Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mayflower1032

Tile - Floor to Ceilng ??

mayflower1032
9 years ago

Is this not appropriate, will look strange, dated, or out of place? I was considering tilling a small bathroom (floor sq footage about 68) from the floor to the ceiling. The tile looks almost like wallpaper when we have viewed it at the tile store. Very neutral with some vertical streaks in it. Some benefits I was thinking is no bullnose, no paint, do not need to pay to tape the drywall seams, cleans easy. Below is the tile wall/floor sample.

Comments (11)

• lotteryticket
    9 years ago

If you search "floor to ceiling tile" in the bath section of houzz.com you can see lots of examples. And some similar to your tile do have a similar look to wallpaper.

[Contemporary Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2103) by London Interior Designers & Decorators Avocado Sweets Interior Design Studio

• pete_p_ny
    9 years ago

Question, you mention no taping drywall. Read before it is best to mud and tape and sand seams. Than prime. And corner beads for outside corners. Not sure if you should skip these steps even though you are tiling the entire wall(s)?

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Looking at your tile sample, hard to believe it would be considered outdated. It's very nice

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

Do you have any outside corners in the room? If so, how do you plan on handling them?

• mdln
    9 years ago

I just did that, tiled floor to ceiling 2-1/2 walls in the bath. My builder recommended it, primarily to make area around window look good. I think he was right. Also minimized the need for edging.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Hey I recognize that tile! It looks like Strands in the color Oyster. I've used it on the floor in a kitchen before but Emser says it's ok for the wall too. I think it came out in fall 2010 - it was brand new when I installed it. Not outdated at all, and I think it would look great on a wall. Especially if you were going for a modern look.

edit: It cuts nice and easy on the wet saw too. I picked it up from Emser with no breakage, and there were no problems cutting it either. Quality stuff.

This post was edited by schicksal on Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 7:17

• mayflower1032
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The tile is Anatolia Zera is sand color. When I saw it at the store, it gave the appearance of wallpaper. Only concern is that the room is small and with 12 x 24 tiles, they may be kind of large for the room and was thinking it may create a lot of waste? Not sure about outside corners, either a scheulter piece or mitering?

Is my thinking correct, do I need to mud and tape all the drywall seams, nails, and wall to ceiling corner, and inside/outside corners?

• cait1
    9 years ago

I'm doing the same thing in a tiny master bathroom with 12inx24in tiles and LOVE it. Also doing a mosaic in the shower stall.

And yes, you should tape and mud everything. I used a clear primer on the walls but forget what that was.

• geoffrey_b
    9 years ago

I'm a DIY engineer. I just finished 350 sq/ft of tile this size in our master bath.

You will only save an insignificat amount of money by not taping the sheetrock.

The real problem with large format tile is the flatness of the walls. I worked reall hard to get the studs shimmed.

In retrospect - I should have mudded the walls. I actually think it may have been cheaper (in labor of getting the studs shimmed, and in labor of setting the tiles.

• TSG1104
    9 years ago

ARGG - I lost my original post so I'm going to be brief this time.

The tile is pretty and I don't think floor to ceiling tile will be outdated. Not sure if you plan on crown or some other way of finishing it off at the ceiling.

If not, you might want to check whether where your walls and ceiling meet is level. Our first project was a basement remodel with a bathroom. The GC tiled the shower to the ceiling as we requested, but the house had settled and the walls and ceiling weren't level or square anymore. (I hope I'm using the correct terms) We ended up with a grout line of varying width between the last row of tiles and the ceiling. No one else might notice, but it drives me nuts.

We had other issues with him too and on all our other projects either we've done the work ourselves or acted as the GC. When we did our master bath I purposefully stopped the tile about a foot or so below the ceiling to avoid this same issue again.

• mdln
    9 years ago

TSG - GREAT advice! My ceiling was not level, so I did a ''vertical running bond'' pattern to help hide it. It looks good (but not excellent). Am SO glad I did not do a horizontal pattern, that would not have looked good.

However, wonder if it would have been better to leave several inches UNtiled.

Houzz pics attached.