Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
serene123

Reglazing Bathtub

serene123
11 years ago

I called ReBath and they gave me a price of over $5,000 to make my bathtub look new as well as put down a new wall unit around the bathtub. I got a price of over $3,500 from Bath Fitter for something similar. This seems like a lot of money.

I am reading that people have had their bathtubs reglazed and the cost is about $400.

Can someone share their experiences with reglazing as far as how it looks and durability and how that may be different from what ReBath and Bath Fitter would do.

Thank you.

Comments (12)

• sserra85
    11 years ago

For that kind of money you can get and install a new tub and tile and glass door, and valves and trim.

for 400 dollars you can get a NEW cast iron tub. For much less than that you can get a NEW acrylic tub. Both of which will last much longer than reglazing with cast iron being the best choice.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

What bath fitter does is to cover up your old stuff with a cheap molded overlay. Two different neighbors of mine did this and both regretted it very much in a couple of years when it began to scratch and stain.

The $400 job is just a coat of paint. I'd agree with twn85, although there are a couple of people here who've had good luck. I've never seen a reglaze that didn't fail fairly quickly, but they say they're happy, so I guess it depends on the luck of the draw as to the quality you get.

• Happyladi
    11 years ago

Reglazing can come out wonderfully if the right person does it and it's taken reasonable care of. It's done if you don't want to change your tile. Is your tile okay?

I suggest you join Angie's List to find a good glazer. I also suggest you have them put a non slip texture on the bottom so you won't need a mat.

• Happyladi
    11 years ago

Reglazing can come out wonderfully if the right person does it and it's taken reasonable care of. It's done if you don't want to change your tile. Is your tile okay?

I suggest you join Angie's List to find a good glazer. I also suggest you have them put a non slip texture on the bottom so you won't need a mat.

• tartanhabit
    11 years ago

We had the re-paint kind of job (around $1000 if I remember correctly) and it lasted a few years but now looks awful. So if you want to buy a little time, say a few years, it might be the way to go but not a long term solution. Reglazing I guess is a whole different thing. For the kind of money you have been quoted, that sounds like a nice new tub with all the trimmings! The refinishing process on ours smelled highly toxic by the way.

• tim45z10
    11 years ago

Reglazing lasts a maximum of five years.

• harry_wild
    11 years ago

Generally speaking for $5,000; you can get a brand new tub and new tiles and new sink and new toilet - a completely new bathroom! Just have to not get the top of the line fixtures - no special order either. If you live in NYC, LA, San Francisco, Boston area and possibly Washington D.C.; it may cost you another $2,000!

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

I just had a tub repainted and it came out great for less that $500. There is a good 15 year warranty. Don't have time now to post photos but if you seach "keeping the yellow tile" you should find two threads about it.

• dedtired
    11 years ago

My old reglazed tub lasted about 15 years. One spot started to peel, where the tub had turned green underneath. It bought me some time until I could have the bathroom remodeled. I used Perma Ceram but I don't know if they are still around.

• jakkom
    11 years ago

We had our tub reglazed (painted) in 2003. Still perfect.

• phiwwy
    11 years ago

Reglazing is great if you're looking to list your home for sale. Not great if you have kids, need to use a mat, or have kids that may use toys in the tub. Kids can slip very easily on a reglazed tub also. The smell is highly, highly toxic, but temporary. You really can't set anything onto a reglazed surface, so you better have ample storage for shampoo etc. Recommend to just replace the tub, it's not that much more.

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

Our repainted tub has a non skid bottom. We put shampoo etc. on the sides of the tub. No issues.

Some situations make replacing the tub hard. 1st the cost of a new cast iron tub is higher than a plastic tub. We did not want to disturb the tile around it. Also the bathroom was built around the tub so to get it out you would have to cut it apart with a torch.

We can get a free touch up kit with ours.