Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zippy_one

Remodel almost done! Photos

zippy_one
14 years ago

Our bath remodel is just about done!

A little painting, and window treatment, shower curtain to go.

Thanks to all for help along the way!

Sorry for the photo quality-I would redo, but camera is not cooperating...

Here is a link that might be useful: Nearly there!

Comments (12)

• zippy_one
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OKAY! I finally figured out how to post directly.
    BEFORE:

AFTER:

• nopushover
    14 years ago

What a lovely, classic bathroom. Custom vanity looks great (and probably cost less than those from RH and PB). Thanks for sharing.

• weedyacres
    14 years ago

Love the vanity. How many of the drawers are functioning? And what's the counter made of?

• zippy_one
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the kind words!
    A few of the details...
    Our home is a Cape Cod built in '45, and I'm guessing the bath was remodeled in the 80's. We had water damage in the exterior wall, which gave me a valid reason to remodel!
    Bath dimensions are about 5'x9' plus the bath alcove, which is 32"x60".
    Floor: 1" unglazed hex
    Wall: Crossville Savoy in Linen Gloss
    Grout: Bostik TruColor in Misty Gray (floor & wall)
    Paint (wall & ceiling): Devine "Glass"
    Vanity: custom (sim. to RH Hutton)
    Vanity color: Sherwin Williams "Fieldstone"
    Countertop: Soapstone (yum!)
    Vanity hardware: RH Strande, chrome
    Mirror: PB Slender Studio Mirror in aged bronze, 30x42
    Wall sconce: RH Asbury, chrome (not my first choice, but needed sconce with a 5" backplate due to junction box size)
    Sink faucet: Hangrohe/Axor Montreaux (a big splurge, but love it!)
    Toilet: Toto Drake
    Tub: MTI Andrea
    Tub/shower faucet: Hangrohe Tango, chrome
    Wallbar: Hansgrohe, chrome
    Exhaust fan: Fantech w exterior mount fan and dimmable halogen (but I ordered the wrong switch, so not dimmable :(...but does have a programmable timer :))
    Medicine cabinet: custom (it will have a door!) with elec inside--thanks to this forum.
    I agonized over the acrylic v cast iron tub, and opted to do the acrylic to get a nice, deep soaker. This one is very solid.
    Several of the selections were made after researching here on the forum, and looking at photos of finished baths, and I appreciate everyone's input and photos!

• bluekitobsessed
    14 years ago

Beautiful! I'm considering using soapstone for a kid's bathroom, so can I ask the FAQs? Do you need to oil it? Does it show water spots/rings/marks? Does it pick up toothpaste and other common bathroom stains? Any other information unique to bathrooms (not kitchens) worth sharing? Thanks.

Blue

• zippy_one
    Original Author
    14 years ago

weedyacres: the vanity has 4 working drawers; the 2 center are dummy drawer fronts.

bluekitobsessed: I can't offer too much on the soapstone as it has only been in use for a few days, but the fabricator oiled it as I wanted the darker charcoal color.
    I will be oiling it again soon.
    Soapstone is impervious to stains as it is nonporous.
    Check out this link for care of soapstone:

Here is a link that might be useful: Vermont soapstone-care

• sawmill
    14 years ago

Zippy, your bathroom choices create a really nice feeling, a light feeling - love the paint. You should never tire of the classic choices you made - just lovely.

We are also using soapstone for our countertop as it happens to be the only stone we both love.

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

Zippy_one and annaleef: Make sure you go over to the kitchen forum and search soapstone. Look for the posting by Francey on "living with soapstone". It's beautiful, but that post brings up some great comments on care and living with the changing color (oiled/non-oiled).

I love this cabinet. My current hall bathroom is a carbon copy of the "before" pic and I too am looking for ideas!

• sawmill
    14 years ago

firsthouse_mp:
    I don't have to search; I've been on the GW for years. We had Cobra soapstone installed in our kitchen in 2004. It is my favorite element in our house. It is indestructible and easy to care for. The initial color selection and type is the most important decision for satisfaction, I think. We needed a deep black with little/no veining in the kitchen and will again need the same in the master bath to avoid a conflict with the marble and travertine we are considering. However, we are also going to install a different ss with beautiful heavy veining in the laundry room just because it is so pretty and practical. Both are dark to start with, so we will not need to do a lot of oiling.

Zippy, I think you will really enjoy your soapstone!

• cynandjon
    14 years ago

very nice

• brutuses
    14 years ago

Very pretty.

• greigeisgood
    5 years ago

Gorgeous from corner to corner. Tile change make it feel spacious. Love.