Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alku05

Desparately need an exellent grout sealer

alku05
12 years ago

We just put in tile floors in our three new bathrooms, and two of them have pale colored grout. Our kids bath has a white grout, and our master has a very pale gray. I wanted to put in a gray grout in the kids bath (B/W octagon dot tile) because I feared white grout staining. However, DH wanted white and our contractor sided with him assuring me that today's grouts were much more stain resisitant, and that he uses a great grout sealant. We've had platinum grout in our marble backsplash sealed with 511 impregnator that has remained spotless (even with dried on tomato sauce)for 4 years, so I bought this spiel.

Well today I discovered that our cat puked on the kids bathroom floor, and it has TOTALLY stained the grout. The bathroom isn't even finished yet! I know vomit is particuarly difficult, but I did expect a little resistance.

The grout is mapei, and the contractor used "Granito Impregnator" from EcoStone to seal the grout. I'm not convinced that sealer did a &@## thing. Obviously I'm going to have to figure out a way to whiten this grout, and reseal it with a different product. What should I use? Can I use my 511 Impregnator on this, or it that a no-go on ceramic?

I am just sick over this...our cat is a lifelong puker, and not to mention what my daughters (currently 2 & newborn) are going to put it through over the years. DH is going to blow a fuse when he gets home and sees it...

Comments (11)

• gbsim1
    12 years ago

A tile job last year came out with lighter grout than I anticipated (was using Haystack and was very light). I bought sealer from This Old Grout which both seals and colors. The Haystack TOG was perfect. 16 months later and it is still perfectly waterproof (our old dog is testing it regularly!).
    Helped a neighbor whose Pewter grout just came out light blue and looked awfu with her slate look porcelain. She recolored it in TOG Natural Grey since she decided she wanted it darker. Looks awesome.
    I was worried that it might be obvious, but you absolutely can't tell there is anything on there. Looks just like regular sanded grout.
    Our grout jobs were both new and so we were able to skip the etching step that they recommend.

Here is a link that might be useful: the website is thisoldgrout.com

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

When I bought our sealer for the two most recently reno'd bathrooms (STT's SB sealer), I also purchased STTs HD clean. I don't tend to use it in the bathrooms as a cleaner after all, but have used it on our kitchen backsplash over the range. The tile and grout can become quite discolored from vented cooking grease etc. (we have an island trim on our Wolf AG range). Sometimes I use Dawn Power Dissolver and sometimes the HD Clean. Both seem to lift the stains out a great deal.

• alku05
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! Cat_mom, we also have island trim behind our Bluestar and have never needed to use anything more than hot water to clean the backsplash- that's how cleanable the grout (and tile) are. So I was expecting a similar situation with the floor tile. Thanks for the cleaning suggestions! I'll probably try those before resorting to the oxyclean. Also, what is STT? StoneTech?

This old grout may be an indispensible suggestion if we decide we need to darken the grout. Thanks!

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Whatever it is (the vented stuff, heat, ???) it discolors the tile as well--could be the angle of the Wolf vent or its height or ? I keep meaning to re-seal it using the SB sealer or with a fresh application of the original sealer (Aquamix Gold) after I get it as clean as possible, but end up putting it off.

I've used OxyClean , too (both spray form and the powder mixed with water into a sort of a paste), but the other two cleaners seem to work better. I use them with a blue scrub sponge (both sides).

STT stands for Surface Treatment Technologies (based in SC). They've changed their site since I was last on it, and it appears they've added some products. I don't know what the difference is between all, but you can probably contact them for more info. I purchased mine from one of their distributors (John Koessler) via phone/email. I think the $/am'ts on the site might be for the distributors, BTW.

Good luck!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: STT-sealers

• DoggieMom
    12 years ago

Hey cat mom - can you still find Dawn Power Dissolver where you live? None of my local grocery or home improvement stores carry it any longer. I've been looking for months!

• gbsim1
    12 years ago

The This Old Grout sealer/colorant isn't just for darkening! It can lighten!

Chose the color they have colors for almost every grout. Works as well (at least on the website) to lighten as to darken.
    I changed mine a shade slight shade darker.... went from sort of an ivory to more of the camel that I thought it would be.

I liked that it sealed as well as colored. No harder than sealing and so I killed two birds with one stone.

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

doggiemom--was going to order it online from ACE Hardware after I realized I could no longer get it at a local A&P supermarket, but found an ACE Hardware within driving distance (actually not too far from DH's office). They had to order it for us this last time (got 6 so we'd have enough on hand to last awhile).

Here is a link that might be useful: ACE

• this_old_grout.com
    12 years ago

Hi,
    Color sealing grout with a grout stain like This Old Grout's Color Sealer will not only restore the grout back to a uniform appearance, it will stain proof the grout...way different level of protection than clear sealers like 511.

Clear sealers are designed to provide a small window of opportunity to pick up a spill before it soaks in. Color sealer creates a permanent layer of protection that prevents the grout from absorbing anything.

We match every grout manufacturers color and you can change the grout from any color to any color. On octagon shaped dot tile, the application is a little different than on larger tiles so if you decide to give it a go, let me know and I'll share a quick video showing you how..

Thanks to those past customers that have posted here about our product!

Best,
    Ken Sherman
    President
    This Old Grout

Here is a link that might be useful: This Old Grout's Color Seal Here

• PRO
    Avanti Tile & Stone / Stonetech
    12 years ago

DuPont sealer. Either the Standard or the Enhancer Pro. Hard to beat...........

• golfschnell
    12 years ago

aquimix gold works great 4 me, iusually get 2 good years out of it before steaming, cleaning, and resealing.

• ultimatecleanerdad
    9 years ago

aquamix sealer's choice is the best. See the link below for some reviews...

Here is a link that might be useful: grout sealer reviews