shine. (Plain subway, plain porcelain, wood, etc.)

I may be totally misunderstanding you question...?

This post was edited by shanghaimom on Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 20:57

• lillo
    10 years ago

Asharding
    , the Danby slab is around $18.00 per sqf . The whole slab is around $800.00 . However as enduring and Shanghaimom mentioned , I do not see the Danby matching with your travertine. The Danby is black , grey and white while your travertine is beigy . I was thinking of mixing the Danby with white quartz , but was doubtful of how it will look . If you are attached to your travertine , then you will have to pair it with a solid color , not another stripped stone . Good luck.

• asharding Harding
    10 years ago

Here's one photo with both together.

Bottom of photo below: We have purchased the White Oak Limestone 12 x 24 tiles for the floor and walls. It is white/grey toned with grey striations.

Top of photo below: We have not purchased this slab yet which is the Ocean Blue. This is where we're thinking that we might be able to use the Danby Striato.

Would the Danby Striato look good with the White Oak Limestone tiles?

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Asharding, I can't venture an opinion without seeing them together. Have YOU seen them together? Have you brought a floor tile to put it next to a Striato slab? To me, it doesn't seem like they would be a good match. The Striato is busy, busy, busy, and so "graphic", it needs a plain flooring, IMO.

What you have already put together (the Ocean Blue) looks very nice. The Ocean is soft and "blurred". The colors look perfect.

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

This is absolutely gorgeous! LOVE LOVE LOVE everything in it. I also really like the wood beam--it adds a natural element that appeals to me. I just purchased a Zebrino slab for our powder room that is similar in feel to yours, but is much more in the browns than the grays.

I'm inspired by your bathroom for sure!

{{gwi:1447810}}

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Firsthouse, thank you!

Zebrino was the marble that first caught my eye. I love it! Your powder room will be beautiful!

If I were in the parallel universe of California, I would ASPIRE to live in a home that looked like yours. (I'm thinking of #1--are you almost finished with #2? ) You're brave and have such vision to take on those homes and make them pretty again. Pics of anything finished????

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

Shanghai:
    I am only about 20% into build of #3 (#2 we ended up selling before moving in--it was an interesting Eichler-like home). My current master bath....

One day I hope to have a creamy kitchen with a banquet nook likes yours in a charming home by the ocean. I have kept your photos for my inspiration.

One question about the tub pictured: what is the tub faucet brand? I really like the Hansgrohe shower with the outside mounted pipes.

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, how nice--an outdoor garden shower! You lucky Californians...hehe.

Tub and sink faucets are Delta Vero collection. I really love having a sprayer for the tub.

• Pipdog
    10 years ago

shanghaimom, I'm still in love with your gorgeous bathroom! I was just wondering about the window treatments in your bathroom. Are those custom? And what material are they made of? I've been seaching for a simple gray linen window treatment for our bath, but am not having much luck.

• jacqueline5
    10 years ago

Stunning! I'd also love to know the fabric used for your window treatment, it would be perfect in my master bath.

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Pipdog and Jaqueline5,

I found the fabric for my shades at Hancock fabrics. Its a linen/poly blend that looks like plain linen. I trimmed them with gray velvet ribbon I found online. My window treatment woman said she has seen that fabric so many times--I'm sure the have it at Calico Corners or whatever fabric chain you have locally. It is translucent while still maintaining privacy. I DID line them with a sheer fabric for added privacy and body.

Both Smith and Noble and Restoration Hardware have "Relaxed Roman" shades and both have several linen colors. Smith and Noble does the trim, too, but probably not velvet.

Here is a closeup, more true to color:

I also did them in the adjoining closet, but with navy blue trim. I love them! (Don't bother with cord-free or continuous-cord. The basic ones work beautifully.)

• Pipdog
    10 years ago

thanks, shanghaimom! drooling over that walk-in closet. Wow!