Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loves2read

Getting bids for small master bath remodel--help...

loves2read
9 years ago

The original master bath in 70s era FL house we bought couple of years ago needs a remodel--some tiles in master shower have fallen out and there is water damage behind them...
We looked at Angie's List and found two companies that work in this area south of Sarasota--not all listed there will...we also are getting estimate from local company who did remodel of kitchen for previous owners--who were very happy. Ferguson's Sarasota office also recommended same company when I called about contractors they might recommend...

Question is what should we be asking beyond references/past jobs and general info about scope of work...
We haven't decided on the specific items/design because we have some questions about what we can do with layout that we have-- but prefer to just use GC for labor and supply our own materials like fixtures, tile,lighting...

One of the companies we called that was found on Angie's List apparently comes with design books in various price points so you don't really outsource the materials from suppliers/souces yourself...
Reviews on Angie's List were very good so willing to see what their packages offer--maybe something will click that is same style/quality we would choose anyway...

Any specific questions about what to ask to judge quality of work would be appreciated...
Anyone who KNOWS a quality remodeler in Sarasota FL area--would appreciate that info as well...

At our TX home we have guy we have used for remodeling and would have no qualms about using him for this--except he can't commute 1200 miles...

Comments (19)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

loves2read:

Of course you need to check out qualifications and history, but you also want to show that you are a customer that a busy contractor wants. This means having a realistic budget idea and being unafraid to share it. It's the difference between "we're thinking about it" and "this bathroom's getting remodeled and we're picking someone soon."

Remember, this is a two-way street. The guy you want is evaluating you as much as you are him.

• loves2read
    Original Author
    9 years ago

we can afford to pay as much as we want--
    we were out pricing some items today at local Ferguson's and another plumbing supplier--tryiing to reach agree agreement on things like chrome vs polished nickle vs ORB and what shape of handles and light fixtures...
    some things I want like recessed medicine cabinet I think is issue because exterior walls are CB construction with no studs to offer a cavity recess space.

IT is also unrealistic to be told that we need to spend 50K to remodel a bath in house we bought for less than 250K...and which won't see probably a 25K pop after bath is redone...
    we don't expect to get it done for WalMart pricing but the shorter the time frame the lower the cost--
    making sure we know exactly dimensions to work with means we can order materials/supplies and have them onsite w/o delays...

One GC told me that they don't upcharge when we order from supplier like Ferguson's--we get the builder discount--which should be less than showroom price if I remember correctly...

there are other contractors that DO put an upcharge on fixtures which is gouging IMO

• millworkman
    9 years ago

"here are other contractors that DO put an upcharge on fixtures which is gouging IMO"

Why aren't they allowed to make money if they are purchasing products?

• vvesper
    9 years ago

I think the upcharge just sort of depends on the circumstances. First, how much of an upcharge? Second, if the contractor is picking up the items and bringing them to the worksite and having to make calls back and forth with the supplier, then that is time that should be paid for. I'm not talking about an outrageous amount, but a reasonable amount to cover the contractor's time and effort. If you pick it out, coordinate with the supplier and bring it home, then there should be no upcharge. Of course, in that case, you're probably paying the supplier directly anyway. JMHO

• jules8
    9 years ago

will you be using a waterproofing membrane or liquid? when I remodeled last year in the DC area, none of the five contractors I spoke to did waterproof. all of them were established companies listed on Angies List. If waterproofing is important to you, make sure you insist on it with the contractors.

• loves2read
    Original Author
    9 years ago

re the upcharge--We are the ones buying the products since we are the ones paying the bill...they aren't buying/stocking/holding inventory on this stuff--
    they are installers of products...if the product fails to perform, the MFG has a warranty...the contractor won't cover me if a jacuzzi tub stops working after two weeks--it is still under warranty from the mfg...
    Now if the install was done incorrectly and caused a problem--that is his problem...and that is what his warranty if for...

Why should I pay a surcharge if I go in and order something from Ferguson's--who does delivery for minimal charge in my area--and pay a 10% markup???
    Last big remodel we did, the GC helped me pick out some tiles and I paid him specifically for his time...but for this house when we had electrical work done to replace ceiling fans and light fixtures...the electrician we used let me drop ship the stuff I ordered online to their shop and they kept it until project started...no extra charge...

Anyway--the guy today says if we order through his plumber we get his discount...didn't mention how much it was but I can find out...

and they do use a waterproof membrane--He said they take the shower down to the studs/framing and put vapor barrier between that and the new cement board but they also do a Kurdie or something similar...I asked specifically about that and will make sure it is part of the contract description of scope of work with whomever we go with...

read interesting article on Houzz last night about cost of bathroom remodel jobs--gave three general price points for basic, mid-point, high - end remodels...of course much of that depends on labor costs which depends on many factors like location, union/non-union workforce, independent sourcing of materials...
    but in general interesting info

• loves2read
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was watching a Flip It show on HGTV based in CA and there was house going through remodeling and a leak from master shower was discovered...
    showed them "hot-mopping" the shower pan...
    not what I would choose to do but guess that works in CA
    We did that for upstairs deck where the metal pan was starting to show rust when we had to replace some damaged floorboards...got roofer to come in and tar the pan/seal it...seemed to work fine...

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I interviewed and got estimates from three contractors for my modest guest bath remodel. One was referred by my BD, the other two referred by good friends who I trust.

I never alluded to my budget. It's pretty obvious from my house and what I was asking for that I'm not going for super high-end finishes.

The three estimates came in like apples, oranges and kiwi fruit. Quite different bottom lines. I had to follow up with each of them once or twice to clarify what was included and what wasn't. I put everything into a spreadsheet so I could compare. The guy I chose (BD referral) was the most expensive but included everything. No surprises. I have been thrilled with the quality of his work and his professionalism. I think I got what I paid for.

• alina_1
    9 years ago

Why they are going to install both a vapor barrier and Kerdi?
    These are mutually exclusive methods. It is a no-no to apply both and to 'sandwich' cement board between layers of waterproofing stuff AFAIK.

I would recommend to educate yourself about the remodeling process and to keep it supervised. Also, ask them what kind of warranty they give for the labor.

• StoneTech
    9 years ago

Just to echo what Alina said. You use one or the other....NOT both. I personally use Kerdi (www.schluter.com) for most of my showers and give a lifetime warranty on it. Unlike the vapor barrier over the studs, Kerdi stops all moisture on the face of the drywall. Yes, drywall.....it's ALL that is needed as it never gets wet. If you have someone fully conversant with Schluter's Kerdi System, it's the best way to go.....

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I just got a Kerdi tub/shower surround. Ditra under the floor tile.

• loves2read
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You are right about using both methods--
    This is a cement block house exterior--don't know if that makes a difference--
    personally I would perfer a Kerdi type of finish--
    maybe this guy didn't really know or maybe they do both depending on your preference---

I have just seen a Kerdi shower that had been rescued from a generally bad original construction--a firehose couldn't have made a dent in that surface before the tiling...

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

When I was interviewing, I wanted to know from the contractors (AND their references), if they were reasonably on time, and on budget compared to their initial estimates.

The contractors will tell you all the reasons that might not happen (and so you can not do those) the references will tell you how they felt about the pricing--if it was fair or not; and if they had to keep engaging the contractor to get it done.

It worked out well for me. I've not had timing issues with any of the contractors I've hired, and all were within 5% of initial bid for final cost.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Since my GC hasn't said anything about cost running over, I'm assuming it won't. I don't expect it to come in for less either. I suspect he made sure little extras like a dimmer switch and moving my towel bar would be done with a smile.

I didn't ask about timing. The main stuff has been done in a timely fashion. There were a few days lost that I don't blame on my GC, e.g., counter templating turnaround, tile was tardy arriving, busted toekick had to be reordered. Nothing worth getting upset over. Besides, I have another bathroom. It's not like a kitchen.

However, everyone was on time. They always gave me an arrival time and would call if they were running late. I have a very low tolerance for not being on time, so this was important to me.

I liked all the guys who were working here. I was friendly but left them alone. I tried to be fair and reasonable. When something didn't go right, I told them I had faith that they'd fix it, no problem.

• loves2read
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Second GC came by this AM--
    much more laid-back and casual than first guy--
    got him from Angie's List and had very good reviews but he brought nothing except a business card--no list of references, no generic copy of contract, no list of their subs or any sources they use...
    he was nice but a little unsure about the "professional" aspect...

He said that he thought moving the toilet 12 inches to gain more shower room in its current location wasn't very practical for the money/use tradeoff since it would be difficult to enlarge the shower w/o cutting off the space needed to come into the bathroom...he said they could move the back wall of the shower down about 6 -8 inches and all space for a niche to hold shampoo and stuff which would help open up the interior standing space.

The first guy thought it was doable but expensive but haven't seen his sketch/diagram for what room would look like if that was done...

After talking to both these guys my husband is more open to just taking out the tub entirely vs putting in a 5ft tub (maybe a jacuzzi version)...
    which surprised me a good deal since he was adamant about it before they came...

Our daughter on the other hand says she really misses not having a tub in their master bath and would never give one up...

If we put the shower at the end where the tub is, it could be a nice, walk-in 4x5 shower and make a great focal point in the room...
    we could also turn the shower location into more storage and have some nice (rolling) laundry hampers added so I don't have to use closet space for dirty clothes--I don't like that...

How many of you would be willing to trade in a tub you don't use--as least we don't--for a nice larger shower?
    Photo shows the entrance into wet area from the hall w/dual sinks--

• loves2read
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The tub really sticks into the floor space -- new one would be 60" that just fits across the back wall...

• bowbat
    9 years ago

I've been lurking on the kitchen & bath forums for awhile, but your post finally motivated me to create a profile & respond. :)

We live in Sarasota and are having our master bath renovated. We ending up going with Yoder Homes & Remodeling - not sure if they're one of the ones you've already contacted. They're not cheap, but they are very professional. Excellent communication, online access to job status, everything very clearly spelled out. You can go through their preferred materials vendors or use your own. We were able to find everything we wanted at reasonable prices through them, so we went that route (except lighting). I cannot yet comment on the quality of their work, though, as they haven't started yet.

Oh, and our master bath will not have a tub, just a very large shower. We don't take baths - and have a tub in our second bathroom if we needed it - plus our master bath is fairly small. Better to use the space we had on stuff we actually want & need.

Good luck!

• loves2read
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yoder's isn't one of the companies we contacted but I did see them on Angie's List but only 1 review from 2012...Yoder is well-known, large family group in Sarasota...
    Roberts Brothers is one we called--they did kitchen remodel in house for previous owners who were pleased and one of the plumbing supply showrooms said they do lot of work for Roberts Bros--it is quality company I think...

My husband is getting frustrated--he doesn't want to talk about anything like colors until we decide if we are keeping the shower and tub both or if we are getting rid of tub for large shower and having more storage added where shower is...

I think I would want different styles depending on which we chose to do--
    keeping tub and shower I was thinking a cottage type bath with bead board around the tub apron and one of the walls and lots of white subway tile...

if we did just the shower--I would want to go more contemporary--
    more spa--no beadboard--whilte but tempered with some color--maybe turquoise tiles and golden tan like limestone in floor...

• xedos
    9 years ago

I'd suggest you hire someone to do a design for you Before you start shopping for tradesmen.

Also, keep in mind this is a two way street. Contractors are shopping customers (you) just as much as you are shopping them at initial meet and greets.