Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lighting help

Posted by ikea_gw (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 12:13

I need some help with lighting for the master bath. I've uploaded the floorplan (slightly different from the latest version dimension wise but config is the same). I am thinking about using a combo of recessed lighting and 2 mini pendants for the vanity area.

The vanity is 40" wide w/single sink and 40"x25" matching mirror. I am thinking about dropping 1 mini pendant on each side of the sink about 24" from the ceiling and 10" from the wall. The rest will be 4 or 5 inch recessed LED lights but not sure how many or where to put them. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lighting help

Question: is your first priority to make the room pretty for people other than your family to admire? Or is your first priority to make the vanity utilitarian for personal cleansing and make-up, etc.? I ask, not judgmentally, but to clarify the choices.

If your purpose is utilitarian, then soft, preferably indirect, lighting is indicated,. Harsh shadows and high contrast are your foes. Dropped pendants will likely give you high contrast and harsh shadows.

On the other hand, dropped pendants will really highlight the room for showing off the coolness of the fixtures.

o
RE: Lighting help

Both function and aesthetics are important to us I guess. I see what you mean about pendants casting harsh shadows. The ones I've been looking at have white moderately transparent glass so the light is less like a downright spot light.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here