Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skoooooba

Where to install a hand shower with bar?

skuba
10 years ago

Hi, I realized that I didn't inform the plumber I would be using a hand shower that is held at a bar, and he set the pipes for a head shower.

I have bought a grohe hand shower set similar to this linked below and I am trying to figure out what to tell him. I assume that in order to have the actual shower on top of my head and aligned with the faucet and tub spout (there is a tub too) I need the pipe to be offset to the side, as well as the bar. Am I correct?

- If I leave the pipe where it is not only the shower hose would start too high but the bar and shower would also end up offset and not aligned with faucet and tub faucet.

- In this shower there will be adults as well as child bathing, so I imagine we would want the hose lower (maybe aligned with the middle of the bar ?) so the shower would have more range.

Please let me know your opinion so I can talk to plumber.

Thanks so much

Here is a link that might be useful: hand shower bar

Comments (13)

• ChristaM
    10 years ago

Your plumber might have a better idea of how to fix it. I would tell him what you want and where you think the hand shower should be placed, and have him figure it out. If he has to redo the plumbing I think that's better than having your shower off-center or in the wrong position for the next 20 years.

• catbuilder
    10 years ago

Remember, when you put your handshower on the bar, it will be offset. So putting the bar in the middle means the showerhead will not be in the middle. The outlet can go high or low. Since you have a tub, I would put it up high enough so that the hose doesn't drape into the tub. You also don't want it to be getting continually caught on the valve handle. I would mock it up by holding the hose in various configurations to see what works best.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Here's a pic of the bar centered.

-Babka

{{gwi:1445126}}

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

Remember, when you put your handshower on the bar, it will be offset. So putting the bar in the middle means the showerhead will not be in the middle.

Not necessarily, it depends on the bar. With my bar, the hand shower can be located directly in front of the bar.

• shanghaimom
    10 years ago

Ours is centered. I chose to put the outlet on the left, about halfway between the top and the control valve. With DH being significantly taller than me, it goes up and down every day. The hose DOES sometimes get caught on the control, which is annoying. I should have put it off to the side a bit further, like Babka's.
    (I should have asked this question, but sorta guessed, instead!)

• theanimala
    10 years ago

You definitely have to move it. The spot where he ran the pluming to will be where the little small knob that sticks out and then the hose runs from there to the bar. It would not look good at all and would work even worse if you had that part at the very top and center of the shower bar. Move it to the left and towards the bottom of the bar, then install the bar about 2 inches to the right or left of the center so the shower head is then centered.

• catbuilder
    10 years ago

Dekeoboe,

"Remember, when you put your handshower on the bar, it will be offset. So putting the bar in the middle means the showerhead will not be in the middle.
    Not necessarily, it depends on the bar. With my bar, the hand shower can be located directly in front of the bar."

That's for "your" shower. The OP's shower is like the one Babka posted, so it most definitely would not be centered if the bar is centered.

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

That's for "your" shower. The OP's shower is like the one Babka posted, so it most definitely would not be centered if the bar is centered.

I still maintain it depends on the shower bar used. shanghaimom shows how some bars allow you to rotate the arm holding the shower head to be directly in front of the shower bar, so they can both be centered.

• Fripp_07
    10 years ago

When the plumber wanted to locate the shower bar to the right above the valve, I insisted that everything be centered to allow room for a niche. This is how it was done.

• skuba
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback. I had mentioned the issue to GC. Went to the house today and it had been moved. So the hose is now lower and to the left, but I think might be too low. It's fine in terms of providing reach, but I am concerned about the hand shower if dropped hitting the floor or the tub. Do you think it's a valid concern? Is it a best practice to set at a hight so the shower doesn't hit the bottom of the tub?

Thanks

• skuba
    Original Author
    10 years ago

He is a mock up of what I had in mind, but now I am not sure this is the optimum. I see a lot of pictures where the hose is on the same side of the hand shower, not crossing like in this mock up.

I am now also unsure if the shower holder should be on the other side, the one facing the wall instead of the side I enter the shower. My initial thought was that I would want to easily access the shower with my right hand so it should also be on the right side of the bar. Do you agree?

And where should the hose be?

Thanks

• benlinus
    10 years ago

Fully thermostatically controlled with separate flow and temperature controls. Suitable for high pressure systems with 10 years manufactures guarantee.

• skuba
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Benlinus, I already bought my shower set, just trying to figure out the right setup for it. Thanks.