Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wood wainscoting around tub

Posted by rebecca3142 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 11:44

I had my heart set on wood wainscoting on the side of the tub and around the "surround" area, like this:

My tile guy strongly recommends tile for those areas due to the water issue. I have used him many times over the years, and I do trust his opinion....but I don't love the look of tile everywhere.

I found vinyl wainscoting that looks good, but no one that we've talked to locally has installed it before.

So, should I just go ahead with what I love, or go with the professionals recommendation? Is he being overly cautious? I am trying to balance esthetics with durability and I hope to not make a big mistake.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wood wainscoting around tub

No, he's not being overly cautious. Water damage is a very real possibility when you use wood panels in the bath. You have to be willing to accept that risk, and know what you'd do if it happened.

o

Maybe a hybrid approach would work -- have tile installed above the tub deck but go with wood on the apron and the rest of the walls.

Go with what you love! Here's a photo of mine (the wood apron).

This post was edited by Jewel654 on Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 12:45

o

There is some tile that looks like beadboard. You could use that as a backsplash around the tub and do a paneled wainscot around the rest of the room and on the front of the tub deck as Jewel654 posted above. I've linked to some Ann Sacks tile but there are other brands.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ann Sacks beadboard tile

o

Thank you everyone! That beautiful tile is more than I am willing to spend.

I might go with the combo approach. I assume that above the deck is probably more at risk than the tub apron?

o

Yes, wood wainscoting surrounding the tub deck is more likely to get frequently splashed than the apron would get dripped on...

o

rebecca3142:

How much do you splash when you take a bath?

It's a rhetorical question, but when you answer this, you'll have your answer.

o

o

I am leaning towards subway tile for the surround part, still thinking about the apron.

I haven't taken a bath in my own house in over a decade, so no idea. Looking forward to it!

o

I have a teak tub deck with a film finish over my undermount tub and painted wood wainscot (painted poplar) around the back of the tub. Been...maybe 15 years? Some splishing, some splashing, but no damage. Still looks fine.

o

I'm glad mongo chimed in - Unless there are children using this tub, I can't imagine splashing at all. What adult splashes water on the walls when they're in the tub?

o

99% of the time, it will be used by adults....and not that frequently. I agree that there wouldn't be splashing, but I can also see that a little bit of water escapes when you get out of a full tub. I just need to decide if that bit of water makes me nervous enough to change my design.

o

I've had wood on the apron since 2008 with no problems. We tiled the backsplash above the tub deck, so I can't comment on that. Then once a year, grandsons visit and love the whirlpool. I think they swim laps and do racing turns, because when they are done, water is everywhere! Thus the importance of the "who uses it?" question!

o

When we bought our house, there was gawd awful floral tiles around the ensuite tub. Replacing them wasn't an option, so I glued beadboard (particle board) over top with a chair rail. It's been at least 10 years. The tub doesn't get used much, but the wall has never gotten wet. And if it ever does, there's tile underneath.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here