Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Custom walk in shower or prefab shower stall?

Posted by gladys1924 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 13:16

We are currently planning on a 48 inch shower stall with door. Basic and functional. But - could we put a walk in, tiled shower for about the same price and space? I know that walk in might be more accessible, but we aren't trying to make this wheelchair accessible, just easy to use when we are elderly. I have seriously trashed knees, and even on a bad knee day, I can handle the curb in a pre fab shower stall.

I'm inclined to go with the prefab shower stall simply because that seems easier. I'm at the point in the building process where I don't want to make one more decision - I just want it to magically appear before my eyes, without my doing anything else or hiring another sub (we are GC'ing this thing).

What type of sub would do the building of the walk in shower, if we went that route? A walk in shower seems nicer than a shower stall.

Suggestions?

This post was edited by gladys1924 on Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 13:22

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Custom walk in shower or prefab shower stall?

What exactly do you mean by a walk in shower? A typical tiled walk in shower will still have a curb. Even doorless showers usually have curbs. That said, for looks I would definitely go with the tiled shower over a pre-fab anything.

o

Jason has a curbless prefab shower unit that looks like it was meant to fit in tub alcoves and work with folks who need wheelchair access. That is a flush drain line across the front. I think you could tie it in with a wainscot and/or tile treatment and have it look very nice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jason curbless shower

o

This is what we're hoping to do. It *looks* like it doesn't have a curb. Or maybe it does? The gal at our local flooring/tile company says that it's doable because of the size - a smaller area would need a curb.I don't know..this thing doesn't need to be wheelchair accessible. But I really do like the look of a tiled shower rather than a prefab stall. If it won't be cost prohibitive? The other thing - we're doing a bear theme in this bathroom (we've got bears on our property) and found some *great* bear tiles that we can use as accents in the shower. If we tile it, that is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Walk in shower from Houzz

o

You can see how we're doing our corner shower. We're doing the tile work ourselves. I asked my friend who's helping and he though it would be around $6,000 if we paid someone else to do the tiling. Ours is 4'X4' and we had to raise it to fit the plumbing in. I do love the love of the tile as I put it in.

o

Fun with tile. I'd think a tile setter could do the shower if you went that route. Doing it myself I do walk with longing past the put in place showers. It's slow going doing it ourselves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here