Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Space for front tub panel

Posted by ShugrGrl (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 13:39

I'm planning my bathroom remodel and only have a 30" width for my tub space. It is a 3 wall alcove, so I was hoping to find a tub with a nice looking apron front, but the only ones I find that I like are 32" wide. Can anyone tell me, if I bought a 30" wide tub like the one on the below left, how much extra space would I need to have my contractor add a panel to the front that looked like the picture on the right? Would I still end up at 32"? Or is it possible to make the panel flush with the tub edge?
I'm sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but as you can tell I'm pretty clueless about this kind of stuff. So any help is greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Space for front tub panel

It's impossible to give a definitive answer without having a schematic of the tub.

The info I'll pass along right off the bat is that the tub in the photo is an undermount tub. With that tub, you can make the front wall apron as "thick" as you want for your desired apron design and simply have the tub deck deep enough to overhang the front apron as needed.

It's a case where the answer is within the details of the tub and an space itself. I'd recommend getting in touch with your contractor as he'll be aware of the specifics of both.

o

One more thing to consider , you don't want your tub edge to flush with the wood panel , or your wood will get ruined from dripping water on it in no time . This is the first thing one of the contractors told me , to have an overhang of 1.5" on the outer side of the tub deck for that purpose .

o

> The info I'll pass along right off the bat is that the tub in the photo is an undermount tub.

The tub in the right photo is an undermount; the left photo shows an alcove tub with a lip designed to be covered with tile or other wall material on 3 sides, and either a (usually optional) apron or a custom panel in front.

o

lee676, That's what I was pointing out. That the one in the photo is an undermount. And the one that's been chosen is not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here