Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
s8thrd

Daltile quality?

s8thrd
10 years ago

Hi; I've been away from this site for a few years, but we have another project!

I was wondering about the quality of Daltile. We were looking at subway and, especially, at white octagon-and-square mosaic floor tile. I've noticed that on the Home Depot site a lot of people complain about the latter, saying (1) the glaze is too thin and the pink ceramic shows through, and (2) it lacks a mesh back. (If it lacks a mesh back, what does it have???)

I was under the impression that Daltile is a pretty good brand. But, the stuff for sale through Home Depot is much cheaper than the tile store -- just $2.95/SF for the mosaic. Do they make different grades for HD and tile stores? Does anybody know, and/or have a general sense of their quality?

Any other recommendations re the floor mosaic and a matching subway, without breaking the bank?

Comments (8)

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

My impression was that the Daltile I got through a Daltile dealer was better quality than that available at the box box stores, but I can't really quantify it, it was an impression.

I would not be surprised if their was some difference because a number of manufacturers make big box versions of products that look almost identical to those sold elsewhere, but are of lesser construction (faucets come to mind.)

• s8thrd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to both of you. Well, I suppose I could find out if the mosaic at the tile store has a mesh back; if it does, that tells me that it is not the identical product to HD, and the quality is probably different. If it doesn't have a mesh at the tile store either I would be leery of going with Daltile.

But it puzzles me why a manufacturer would put out different grades of product under the exact same name; you would think that this would drag down their name over time, and that it would also make the tile stores unhappy.

If anyone else has experience with white, or black and white, Daltile floor mosaic or subway, I'd welcome their thoughts.

• kendrahrose
    10 years ago

I am purchasing their small hex for a tiny powder room. I am shocked at the difference in price from one dealer to the next for what appears to be the same product. One place selling it for $3/sq foot - small independent store. And another small independent store selling it for $9/ sq ft. Strange indeed.

Thanks for the heads up about the mesh not necessarily having it straight. Still, I am trying to buy most construction items for our house made in USA and was happy to discover these are manufactured near Gettysburg.

• sloyder
    10 years ago

As I recall when I looked at the Hex tile at home depot a few months back it was made by a company in NY which made terrible tile, as I ordered a sample of floor tile which arrived chipped and looked very low quality.

• Mia J
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I purchased and had installed Daltile ceramic floor and wall tiles. Within a week of installation, the tiles started getting these odd pin marks, even though they were brand new and nothing was done to them besides maybe hot water and shampoo squirting on. I called Daltile immediately to which, Savannah, the claims representative assured me Daltile would remedy this. I did everything they asked, sent pictures, sent the last box of tile with 3 tiles left in it for inspection, even though they needed at least 5 or 6 they told me, I sent them everything I had. I was honest. I just received a email stating that they found no defects on the extra box of tiles I sent, even though that box was a different box than the tiles that were installed in the shower, which I even told them. Basically, Daltile lied and defrauded me. They took the last box of tile I had so now I can't even replace the defective tiles, and they denied the claim for no reason other than the ones sent were ok. Maybe they should test the ones on the wall, as I had a professional tile installer look at them and even say that they were clearly defective. What a terrible company, these are the types of people and company you should never be honest with, they will outright play you. Now my bathroom keeps getting defective tiles, terribly made and thats that. Im out of luck. Well I will be going to Texas and suing in small claims court, and will contact BBB and every other internet site regarding this horrible company. Never do business with them again, and never purchase their terrible tiles. There website states "Exceptional Tile Products, Guaranteed for one Year" did not even last one week. We will see what the judge thinks.

• jimw_richardson
    3 years ago

Daltile doesn't stand behind their product. They used to be a good company but have gone way downhill Have had many problems and they are not a customer centric company. Look elsewhere.

• HU-297507905
    7 months ago

I used to work at a Dal dealership. Yes the tiles at Home Depot are a very different quality. They are not checked for quality so some will be goid and others will be warped and out of shape or colors not from the same batch which results in a poor finished installation.

You get what you pay for.

Like fancy Health tile has ”seconds” for sale so does DAL. For rentals or people who dont care this provides a service.

Mesh doesn’t guarentee a good outcome as the spaces between the mesh can have errors and be different widths.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!