Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about vanity installation against two walls

Posted by nika107 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 19, 12 at 12:41

Hi everyone - we are getting ready to purchase an "off the shelf" vanity top for our vanity. This is for a remodel of a small (5x8) hall/kids bathroom, and we had to get a 24" vanity. The vanity will nest in the corner of two walls, although it's not a corner style vanity.

My question is... If we buy, say, a Pegasus brand vanity top from Home Depot, and install it, will we then have a gap between the vanity and the wall? Because I'm assuming the sink will be centered on the vanity top, but the vanity top is 25", and the vanity itself is 24". Which should mean that there's a half inch overhang on either side of the vanity. Which then means there will be a half inch gap between the vanity and the wall.

How do you rectify this? With caulking? Or should we just bite the bullet and go to a local place to get a custom-built vanity top? Not that it would be that expensive, just most likely more expensive then the $180 Pegasus one.

Thanks for any words of wisdom!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about vanity installation against two walls

Have the vanity top overhang one side by 1", rather than centered on the vanity. Not a big deal.

o

You may also want to know if the corner of the room is actually square. I did a remodel and found that my free standing vanity was square whereas the walls in the corner of the room were not. I pulled it slightly out from the wall to try to make it less obvious. I found the same issue when I swapped a corner vanity for a pedestal sink in my powder room.

o

Do a filler strip along that side of the vanity. I am assuming that the sink hole is already cut. I think it would look better to fill the gap rather than pulling the counter to one side, even if just a smidgen (I'd be able to see the shift).

Unless of course if there is no sink hole cut, then having the 1" on one side makes sense, cutting the sink hole taking that adjustment into consideration.

o

We have 1 inch on one side, looks just fine. We ran into an issue with the walls not being square, but too late to fix anything so one wall has a slit towards the back so the counter sits flush at the front. Honestly, with a 48 inch vanity, can't even tell it goes into the wall at all since it's such a small amount.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here