Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debrak_2008_gw

debrak's finished master bath

debrak_2008
13 years ago

Having trouble posting this so I did not include all the photos. Ask if you want to see a close up of something.

Here is our finished master bath. NOTE about colors...some photos cast a beige look to the tile but it is not like that in person. Tub, toliet, sink, shower base are white. Tile is Ontario gray floor, virginia gray walls and backspash, antique cobalt glass tile. Walls are laura ashley saphire #3, ceiling #1. Granite is steel gray/silver pearl. Cabinet is Aristokraft maple in rouge. We installed electric underfloor heating. It is new 2nd floor constuction (master bedroom and bath over an existing 1st floor.

Thank you to my DH for doing ALL the work. Everything was DIY...electric, plumbing, tiling, drywall, heating, etc.

Want to know any details just ask! Decorating not done yet. Need to take a break and focus on the bedroom now, which will be ready for paint soon.

view from door

toliet area.

shower tile

vanity across from tub.

Comments (13)

• jani18
    13 years ago

Debrak:

Your Bathroom is very impressive!!!! DH did a fantastic job.

Can you tell me what showerhead you used in the shower and what handheld you used in the bathtub and how well they work.

What brand toliet?

Thanks.

• kitchenkrazed09
    13 years ago

Nice job! Enjoy your new space. What brand are the sconces?

• debrak_2008
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The shower head and the tub faucet are Delta. The handheld in the tub is aqua source. Since the bedroom is still under construction we have not used the bathroom for showers or baths yet. I've used the fixtures just to clean the shower and tub and they seem to work fine.

The toliet is an American Standard champion which was actually bought 4 years ago but just installed a few months ago. It was a good deal and we knew we would use it for this bathoom. The toilet works great. It flushes clean everytime.

I don't know the brand of the sconces but they were only $19 each (regular price) at Home Depot.

Thank you for the kind words.

Here are a few more pics.

towel rack added.

hidden access to tub plumbing

• semi
    13 years ago

Bravo! I love it. I have loved seeing previous peaks, that blue tile is a knockout! Your husband did a fantastic job, truly fantastic. All that tile is DIY???? Gorgeous even grout lines.

If my bath turns out half as gorgeous I'll be happy.

Enjoy!

Semi:

• pepperidge_farm
    13 years ago

Nice job!!! It's great to enjoy after all that work, right?

I think the magazine thingy is awesome!!! Very creative! Did you guys come up with that or is there some other clever sources you found great ideas?

• antss
    13 years ago

like the mag niche.

• debrak_2008
    Original Author
    13 years ago

DH is a perfectionist and has lots of patience. So it takes him alot longer to do projects than most people but its worth it in the end.

I saw a magazine rack that fits into the wall and showed DH. He just built it himself.

DH said the mosaic was alot harder to do than expected. Even though this is new construction not every thing was exactly level. It really showed up in the mosiac tile. There are a few boo boos I hope no one sees.

DIY advise would be when tiling check everything for squareness (is that a word?) and if it is level.

• User
    13 years ago

Oh! I had to scroll backc up to find the mag rack.....I totally missed it. Neat job. Good feature and out of the way. Nice use of otherwise lost wall space.

And the sconces have a very stylish look, you did some good shopping to choose them at Home Depot.

I have the American Standard Cadet 3 Compact toilet, and it is also very good and reliable. Buying and stockpiling your fixtures is a good plan, but means you must know what you want ahead of time.

What kind of jetted tub did you install? We are going with a soaker, a clawfoot slipper tub. Since I bought it when the price was right, it is currently sitting in myy dining room, waiting on the contractor........(mumble mumble)...
    It's been suggested by folks on the Smaller Homes forum that I cushion it with pillows and use it for reading and lounging. It sure does look pretty though.

We're on the same road as you, after the bath then the bedroom, so don't stop keeping us current with your projects.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Hats of to your hubby...he did a marvelous job!!!

• firstmmo
    13 years ago

I am always impressed by the DIYers! I wish I had the talent--seriously something that I feel like I wish I knew. I especially like that you chose to put a small line of blue tile at the bottom of the tub. Really like that detail!!!!

• monicakm_gw
    13 years ago

Kudos to your DIY DH! I'm lucky enough to have one of those too :) Great job! Do you have warmed floors? If not, what is that controler thingy on the wall next to the toilet?
    Monica

• debrak_2008
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"It's been suggested by folks on the Smaller Homes forum that I cushion it with pillows and use it for reading and lounging."

moccasinlanding I had to laugh at that. My teenage daughter takes a pillow and a book and sits in the tub.

The tub is a Kohler devonshire. We had to get the tub early to make it easier to get it into the space before finshed walls. I was in a plumbing store and looked at jetted tubs. I was told that the devonshire was the most popular because it fits in a standard sized space and works very well. The price was $1000. I went home and in my mail was an ad from HD. It had the devonshire on sale for like $599. Then if you bought another bathroom fixture you got a $100 gift card. So we bought the tub and the toliet. The only concern was, what if they don't work when we are ready to install. They both work fine.

firsthouse, I have to tell you the real story behind the blue tile below the tub. This bathroom is 2nd floor new construction over an existing 1st floor bathroom. When new meets old it doesn't match well. DH had trouble with the tub plumbing and had to raised the tub up 1 inch. The blue tile fit perfectly.

Yes monicakm the floor is heated! We are very excited about that. One reason to look forward to winter.

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

I will definitely post pictures if and when I ever get this bear wrestled to the ground. I may have found my granite today for the vanities!!! If so then I can finally move on to the other things to follow after that installation. Mirrors, lights, paint, faucets, decorative touches. Can't wait to post pix. All of your BR projects are awesome!! Really enjoyed looking at them at length. You would be surprised at how much people pour over photos, lol. Cheers!