Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathyny76

Finished - Update of small master bath

Kathy Rivera
11 years ago

Here are some pictures from our recent master bath update. Sadly, it is not a massive beautiful space, but it sure looks better than before! Also, sadly, b/c of some water leaks that rotted half the shower studs and being in the NYC area, our little 'refresh' wasn't so cheap. There are a few things I would have loved - a built in linen cabinet and fully frameless shower doors, but those were just expenses I couldn't justify. However, my Rain Forest Green countertop is so pretty, I just stare at that instead! :)

Before:

After:

Thanks to GWers for the tip on Home Goods for large mirrors. I found this one that was an exact fit and a darn good match for $60!!

The tile guy tried to talk me out of a niche b/c water gets in there, etc etc. Luckily, it's below the spray line and doesn't get much water in it. I also LOVE the accent tiles so I'm so glad I got to use even more of them.

The old bath had some built in shelves here from top to bottom. While it was a ton of space, it was also wasted and it was too deep to get to the back. It also always looked like a cluttered mess. This is where I wanted to put a built in linen tower, but budget just didn't allow. I should have planned a bit better and we could have framed it differently to do some built in niches or something, but oh well. It's still so much better than before. So I found this little tower at Lowes and it fits everything we need in easy reach. We put a basket on top for things my DH grabs quickly while getting ready, and added a couple floating shelves. I need to get some art and a little orchid or something for the top one. Also might frost the glass at some point so you don't see all our medicine!

Comments (15)

• treasuretheday
    11 years ago

What a beautiful transformation! I love your exotic granite on the dark vanity with ORB... Great choices!

• Olychick
    11 years ago

So pretty! I love the countertop, you're right, it steals the show. But I really love the niche, too. When you look at it, there is some optical illusion thing going on that makes it look like a piece of art created behind a grid...almost 3 dimensional. Very cool!

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Ooh, I like your choices! Can you share what they are? (accent tiles too!)?

• regmoses
    11 years ago

I like it! You're right, that granite is beautiful. I like the horizontal mirror - wouldn't of thought of that. Thanks for sharing!

• Kathy Rivera
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, kirkhall. There's a lot of HD & Lowes in there!

Tile - floor, shower: Augustus Ivory from Lowes
    Accent tile: Iridescent glass mosaic from HD (this was $4.99/sq ft at HD - it was 19.99/sq ft at my local tile shop!!)
    Vanity: St. Paul's via HD online. Wouldn't recommend as the first came with a bad finish. Then tried to get the matching linen tower and it came with the drawer put on backwards! Twice!!!
    Linen Tower - from Lowes
    Vanity top - Rain Forest Green marble
    Fixtures - Moen - Brantford collection in ORB
    Sink: Kohler Archer

• Kathy Rivera
    Original Author
    11 years ago

regmoses - The bath originally had a horizontal mirror that wasn't framed out. DH didn't care about much, but he wanted a big mirror back in there as it makes up (a little) for only having one sink. A local mirror place wanted $300 just to reinstall the old one and then I'd still need to have the GC frame it out. Luckily Home Goods pulled through for $60!!

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

Beautiful! I could stare all day at the Rainforest Green countertop as well!! Very nice transformation. It looks alot more peaceful and relaxing--and even bigger. Enjoy!

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Very nice! I love your accent tile.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

It looks absolutely great!!!!

• springroz
    11 years ago

What a pretty bath!! I love the way the mirror runs across, and I have always adored that rainforest marble!

Nancy

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Awesome! Thank you for sharing!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Great job!

• Jamie
    11 years ago

Did you change the toilet, too? The skirt seems to have a smaller profile, but that could be an illusion because of the larger floor tile and the reduction in the size of the heat register.
    I like the way put everything together.

• Kathy Rivera
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jamies - oh yes, we did get a new toilet! The Toto Ultramax. Which my DH has managed to clog once (shh, he'll kill me if he knows I'm posting that in public!!). But only the one time...so far...And unfortunately, the Toto's don't respond well to basic plungers b/c of their shape or something. I've found recs for ball shaped plungers that apparently work better so I need to get one of those!

Oh, and for anyone interested, my paint color is Behr Roasted Garlic and it is a great shade of green/beige. It's constantly changing color based on the lighting and I like all the various shades!

• salem1772
    11 years ago

A lovely, lovely job! Great choices in all areas. What a transformation. . .serene, peaceful, clean lines. Congratulations and enjoy in good health!

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company