Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
using hydroban, does ansi wa % matter?

Posted by kirkhall (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 25, 12 at 13:04

Hi all,
I found this site when searching the differences between porcelain and ceramic. (see link below).
It describes the ratings on tile and their appropriate usage. I am specifically wondering about the Water Absorption value and its relevance for fully tiled shower that is hydrobanned...

It seems like the daltile at the orange box is a popular tile to use as a cost-effective nice looking tile. But, I see that it lists only a semi-vitreous (3-7% absorption) online (haven't actually looked at the box in the store to see if it perhaps incorrect online). And, according to the link provided, that would suggest that it wouldn't be a good or best choice for use in a shower---better reserved for areas that would see only occasional water like a kitchen floor or backsplash.

So, if using hydroban, does it matter so much what type of tile you use? (absorption-wise?)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: using hydroban, does ansi wa % matter?

http://starcraftcustombuilders.com/PDF/porcelain.or.ceramic.pdf

(it won't let me post it in the link thing, for some reason)

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

I don't know about the Daltile, but there have been complaints here about some of the Merola tile and others sold by HD getting water under the surface and molding, so yeah, I would think it's a bad idea even with hydroban, since that may keep the wall dry, but can't do anything about water within a tile.

o

It doesn't matter, anyway. yes, porcelain has almost zero absorbsion. But whether or not you Hydrioban the shower, it's not a big deal the amount of water that conventional ceramic tile will absorb, because it'll just evaporate back out again, anyway. If you get a tile where water gets in under the glaze and discolors the tile-- especially if it won't dry back out again-- it's defective.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here