Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natbear

Master bathroom help

Hello, everyone. I'm new to the bathrooms forum. I've been preparing myself to undertake a kitchen renovation for a few years now, however, life has thrown a curve ball. Today, I am faced with a leak requiring a complete master bath renovation in a home I was set to move into in a week.

The problem is I am uninspired and don't know much about bathroom remodeling.

Can anyone help me reconfigure the space? I have basic measurements of the walls. I drew the existing layout on graph paper guessing the size of the current components. I can move the doorway anywhere along its current wall, maybe even substituting it for a pocket door.

Does anyone want to help me with the pretty stuff (tile selection, vanity, etc.)? I will also cross post this on the home decorating forum.

Here are my thoughts:

1. Budget is $10,000 or less. Less is more, IYKWIM. :)

2. Function is priority. I would like to remove the tub & enlarge the shower. I love my current shower space at 41"W x 54"L.

3. I would like a portion of the vanity at table height for seated hairstyling and makeup application. Also, I would prefer that spot did not have a door swinging into it. That is my current situation and it's annoying as most of my bathroom time is spent at the vanity.

4. My style is british colonial/the island look.

For those gracious enough to read this far, here is the graph drawing:

Here are two pictures of the space:

Comments (10)

• itltrot
    9 years ago

Can you go ahead and post the measurements. The little lines are hard for my eyes to read.

Can the plumbing be moved?

• natebear zone 10B
    Original Author
    9 years ago

itltrot, the north & south walls are 7 1/2 ft. long and the east & west walls are 8 ft. long.

Extra closet space measurements: north & south walls 5 ft. long, east & west walls are 4 ft. long.

Yes, the plumbing can be moved.

Thanks for taking a look. :)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Only a shower, no tub at all? Where is the main waste pipe for the bathroom?

• natebear zone 10B
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Palimpsest, thanks for taking a look. :) I don't mind having only a shower. It just seems like there wouldn't be room for one if my priorities are a larger shower and vanity space. Also, there is another bathroom in the home with a tub/shower combo. As far as the location of the main waste pipe for the bathroom, how would I know? I don't mean that in a flippant way, either. ;)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

If this is on the first floor and the basement ceiling is open, you may be able to tell. Usually it's pretty close to the toilet.

I guess another important question is, which way do the joists run?

Generally it looks like you could put a large shower where the current bathtub is, straighten out the toilet but keep it essentially in that location and put a vanity, or another vanity in the current tub location, while making the other vanity shorter or making that linen storage to allow access to the toilet.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

For decorative help, post on the Decorating/Design or Kitchen forums, even though this is a bathroom.

• natebear zone 10B
    Original Author
    9 years ago

palimpsest, the home is on a concrete slab. I've decided on the layout you suggested above, although the shower will be across from the toilet. A closet will be in the current shower space and the vanity location will remain the same.

I posted on the home decorating side as well and just today added some pictures of a couple elements I have decided on. I would love your input over there as well. :)

• jaynes123_gw
    9 years ago

Wow - I love british colonial eventhough I never heard of it before reading your thread. Considered myself coastal, cottage, tropical and adding BC to the list LOL

Disgregard following if you know houzz but if not, you really should see it - youll be overwhelmed with ideas based on what your looiking for.

Specifically two things there but you do the same thing for both. Go to either link below & in search field top center screen type in things like island bathroom and then try british colonial bathroom and tropical bathroom (also small bathrooms).

IDEABOOKS link will show you photos-based articles written by their editors / designers with suggestions based on your search.

PHOTOIS is just that, zillions of photos to click thru based on your search criteria t to inspire your design. Sometimes putting your cursor on item in photo will show green tag - bring cursor to tag for brand name of item. Questions/ answers about items in photo often are posted in left column if you scroll down it.

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks

https://www.houzz.com/photos/home-design-ideas-phbr0-bp~

• jaynes123_gw
    9 years ago

BTW

How did you post more than one photo in your post?

• natebear zone 10B
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jaynes123, thanks for taking a look. :) Yes, I'm familiar with houzz. I've spent way too many hours perusing there. Lol

In order to post one than one picture, I set up a free account on photobucket and upload the pictures there. Make sure to set the privacy to public for the pictures you will link to. Once your pictures are uploaded, click on a picture. Look at the right hand of the screen. There will be 4 boxes under "Links to share this photo". Click inside the HTML box. It should turn yellow and briefly say "copied". Then you place your cursor, in the message box here and right click paste. Repeat for each picture. For Houzz pictures, you go to the picture, click under the picture where it says embed. A box will come up with a few options. I always choose "small image". Highlight all the text in that box and right click copy. Come back here, place your cursor in the message box and right click paste.

I hope that helps. I'm sorry if it sounds jumbled. Lol

I'm linking to my continuation of this post over on the home decorating side, should you want to take a look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Decorating