Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texascatherder

Master bath / closet layout help please

TexasCatherder
11 years ago

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out the best layout for my master bath and closet. The whole area was gutted last year due to mold problems (long story) and I'm ready to start rebuilding it. I've tried many different layouts and finally decided I needed to ask for help!

- There is a high probability that I will have an elderly parent living in this space in the next couple of years, so I am trying to make it as accessible as possible.

- This is a first-floor bath on a concrete slab.

- I have to stay within the existing footprint of the space (fireplace, other bathrooms, exterior limestone masonry walls, etc. preclude enlarging the space.)

- Closet space is less important to me than having an accessible bathroom.

Here is my working space:

And here is my proposed layout:

Any and all suggestions and ideas are welcome!

Comments (6)

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

If I were you'd I'd pose this question to Bevangel--often found in the building forum (you can locate a post by her, click her name, then email her through GW to ask her to post on this). She is very knowledgable about accessible homes/baths, etc.

From another post she commented on:
    "Any room or closet that you want to make wheelchair accessible needs to have a wide enough door (32" minimum) for a wheelchair to get thru. Accessible bathrooms need to have a 5' diameter circle of clear floor space so that a wheel-chair can get turned around in them."

So, I worry, right off the bat, that your bathroom isn't wide enough. Plus, having a glass shower front means you won't be able to put in a grab bar on that wall for use for a weaker person to get on/off the toilet.... I think that wall needs to be solid, at least from the half-way point down.

If you cannot, under any circumstances move the shower's location, then I would make the closet narrower--at 4' wide only, and give the rest to the bathroom.

If you can afford to cut the slab for a shower drain only (this won't be that expensive, in the grand scheme of things...), I'd try moving the shower to across from the sink/toilet and all the way "down" to the wall. Then, have your closet run across the right wall.

If you draw that out, you might find you can get a wider area in the center of the bathroom for accessibility. Or, since it is a fairly square space (10x11) you might find that extra expense isn't worth it.

Finally, I'd consider making the whole 10x11 space bathroom/linen closet, and building a closet on the door side of the bedroom (just a reach in). Bathroom space would look like a long bath, with lots of space in the "front"/bottom of it. And, along the bottom wall could be a reach in closet or cabinetry set up. This would give you the turning radius needed as well.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Sorry, in my 5th paragraph, I meant have your closet run across the left wall...

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Can you post a little more about the needs of your elderly parent? Will there likely be a wheelchair involved? Are they likely going to be able to transfer to a shower bench on their own, or will they need someone to assist?

The large shower area is nice. Depending on what needs you anticipate, you might consider more of a dorm style two curtain arrangement, where there is a curtain instead of a door at the back, and another curtain enclosing the area nearest the shower head, creating a staging area with a little privacy for transferring, drying off (seated if need be), easy access to towel and robe, etc.

Definitely plan for grab bars, location and number depending on needs, a seat or bench in near the shower head, and possibly near the entrance, and a handheld shower head, which can be mounted on a pole for easy and adjustable reach. Also ensure there is room for storage within easy reach of the bench. The last thing you want is someone standing up and reaching for shampoo in a slippery shower!

Kudos to you for planning ahead. It's easier to start with something that works than to try to retrofit. There are places that specialize in this sort of thing, you can probably find some pictures and articles online.

• TexasCatherder
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Kirkhall and Williamsem,
    Thank you for the comments and suggestions. My parents presently live in their own home, but they are 80 years old and their health is slowly deteriorating. At the present time (knock on wood!) they are both walking and able to drive. I figured that since before I have a floor put down in this house, that I would do things like expand doorways to 36", remove as many obstacles as possible, and work on the bathroom layout for "just in case". I'd rather be able to do this a little at a time as I can afford it, instead of under duress in a semi-emergency!

Kirkhall, I hadn't thought of the grab bar issue by the toilet and that makes perfect sense to have a half-wall for the part of the shower there. I am afraid I don't quite understand, however, your description for a rearrangement of the shower and still being able to get a closet in the space?

• TexasCatherder
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a redraw - I thought that by removing the wall separating the closet from the bathroom and putting in a wide pocket door, this would essentially give a "moveable" wall. It wouldn't achieve the 5-foot turn radius, but it would at least allow a 3-point turn.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

That is a good re-arrangement of the space.

Pocket doors can be difficult for arthritic hands to operate (a "barn-door" style might be better for the bathroom door, than a pocket).