Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joannemb

Undermount sink suggestion for a vintage style bath

joannemb
11 years ago

Doing our master bath in a 1920's period style....white subway tiles, bridge faucet, schoolhouse lighting etc. and am stumped on the sink. I've exhausted the apron style dream---It just can't happen due to design issues. I am so tired of my oval sinks and would like a change, but am worried that rectangular or square will read too modern in the space. I am tossing around the Kohler Archer undermount which seems to be a bit of a compromise between round and square.... I would love your opinions/thoughts! Thanks so much

Here is a link that might be useful: Archer

Comments (20)

• joannemb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmmm...Now I found this and I love it! Problem is I can't find one with 2 holes (8 inch spread)---The bridge faucet I love is not a single hole. If I get a sink like this with no hole, how else can I mount the faucet? To the wall? Or can I somehow use my bridge faucet (2 holes 8 inch center)

Here is a link that might be useful: above mount sink

• marcolo
    11 years ago

This looks more vintage to me than those.

{{gwi:1446296}}

• joannemb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I was up all night (had to make the decision by this morning for several reasons.) I changed my mind, so really this should be a 'vessel sink' thread. I went with this sink:
    http://www.faucetdirect.com/kraus-kcv-121-19-white-ceramic-rectangular-vessel-sink-with-pop-up-drain/p1683279?intcmp=recs_cat_prodKCV-121_productPageWRatings3Items_placement2
    And this wall mounted faucet: http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/Kingston-Brass-KS3241AX-Vintage-8-Centerset-Vessel-Sink-Faucet-Chrome/190081/Cat/875 I have always wanted a farmhouse sink in my kitchen, and this to me seems like it is along those lines..... Vintage enough (because it mimics an old style wash basin) but modern too (since, um, well, it's a vessel sink.) :) The vintagy wall mounted faucet will help demoderinze it I hope and I chose to go with a more rounded rectangle rather than one with sharp corers so that it will hopefully blend better with the period style of the room. Would still love to hear your thoughts!
    I read all of the threads on vessel vs. undermount, and feel like the cleaning issue is the one thing I will be giving up.... This is the one impractical part of the bathroom, but I'm going to embrace it because I'm always a bit too practical. :)

• joannemb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That is GORGEOUS. I love it---and I really had my heart set on something like that. But I promised myself that this bathroom would be practical and fit my needs, and I absolutely without question needed a vanity with storage. Thank you for making me drool though... And your floor is beautiful too!

• marcolo
    11 years ago

I'll never get the obsession with vanities. They have usable storage only if they are wide enough to accommodate full drawers on either side of the sink cabinet. Otherwise you are stuck with a plumbing-encumbered back-breaking cabinet below and nothing else.

My bath is even smaller than TorontoTim's, I also did a console sink (my sink has an integrated porcelain top), and I have the storage I need. We took over the hall linen closet outside the bath for bulky items, and then installed a very deep (8") Robern medicine cabinet over the sink that holds everything from toothpaste to medicines to electric toothbrushes and razors--it has outlets inside.

• cosanostra
    11 years ago

TorontoTim I love the legs on your sink. Can you tell me where you got them from?

• joannemb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lol---forgive me for asking, but does a WOMAN live with you? Lord do we have a lot of stuff....hair dryers, curling irons, etc. I could see doing this in a basement bath, but for us--- This is our main bath---and it is small. I need a place to store cleaners, toilet paper etc. Believe me, if I could I would forgo the vanity (I personally hate the look of them.)

• tetrazzini
    11 years ago

Toronto, that's a perfect match of marble and metal!

• shanghaimom
    11 years ago

Hi Joanne,

Here's a pic of the Kohler Memoirs undermount in our vintage-y bath. The 36" vanity is just wide enough for his n' hers toothbrush/toothpaste drawers. Those two little drawers are now one of my simple pleasures after having a pedestal sink with zero storage for years. Ahhhhhhhhhhh...

• hendricksac
    8 years ago

torontotim, could you possibly tell me the overall dimensions of your sink top, sink legs, and actual sink? We are trying to fit a very small sink like this in a small space, but are struggling with the undercount sink size - and also struggling to find a place to get the legs that small. Would really appreciate any advice you could give. Thanks! - Alex

• Tim
    8 years ago
    I'll measure it up and get the supplier I used for the legs when I'm back in town.
  • rebeccamomof123
    8 years ago

Doing something similar with a wood counter for my small 5X6 full bath.

• hendricksac
    8 years ago

torontotim, thanks so much! I really appreciate it! - Alex

• Tim
    8 years ago
    The sink is 20 wide by 18 deep and 35 off the floor to the top of the marble.

The cutout for the under mount is 12 3/4 x 9 3/4.

I got the polished nickel console leg kit from Signature Hardware online. You cut the pipes to make the width and depth fit your application.

The faucet is Porcher Reprise. I got them cheap as the line was discontinued but we used them years earlier in the upstairs bath and I wanted it all to match and look like it was all done at once.

I had the marble top made, fitting an inexpensive under mount sink.

I think the marble cost about $200, the sink was $100, faucets $150. The leg kit was the killer at $500. So yeah it's a $1000 tiny sink when all is said and done.

It was an over the top no holds barred jewel for the basement bathroom. It is a very small room (5 x 8) and there is a 36 inch corner shower in it. So I went overboard on the heated marble floor and sink.

Doing most of the work myself allowed the extra expense on the sink.
  • fgnangel
    8 years ago

TorontoTim, I have a remnant piece of marble leftover from my kitchen and would love to do the exact same thing as you did here, but I cannot seem to find just the console leg kit on Signature Hardware!! I've been searching like crazy and I only see kits on their site that include the sink. Did you have to special order them?

• juddgirl2
    8 years ago

I really like the shape of the Kohler Archer sinks we used in a double vanity. Will definitely use them again.

• Tim
    8 years ago

It looks like they're still available from Signature Hardware. You cut the pipes to match the width and depth of your sink top.

http://www.signaturehardware.com/complete-brass-console-stand-up-to-601376.html

• denisekss
    7 years ago

What is the brand and actual size of the sink itself, excluding the marble top. I'm having difficulty finding such a small oval sink.

• Tim
    7 years ago

I think it is an Acritec 36905