Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
budge1_gw

one more time - what kind of caulk do we use?

budge1
16 years ago

I just went to buy the caulk for our tiled shower (although it's not actually tiled yet, I'm hoping that some day soon we will actually get to this point) and found Mapei's colour matched caulk in sanded and unsanded.

Now maybe it's just because my little one was up all night with the flu and I am dead tired, but it didn't seem to say anywhere on it whether it was siliconized latex or pure silicone or just latex.

I know Bill says to use the siliconized latex because it is easier to work with and he hasn't had any probs with it so that is what I would like, but how do I tell if this Mapei product is what I want?

Comments (16)

• budge1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just spent some time over on J Bridge, and am more confused than ever.

Even though the experts over there all say to use 100% silicone, they also say it is hugely difficult to work with and would not recommend it to DIYers or those without experience using it.

Some say they've had hugely bad experience with Mapei's caulk others say it's okay.

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

I've used Mapei's caulk (which is ALL siliconized latex) for about 7 years now, and never had a single problem with it. Budge, could you give me the link to your thread? I'm gonna go over and raise a little "heck". :-)

• budge1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey bill, I'm glad to hear you are happy with the Mapei. Seven years is good enough for me. Is there any prep other than digging out any grout that may have gotten in? One guy talked about washing down with denatured alcohol 1st (but then again he said the caulk failed soon after install).

I found these by googling "mapei caulk" - both are old threads and neither of them are JBridge as I had thought. In fact, you did weigh in on one thread.

http://www.ontariotile.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=000223

http://www.floorstransformed.com/ceramic_tile/messages/5614.html

In the JB thread here (also old) they just seem to like the silicon better, but again don't like the difficulty with it.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-316.html

• mpwdmom
    16 years ago

For better or worse (and it's probably worse, had an awful day w/ our bathroom project today...quarter size patch of scratches on my granite as the GS was installing drawer fronts, and he was careful) OK back to caulk...

We used Polyblend Ceramic Tile Caulk, it says on the back it is siliconized caulk. It's Sandstone, which matched the color of our grout although that was another brand. Anyway, the caulk has something called Moldguard Technology so I hope it was the right thing. Now that I look at the tube (Lowe's or HD) it doesn't say for porcelain tile. And if that's not the right thing to use, don't anyone tell me today...I can't take more trouble. : (
    Susan ~

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

It's Sandstone, which matched the color of our grout although that was another brand.

Polyblend makes caulks to match several different manufacturers, and yes, it was the right stuff to use. :-) As for the "Moldguard Technology", that's something everyone's starting to put into their products to combat the constant mold problems everyone seems to have.

Budge-- That JB thread was from 2001, when color matched caulks were only a couple of years old. Even alot of the old dogs have learned this new trick. :-)

• budge1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks mpwdwoman, I saw the polyblend at home depot but they only had dark grey and I need light grey.

Hope you have a better day today. That's great that you are already at the drawer front stage - is there a chance we'll see pictures soon?

Bill, I'm so relieved to hear that the colour matched is good to use, #1- it is cheaper, #2 - the mess they were describing with the silicone just made me queasy.

Another thing they talked about was looking at expiry dates on the tubes. Is this still a problem? I also have to admit that I didn't look at the dates on the threads until you asked me for the links and I went back to find them.

• mpwdmom
    16 years ago

Bill, it's good to hear we did something right.

And budge, yes we are at that stage. I wish I could say I loved the drawers, but some are too big, and the maple didn't take the stain the way I hoped. We're not making any changes though. Right now we're just tired. Demo started the end of March and I'm yet to take a bath in the Toto, use my niche...but soon. : )
    Susan ~

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

budge-- I've never seen an expiration date on a tube of caulk, and it's funny-- not two weeks ago I asked someone at the Dal warehouse if there was a shelf life to the tubes and was told no. The reason I asked is that I've got tubes of caulking in my garage that are, in some cases, 2 years old, and was told they should be fine.

• mpwdmom
    16 years ago

OT from caulk, but I took a bath last night in the Toto and was so pleased!! Dh had already showered in the other bathroom so tonight will be his first time. Good golly, we are nerds...getting this excited over taking a bath!
    Susan ~

• budge1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am so happy to hear you are still happy with the tub.

They are suppose to be bringing ours in today. I am so worried someone is going to drop their wrench on it or some other disaster - we have waited so long.

• mpwdmom
    16 years ago

I know that feeling, but it seems to be a tough tub. You wouldn't know that from reading the literature that comes with it though...I've never read such warnings...do not do 'X' (and there's a bunch of them) or you will damage your tub etc. I think as long as you do NOT scrub it with an abrasive cleaner it will stay nice and shiny for many years.
    Susan ~

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Good golly, we are nerds...getting this excited over taking a bath!

It all depends on the light in which you see it. In that light, yes, it's nerdy as hell!! LOL However, if you look at it as enjoying the fruits of your labor (in putting together the capital and credit to be able to do this), then it's worth enjoying every single second of it!!

• budge1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tub is installed (I love it) and they are going to make a drywall cover for it so it doesn't get damaged with the rest of the construction (whew!)

Okay, so we're fine with nerdy - what about whiny and stressed?

The tub has gone in and most of the drywall is up and I am quietly freaking out because everything looks soooo small. I mean the tub looks huge in the tiny room. I'm really hoping I haven't tried to cram too much into our miniscule 6x7' space. The fan and the ceiling fixture look really close together and the sconces seem to take up a whole wall. I had pictured towel hooks over the toilet but there is no way there is going to be room. Oh, I really hope I haven't screwed this up.

• mpwdmom
    16 years ago

if you look at it as enjoying the fruits of your labor (in putting together the capital and credit to be able to do this), then it's worth enjoying every single second of it!!

Yeah Bill you're right and I'm trying. And we didn't borrow, but still, when I wrote the first check, it was kind of an out of body experience.

Okay, so we're fine with nerdy - what about whiny and stressed?

Budge, I'm there too -- you should have seen me on Tues when my granite got scratched...granite guy comes tomorrow, but I'm not optimistic.

As for size, our 14 x 8 layout seems big enough, but that includes both closets (on the diagonal on either side of tub). When the new vanity went in (taller that the old) it seemed to take much more space. But it's OK now...and now I stew over the stained woodwork and the granite scratches, ha!
    Susan ~

• budge1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think we need a new forum - "the stressing over minor details forum" or "the counselling for renovators forum"

I think I may be able to help with one of your worries Susan. When I went to see our marble vanity today, there were several deep scratches. These were on the original slab/remnant but the sales girl said they would fix them. When some were still there today, I asked if they hadn't been able to fix them and the fabricator said no he just hadn't noticed them. It took him about 10 minutes to fix/fill them. Hopefully the scratches in your granite will be the same.

Not sure what colour you are trying to attain on the woodwork, but I've done a fair bit of antique refinishing and I've found that I usually need to do at least 2 colours of stain to get the depth of colour I'm looking for.

• mpwdmom
    16 years ago

Thanks budge, will hope for the best on the granite. As for stain, what's done is done. Dh thinks it looks OK. The GC used a gel stain (thick) so in the corners where the frame attaches to the cabs, it looks as dark as brown paint. I approved the color (a sample on a test piece) so here we are. He was going for a furniture look. And part of the problem is the wood is maple which I learned doesn't show wood grain like oak. I'm going to have to get used to it...but I'll do things differently in the guest bath and kitchen.

And yes, we need a forum designated as a worry wall! ; )
    Susan ~

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz