Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Undermount sink suggestion for a vintage style bath

Posted by joannemb (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 29, 12 at 12:51

Doing our master bath in a 1920's period style....white subway tiles, bridge faucet, schoolhouse lighting etc. and am stumped on the sink. I've exhausted the apron style dream---It just can't happen due to design issues. I am so tired of my oval sinks and would like a change, but am worried that rectangular or square will read too modern in the space. I am tossing around the Kohler Archer undermount which seems to be a bit of a compromise between round and square.... I would love your opinions/thoughts! Thanks so much

Here is a link that might be useful: Archer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Undermount sink suggestion for a vintage style bath

Hmmm...Now I found this and I love it! Problem is I can't find one with 2 holes (8 inch spread)---The bridge faucet I love is not a single hole. If I get a sink like this with no hole, how else can I mount the faucet? To the wall? Or can I somehow use my bridge faucet (2 holes 8 inch center)

Here is a link that might be useful: above mount sink

o

This looks more vintage to me than those.

o

Well, I was up all night (had to make the decision by this morning for several reasons.) I changed my mind, so really this should be a 'vessel sink' thread. I went with this sink:
http://www.faucetdirect.com/kraus-kcv-121-19-white-ceramic-rectangular-vessel-sink-with-pop-up-drain/p1683279?intcmp=recs_cat_prodKCV-121_productPageWRatings3Items_placement2
And this wall mounted faucet: http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/Kingston-Brass-KS3241AX-Vintage-8-Centerset-Vessel-Sink-Faucet-Chrome/190081/Cat/875 I have always wanted a farmhouse sink in my kitchen, and this to me seems like it is along those lines..... Vintage enough (because it mimics an old style wash basin) but modern too (since, um, well, it's a vessel sink.) :) The vintagy wall mounted faucet will help demoderinze it I hope and I chose to go with a more rounded rectangle rather than one with sharp corers so that it will hopefully blend better with the period style of the room. Would still love to hear your thoughts!
I read all of the threads on vessel vs. undermount, and feel like the cleaning issue is the one thing I will be giving up.... This is the one impractical part of the bathroom, but I'm going to embrace it because I'm always a bit too practical. :)

o

Late but this is what I did in our basement bath - undermount sink with a marble top on console legs.

It's a small 4 x 8 bathroom that I squeezed a shower into. The marble top is only 20" wide.

Photobucket

o

That is GORGEOUS. I love it---and I really had my heart set on something like that. But I promised myself that this bathroom would be practical and fit my needs, and I absolutely without question needed a vanity with storage. Thank you for making me drool though... And your floor is beautiful too!

o

I'll never get the obsession with vanities. They have usable storage only if they are wide enough to accommodate full drawers on either side of the sink cabinet. Otherwise you are stuck with a plumbing-encumbered back-breaking cabinet below and nothing else.

My bath is even smaller than TorontoTim's, I also did a console sink (my sink has an integrated porcelain top), and I have the storage I need. We took over the hall linen closet outside the bath for bulky items, and then installed a very deep (8") Robern medicine cabinet over the sink that holds everything from toothpaste to medicines to electric toothbrushes and razors--it has outlets inside.

o

TorontoTim I love the legs on your sink. Can you tell me where you got them from?

o

Lol---forgive me for asking, but does a WOMAN live with you? Lord do we have a lot of stuff....hair dryers, curling irons, etc. I could see doing this in a basement bath, but for us--- This is our main bath---and it is small. I need a place to store cleaners, toilet paper etc. Believe me, if I could I would forgo the vanity (I personally hate the look of them.)

o

Toronto, that's a perfect match of marble and metal!

o

Hi Joanne,

Here's a pic of the Kohler Memoirs undermount in our vintage-y bath. The 36" vanity is just wide enough for his n' hers toothbrush/toothpaste drawers. Those two little drawers are now one of my simple pleasures after having a pedestal sink with zero storage for years. Ahhhhhhhhhhh...
Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here