Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cararra Marble look alike in subway?

Posted by jillinnj (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 26, 12 at 13:56

I'm trying to find a porcelain tile that is a carrara marble look alike in subway size. Unfortunately, it seems the American Olean version that people liked has been discontinued.

Does anyone have a recommendation?

Is it worth buying square tiles and cutting them? Seems like a lot of work!

I would go with just plain white subway (this is for shower area), but DH doesn't like that look.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cararra Marble look alike in subway?

So are you doing Carrara elsewhere in your bathroom, but looking for a knockoff subway tile for your bathroom?

If that is the case you'll never match the look, so I say tell your husband to chill and run a white subway with a pale gray grout.

If you're not running real Carrara elsewhere in the room, then there are a lot of porcelains that "look like" Carrara. I didn't really think any of them were that great in person. At least none that I've seen, but I was holding it up against the real deal when comparing.

o

No Carrara in other areas right now. Not worried about matching the real thing.

Cannot tell hubby to chill. He doesn't like the look. It is his house too. We wouldn't do a look that I don't like. Won't do a look he doesn't like. I do keep showing him pics hoping he will change his mind but no luck so far.

I've seen big tiles that look nice. Just can't find subway. Considering doing large squares or cutting them ourselves.

o

Well if you're not trying to match it then you won't mind the fact that it doesn't look authentic. Although if he doesn't like the look of real marble I'm not sure why the look of knock-off marble works?

At our tile store we saw tile called Bianco Carrara it is a porcelain. Another is called Virginia and it comes in 3x8 not 3x6, but again is a porcelain. There was also calacatta porcelain tile. The also have a city collection of made to look like marble tiles.

The tile store is Best Tile (www.besttile.com) the link for their centers and phone numbers is below. Perhaps they can give you more info on the tiles we saw in person if one of these stores is not in your area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Best Tile Store Locator

o

Thank you. I will check out that link.

I think I wasn't clear. He likes marble subway. He doesn't like plain white subway tile. He grew up in New York City and it reminds him of, well, the subway. Says he doesn't want his shower to look like the subway.

I don't want to use real marble even though I love the look. I don't want the maintenance issues.

Thanks again!

o

Oh! Hahah yeah I totally misunderstood. My apologies!

o

No worries. There is a Best Tile store close to me. I will try to check it out this weekend or next week. Thank you for the help! I so appreciate it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here