Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerzeegirl_gw

A question about using bullnose tile

jerzeegirl
9 years ago

I have a recessed window in my bath alcove. I am planning to use 2 x 6" Heath tile for the bath alcove and I would like to run it vertically (up the wall). So what kind of bullnose do I order for the window? I am pretty sure the top and bottom sills of the window gets the short end bullnose (so it lines up with the tile going up the wall. But what gets used for the side sills of the window? Do you use long side bullnose or do you continue the short side bullnose around the entire window?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (11)

• geoffrey_b
    9 years ago

Do they have both bull nose sizes? I think you could use 'long' all the way around the window. Less grout joints.

Have you considered using Schluter profiles? Many places sell them (HD, Lowes 9, tile places)

Here is a link that might be useful: Schluter

• jerzeegirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I really like the Schluter profiles and my DH used them in his bathroom remodel. I would too but I don't think they go with the handmade tile look which is why I would like to use the bullnose.
    This company does make the short and the long bullnose tiles. Since the window frame is 4" deep all around it might be better to use the short bullnose all around and just cut it at 4".

I think you are right, though. Whatever it is, it should be consistent (whether short or long) for the whole window regardless of what's going on around it!

• Bunny
    9 years ago

It sounds like my window. We used quarter-round all around the edges, window and niche.

• jerzeegirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I really like the way that looks and I would do that in a heartbeat but this tile doesn't have quarter-rounds. That alcove is really beautiful (and so is the Holstein contemplating it).

• Bunny
    9 years ago

jerzeegirl, thank you. Zephyr (Holstein) was just wrapping up his inspection. He's a stickler for detail, but we passed.

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

Zephyr was actually surveying the situation to determine the best way to get up in that window.

• Gemcap
    9 years ago

That's a lovely photo of Zephyr, Linelle. Very contemplative :-)

Could you be kind enough to post a closeup of the alcove and window edges.

Many thanks

• Bunny
    9 years ago

gemcap, it's early morning and my iPhone isn't rendering colors very well, but you get an idea of how the quarter round works at the edges.

This shows the detail around the top and window. I think it was sheer luck that the row of subways right under the window ended where it did, so that the quarter round is a perfect fit.

Here's the front outer edge.

Niche

Theres no bullnose at all. I have BN in my kitchen backsplash where it just dies into the wall. But with the thickness of the Kerdi under the tile, the quarter round covers it pretty well.

I just wanted a simple tile treatment in my alcove. Too many choices, too many ways design can go wrong, budget. It's all Daltile and I made sure the trim was available before I decided.

• Gemcap
    9 years ago

Oh wowsy! That is so very neat Linell. I'm showing this right away to our contractor - he was planning grout so change of plans called for asap. Thanks very much for posting. Much appreciated :-0

• Bunny
    9 years ago

gemcap, you're welcome. They didn't have the little caps for the corners (inner and outer), so my guy cut them off a corner piece. He also had to do a little mitering, but it's barely noticeable. I bought some sample tile and 1x6 quarter round pieces at Home Depot to see how I liked the look, but my contractor got it all from Daltile. Real inexpensive standard stuff.

BTW, this all went together very easily in a standard 5-ft. tub alcove. The niche was somewhat freehand and I like how it turned out.

• Mai
    5 years ago
    Linelle- I was wondering what brand/color grout you used with the subway surround? It looks really nice. I'm having the hardest time finding a true medium neutral gray! Most of the light ones are either too light and most of the medium seem too dark. There are also many that seem to beige or blue!