Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
coordinating tile and countertop

Posted by car57 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 14:13

Hi. I'm remodeling my master bath, and I'm having trouble choosing floor/shower tile that coordinates with the countertops. I will probably use quartz for the counters. Cabinets are white. I like the look of travertine, but will be using rectified porcelain tile. I want it to be light and bright, but not necessarily white. How do I figure out which countertop color goes with which tile? I have nightmares about choosing expensive materials that fight each other! I know about undertones, but I'm having trouble seeing them in tile and quartz. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: coordinating tile and countertop

Hi Car57,
I am also in the process of remodeling my master bath. I have found tile stores to be extremely helpful even when they know you're not ready to buy. Go in with a budget in mind and bring any samples you have (paint, wall paper, floor plan and elevations). It can be helpful to bring paint chips of the colors you would like to have somewhere in the room. Most showroooms will pull out a good assortment of things to look at and then leave you to browse. But the ones I have been in have been reluctant to disclose the manufacturer so you won't try to shop for a better price online. It can be overwhelming but you can usually take home some samples and see what they look like in the room. Good luck!

o
RE: coordinating tile and countertop

We too were overwhelmed at first, and even brought home a couple samples of porcelain tile that looked like travertine. But we kept going to tile shops (about 4 or 5 I think) before one mosaic grabbed my attention. After that we brought that sample everywhere we shopped to see who had other tiles that would go with it. All our tile in our new bathroom didn't come from the same store. And be sure to get a large enough sample of the quartz, not just those little 2" pieces.

-Babka

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here