Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jodip1975_gw

Glass Block Shower Wall

jodip1975
11 years ago

We are building our first house and our master bath is going to have a big walk in shower. Our plan is to put a 5' tile wall then above do glass or glass block.

I think glass block looks to 70's 80's style. But my husband likes the glass block idea :( I am interested in pics or ideas.

Comments (8)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Do a google search in images on glass block shower and you will see many options. Most have the glass block from the floor up. I love glass block, but didn't use it anywhere. One concern I had was cleaning it. Another is you have to size the space for the block as, unlike regular tile, you can't cut the block in half to fit.

We stayed at a hotel where the bath had a glass block wall...very neat light but privacy.

• njgolfnut
    11 years ago

We are renovating out master bath (circa 1994), which has glass block in the shower. We are taking some of the rows out because they get hit with water constantly. The grout is nasty and there is mold inside the blocks. I asked the contractor about regrouting/replacing, but he recommended taking out the rows that get hit with water and rebuilding the wall in that area. The glass block provided nice light with privacy but maintenance can be tough.

• charliehorse99
    11 years ago

Glass block is dated looking. Ask yourself why you can't use a pane of frosted or sandblasted glass instead.

• lachase
    11 years ago

I actually like the look of glass blocks. Whether it is "dated" is a perception and preference. I am thinking of using glass blocks myself on a project but I am interested to read that mold can get inside the block. That bothers me. I think if you used a pane of glass around a bathtub or shower, it had better be a pane of tempered glass for safety. My very favorite is seeded glass, but sadly it does not come in a tempered version.

• pharaoh
    11 years ago

Get what you like, but I have to agree with charlie that glass block has an instant dated look. I would like to be proved wrong but I havent seen a glass block wall that doesnt look old.

Also sheet glass is probably the same price, and a lot easier to keep clean (no grout).

• Sharon kilber
    11 years ago

My husband has done many glass block showers for people who want them. Some people still like them. Today the way they are done they will not midrew. First they put in silicone , this sits for a couple days. Then they come back and feel the rest with grout . That makes it mildrew resistance, We have had two glass block showers in our home for years and not one bit of mildrew . I, will post some pictures for you tomorrow .

• Sharon kilber
    11 years ago

My husband has done many glass block showers for people who want them. Some people still like them. Today the way they are done they will not midrew. First they put in silicone , this sits for a couple days. Then they come back and feel the rest with grout . That makes it mildrew resistance, We have had two glass block showers in our home for years and not one bit of mildrew . I, will post some pictures for you tomorrow .

• njgolfnut
    11 years ago

An update on our bath reno, we are trying to cut back on cost so we asked the GC if he can replace the glass block instead of remove rows, which would involve wall work both inside and out. He is not opposed to the idea and said with proper maintenance, they should stay in decent shape going forward. They were not well maintained to this point.