Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janeway452

Suggestions for where to get replacement faucets?

janeway452
9 years ago

My bathroom vanity is very old, but still in pretty good shape except for the faucets. They're all pitted and corroded and miraculously don't drip (very much). I've heard this sink called a "Martha Washington". I've looked everywhere, plumbing supply stores, online but can't locate these. By any chance would anyone have any ideas?

Comments (12)

• DreamingoftheUP
    9 years ago

See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shelfback sink

• janeway452
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Dreaming! Mine is the one on the left. From what I read I think I might be able to replace the drain with something appropriate. They say the original drain isn't manufactured anymore. I am so happy to have this information. It says you have to figure out which bonnet nut you have. I think I'll have a plumber come out and take off the hot water faucet to find out and then order the handles and escutcheons that work. On the first trip he can replace the pipes underneath which look pretty corroded. Then when the kit arrives have him come back to install them. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

• DreamingoftheUP
    9 years ago

You are quite welcome.

Probably a good idea to hold on to any parts the plumber removes until all the new parts are in place and the sink is working.

The tile and floor are very nice.

• janeway452
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, except for the chrome pieces, everything is in pretty good shape. That link you gave me also has my bath tub. It's a 1966 Standard "Cinderella". The soap dishes with handles in the tub area are in really bad shape, very pitted and corroded. Of course they're a non-standard (probably Standard!) shape and the along with the tiles are set in mortar. If I could get them out with damaging the tiles, it would be very hard to find replacements. Didn't see any on the link. I've wondered if there is a way to re-chrome in situ. I'm guessing if I was restoring an old car I could take a bumper or whatever into a place that does that. But these aren't moving without a sledge hammer!

• Fori
    9 years ago

Janeway--love what I can see of your bathroom and it's nice that you're keeping it. I have the same corroded soap dish in my '56 bath tub enclosure. If you ever find replacements, or even have the guts to pull them out to fix up, do post about it!

• DreamingoftheUP
    9 years ago

Your sink & tub, 1948, in two different colors (from American Standard ads). The built-in clock above the medicine cabinet in the first picture and the swing-out mirror in the tub in the second picture are interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mid Century Home Style

This post was edited by DreamingoftheUP on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 22:09

• DreamingoftheUP
    9 years ago

That's a tough one with the soap dish. Maybe use an epoxy white paint? There is such a thing as chrome paint, but it isn't very convincing.

This post was edited by DreamingoftheUP on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 22:12

• janeway452
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, the soap dish problem is a biggee. Even if I found the exact replacement, I fear that removing the existing would be impossible without damaging the surrounding tiles. I do have extra tiles, but I have this vision of escalating destruction. I'll call some re-chroming places, but I doubt the process can be done in situ. I did read about the process, and I'm really impressed. If I could remove them and carry them in, it might be possible, but again, removing them a big problem. I wonder if there is a tiny concrete saw that does minimal damage? So, it gets to maybe the best solution is to sand down as much as possible all the corrosion and pitting and find an epoxy paint that will not only look acceptable and hold up to the dampness of the shower.

• janeway452
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's another unusual feature. At first I thought it was some kind of grab bar, but when my sister-in-law looked at it, she immediately said she thought it was an extra towel bar. The first pic is it on the wall (I do use it that way as an extra towel bar) and the second is it extended. Notice how it matches the whole Standard design. Also, from that catalog link, it looks like my under sink pipes must be original. It matches perfectly the catalog. I do think that greenish corroded area needs to be replaced, but I'd like to keep the rest. I have a whole new appreciation for my bathroom!

• Fori
    9 years ago

Awesome! :)

• janeway452
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here it is extended and clipped into the thingee on the right. This house was called "Cottage House" and was built over a hen house/stable for the two grandmothers. I put a tension rod shower curtain above the original low shower curtain (seen in the previous picture with my shower curtain draped over for the picture). I guess it's a shower curtain. What I'd give to know what they would hang from it. While I'm on this time travel trip, I think I'll stop at the American Standard warehouse and pick up some replacement fixtures. Can I pick up something for you while I'm there?

• Fori
    9 years ago

ooo! Well, I do need a soap dish. If you can find me a pink lowflow toilet while you're there...