Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting bathroom reno

Posted by booiegirl (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 5, 12 at 12:24

I have been reading through this forum and looking at photos and it has been really informative - made me think of things that I never would have thought of! We are in the process of 2 DIY bathroom reno - full family bath and powder room (just in final planning stages) and I have a few questions that I am hoping I can get some help with:

1. In the "powder room" (which is essentially a vanity off of the master bedroom right now) we want to add a toilet and pedestal sink. The space is 54 inches long and the pedestal sink and toilet would be side by side. We are planning on using the Ravenna pedestal sink which is 24.25 inches wide at max - http://www.americanstandard.ca/products/productDetail.aspx?id=5915 and the Cadet 3 toilet which is 26.24 inches wide -http://www.americanstandard.ca/products/productDetail.aspx?id=6955. I think it will all fit but just barely - will it be functional? We really would like to add a toilet to the space so that we have 2 toilets upstairs for a family of five. Just trying to make it fit!

2. We are using a 48 inch vanity in the main bathroom with a mirror and side sconces. The mirror and side sconces need to fit over the 48 inch vanity - what width size mirror should I be looking for and how much clearance on each side of the sconces do I need? How far apart should the sconces be for proper lighting?

3. I am confused on the slide bar for the bathroom tub/shower combo � do we have the slide bar in addition to a fixed faucet or just the slide bar? We are wanting to get the Moen Eva faucets for the 2 sinks http://www.moen.ca/eva/chrome-one-handle-high-arc-bathroom-faucet/_/R-CA-CONSUMER%3A6400 � and I know that there is also a tub/shower fixture in the Eva collection as well. http://www.moen.ca/eva/chrome-posi-temp-r-tub-shower/_/R-CA-CONSUMER%3AT2133 But that isn�t a slide bar so I am confused. Do I get that fixture as well as the slide bar? - Not sure if I am making any sense.

I know those are some fairly detailed questions but any help would really be appreciated. I am driving myself (and my husband) nuts!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting bathroom reno

1 most codes require 32"min for side to side on a toilet
check your area code

2 what is proper lighting? what size bulbs will you use?, what kind?, Turned up?, or down? too many variables that all require personal preference.

3 Are you going to use the tub as a tub sometimes, or as a shower only, or both. this decision should be easy based on the proposed use of it.

You did a wonderfull job of providing details of the fixtures, but to help make your decisions we need more details on your personal preferences/uses.
whith my questions you may now have your answers, if not more info and we can try again.

o
RE: Starting bathroom reno

In my opinion, one shower head is all you need in a shower/tub combination. Fixed or handheld on slider is personal preference.

We have a shower with no tub, and I am enjoying my first-ever handheld a lot. I'd expected to use it only occasionally, to rinse walls after cleaning, wash the dog, etc. But I use it daily (removed from slider). My DH prefers to use the fixed shower head. I guess having a choice of shower heads is a nice little luxury for us in an otherwise simple bathroom renovation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here