Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gypsy_jazz

Shower Window...err in judgement?

gypsy_jazz
11 years ago

Our fully gutted house is in the framing stage - new windows have not yet been installed. There is a second floor bathroom with a window in the tub/shower area. Its a 5x11 room with the tub/shower at the end under the window.

Originally, a roughly 1ft9in x 3ft fiberglass casement(all other windows are aluminum clad exterior with pine interiors) was called out. Upon ordering windows, I changed it to an awning style that about 15in x 30in(so, short and wide). I felt there was too much glass and too much exposure for a window in a shower. No the sill would be at about 5ft6in off the floor of the tub.

Anyway, to make a long story short our architect sent me a scolding email becaused the interior of this window is now pine, just like the rest of the windows in the house. He's worried about rotting, etc. Honestly, I think the fiberglass looks cheap. I thought the sill would be high enough to not attract much water, and the jamb will be wrapped in tile. So, only the sash is vulnerable.

Did I make a huge mistake? Honestly, I'm still confortable with much choice, but didn't like the scolding!

Thoughts on mitigating potential issues?

Comments (6)