Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crown molding bumping to window trim. What to do?

Posted by skuba (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 12:56

Hi, we are putting crown molding on the new bathroom, but just noticed our window is quite high. How to solve for the area where the crown bumps into the window trim?

Cut a slit of the crown and put over window? Will it work in terms of looks?

See picture. (BTW this is the old bathroom)

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crown molding bumping to window trim. What to do?

You could change out all the window trim to flat trim and then run the crown moulding over the flat trim, bumping it out around the top of the window.

o

How large is your crown going to be? Will it be much larger than the trim around the top of the window? If possible, I'd try to incorporate it so it blends into the crown. Like the third and last picture at this link: http://ttecustomhomes.com/portfolio-2/ceilings/

If there isn't enough room to do that, then you might just have to end the crown on either side of the window. I think it's called a return.

If you are hanging window treatments, you might also build out a valance over the window that integrates with the crown. I couldn't find a link directly to a picture, but on this page there is one about half way down on the right. http://www.traditionalproductreports.com/woodwork-historic.html

o

o

I haven't picked yet cause I was waiting for the feedback. But I was thinking 3 1/4 or 4 1/4 and not too elaborate in terms of ridges and steps. GC said he could cut a slit and go over the window trim. I am just not sure if it would look good. Or maybe better completely replace window trim to a more basic one. Or a thinner one so there is space for crown above it. But the window is pretty high.

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here