Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
burningmustard_gw

Master Bath Addition (Thoughts please)

burningmustard
9 years ago

Thoughts on how best to design this master bath addition. Currently a walk in attic that we will need to raise the ceiling, basically extending the roof line and adding a shed roof on the back and a dormer on the front. I have added a couple of exterior shots from the architect, and a real basic floor plan sketch

We will probably extend the closet area all the way but will have to take in account the roof pitch.

Ideally would have
double vanity
Separate room for toilet
Larger shower (2 person?)
Washer/dryer somewhere, stacked in closet maybe.
Walk in clothes closet.

Thanks for looking! Any help or ideas would be great.
{{gwi:1445112}}
{{gwi:1445113}}

{{gwi:1445114}}

{{gwi:1445115}}

Comments (6)

• divotdiva2
    9 years ago

Maybe look at putting the shower where the window is (frost the window for privacy) then it would be bigger for two, or at least more spacious period. Is that a vanity as drawn now? It's a lot of space for a vanity/makeup. It would be a pretty space though.

• chispa
    9 years ago

No door into the closet? It will get humidity from the bathroom. It would not work for our family as the men/boys hardly ever turn on the exhaust fans in the bathrooms! Luckily we live in a dry climate so they don't cause any issues, but I wouldn't like a closet through the bath layout.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I was always against a closet-through-the-bath layout, but then I had one in a rental we were in before our current condo, and I loved it. It didn't get damp (as I was sure it would), and it was so convenient!

I'm confused by the bottom of the picture - I see the toilet room, shower (don't like how the shower door opens into the main entrance to the bathroom) and vanity. What are the three boxes etc. at the bottom?

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

I like what you have going on. I would probably try to relocate windows so you could extend the hanging clothes rod in the closet. I think I would go with a longer shower if possible. Is the dormer area for a vanity or your washer and dryer?
    I came up with another solution, but don't know if my measurements are off. Make the front dormer window smaller to match the window in the front middle of the house and turn the dormer into your walk in closet. Then add an area for the washer and dryer in the other walk in closet.
    I like the addition roof line the way the architect designed it. Will the main bath area have an 8 foot ceiling in the entire area, or will some of the ceiling be slanted?

• burningmustard
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the replies. The floor plan sketch is real rough, just trying to get an idea of how much space we might have. This is an older (1935) home, so the current second floor bathroom situation is real limited.

HavenâÂÂt thought about doors to the closet, good point. The reason the closet is past the bathroom is for plumbing reasons. This addition would be above the original garage, where there is limited plumbing access. All access would be closer to the bedroom.

Currently what is drawn in the dormer is a make-up desk and window seat. Just quick thoughts by the architect. We would prefer something more useful there, as space is limited. Just not sure what we could put in the dormer that would work. I had thought about a W/D under the window area and then a countertop. I will think about using it as closet, thanks!

I think it will be 7âÂÂ9â mostly. Except for on the ends where it follows the normal pitch,, and parts of the dormer will be slanted. The vanity will be up against a wall that will be slanted down as well, canâÂÂt be too low with mirrors etc.

Thank you for the additional sketches, gives me more to think about. Really appreciate everyoneâÂÂs feedback.

Thanks!

• divotdiva2
    9 years ago

If you use the dormer as a closet, suggest you invest in UV film or coverings for the window to prevent your clothes from fading.