Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
just_julie

Air Tubs: Access panel AND air vent?

just_julie
14 years ago

Bain Ultra is asking for a minimum 2in x 4in air vent in addition to an access panel. Is it really necessary?

I don't think I've ever seen a picture here with a vent in a tub deck.

Comments (6)

• monicakm_gw
    14 years ago

I'm not really sure what you're talking about but maybe this photo will help. Are you saying they want a 2x4 hole (vent) to the underside of the tub? We don't have one and I think DH would have made one if the directions indicated it was necessary.

• just_julie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They want an air hole/vent in addition to a service panel. The manual says: The service access panel is often the best place to install the air vent.

They also state that if you remote mount the motor in a closet,(which looks like you did), there must be at least 1 in. gap between floor and door.

Apparently there could be an issue of the motor overheating without the air vent. ??? The tub we're ripping out has an access panel with a vent in the middle of it... like a furnace air return vent. The new tub will be across the room, though. I can remote mount up to 15 feet but then I'm worried about the air cooling off on its way over.

The air flow is 75cfm at maximum speed. Chosen space must be at least 50 ft to the third power -- There's an example of 3' x 2'2" x 8' = 52ft to the 3rd.

The tub is going to be set in an 84 x 54 deck with the motor tucked under the end. Is that big enough? lol-my eyes are crossing!

They recommend an ambient room temperature between 72-86 degrees.

Have you used your tub? Does your closet area get hot?

• monicakm_gw
    14 years ago

julie, our bath remodel was complete the end of Dec 07. Yes, I've used my WONDERFUL Bain Ultra air tub...it's addicting :) The linen closet that the turbine sits in has never felt hot. I"ll check it tonight after my bath to see if I can detect any temp increase at all. The closet door is a bi-fold. There is probably a 1/2" space at the bottom and top. Do you see that foam piece covering the intake valve in the first picture? I called Bain Ultra to ask if it would be OK to cover the end of it with a stocking to filter out dust being sucked into the turbine. They said it was fine.

• just_julie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

'Thanks' to both of you for the input.

Monicakm-please let me know if you detect a noticeable change. They say you can go up to 86 degrees so with a vent or 2, we should be ok. Even if it warmed up a little, the air making the bubbles would be warmer and that's a plus. I think we'll install the tub first and make sure all is well before we proceed.

mongoct-very helpful pics, thanks! I'm assuming that vent is made out of the metal stuff that's sold in sheets--used for radiator covers and other misc stuff. That will definitely work. my brother might be able to weld some sort of insert as well so I guess we'll be adding vents.

oh-love the beer yard mongo!

• monicakm_gw
    14 years ago

julie, soooo sorry it took me so long to reply. I just plain ol' forgot :o I did remember to check the closet tho (3 times) and I didn't detect any temperature difference between it and the bathroom.
    Monica

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz