Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
albryant

Should there be caulk around pedestal sink and toilet?

albryant
11 years ago

I'm making a list of final issues I need the contractor to fix before we pay the final labor bill.

We used Laticrete Permacolor grout in Silver Shadow and bought the matching caulk. The plumber caulked the toilet and pedestal sink base and I really think it detracts from the look of the fixtures on the hex tile floor. My DH doesn't really care either way, so I can decide if I want to ask for it to be removed, but I thought I should check with the GW experts before doing so.

We're in TN and I really don't know what the code requirements are here.

What are your opinions/advice? Is there a good reason for the caulk in these places, or would we be fine without it?

Here's a photo from several weeks ago before everything else was finished.

Comments (23)

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

I don't know about codes, but I prefer to not have them caulked. It anything is leaking under there, I want to see water on the floor as a clue

A friend followed some bad advice and caulked around a toilet to "stop the leak" ... he ended up in his crawl space when the rotting floor collapsed a few months later.

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

When I installed a new toilet and pedestal sink, the instructions included caulking the sink basin to the pedestal. However, none of the instructions included caulking the pedestal to the floor. Personally, I am on the same side as lazygardens in the caulk vs no caulk debate at the toilet base. I do not caulk the base of toilets. (I have done a few DIY bathroom remodels with a lot of research.) Some people like to caulk the base, but leave a gap at the back of the toilet in case there is a leak. I believe you should always leave some gap in the caulk on a toilet to prevent a hidden leak as lazygardens described. Some people prefer the ease of cleaning with caulk at the base. Personally, I would ask the contractor to show me the code that requires it, and otherwise remove it (myself or ask the contractor to do it).

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

Ditto what pricklypearcactus posted. Part of the visual issue with the caulk job appears to be that the caulk is grey (silver shadow) vs. white. White would likely have blended much better with the toilet & sink bases and not have been so noticeable.

• albryant
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the opinions. It doesn't appear that there's any reason I should leave it if I *hate* it, so I'm adding to my list of things for him to do :)

• enduring
    11 years ago

Well, I would certainly want caulk around my toilet because of *P*. Even if it was just the front as mentioned above. The potential of *P* seeping under the toilet would be my concern. I agree with Mydreamhome that white would have been a better choice. But I will be putting caulk around my toilet when it gets in (unless there is some reason not to). I can hardly wait to get my new toilet in and get it caulked:)

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

*P* ??
    Seriously?

Urine CAN be typed onto a message board!

I much prefer no caulk, even with men in the house. Not all have poor aim....

• TileTech
    11 years ago

I generally like to caulk the toilet with either a clear or matching-tile colour silicone caulk. It adds some stability to the toilet....but ALWAYS leave a 2-3" gap in the rear for reasons already mentioned.

• albryant
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I fired the contractor yesterday. We were on week 7 of what was promised to be a 3 week job and the work was sloppy and he was short cutting and still a good way from finishing.

So, as soon as I paid him part of the remaining bill and sent him on his way, I started removing the caulk on the pedestal sink. I forgot to snap a photo but it looks a MILLION times better! I'll probably remove it from the toilet tonight. At least if I change my mind, I can always go back with a clear silicone around the toilet.

Thanks for the help!

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

don't like what they used! love the toilet w/skirt - which one is it?

i've always thought they should have caulking around them... guess when I reseat mine I'll leave a gap around the back.

tho, one of mine recently developed a leak at the shut off under it in the back... so that would leak then under the toilet!

• albryant
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Desertsteph- the toilet is the American Standard Clean model available at Lowes for around $230 or so. It's a lot less expensive than most other skirted models, and the Cadet flushing system has been great. Not one clog in the year we've had it!

• Tim
    11 years ago

I can't fathom why anyone would want to caulk around any fixture sitting on the floor.

Maybe it's the fact I don't have 3 boys running around peeing on everything in site with poor aim, but if I did, I wouldn't let them use that bathroom ;) I think I'd build them there own in the basement completely lined in stainless steel with a stainless steel toilet and a drain in the middle of the floor for them.

Kidding aside, I'd pull the caulk off the floor on both the sink and toilet.

If the toilet wax ring ever leaks, you want to know about it - you don't want the water sitting, leaking into the floor around the toilet flange, rotting the plywood subfloor and ultimately causing you to rip up your tiled floor to fix.

• joanneheenan
    8 years ago

I have an similar situation. Just had my contractor install my pedestal sink. He put silicone on top of the sink where the sink meets the wall to avoid splashing of water on the top that would inevitably run down the wall. There is no tile behind the sink just a painted wall. I am very anal about aesthetics & it bothered me to see this clear shiny stuff. Made it appear like the sink is glued to the wall. Any suggestions?

• PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    8 years ago

The silicone choice should have been white not Silver Shadow. I like silicone on the toilet bowl installs but only on 85% of the perimeter. The back side I leave open. The pedestal base should also see silicone and on these I do all sides.

• joanneheenan
    8 years ago

Anyone that can offer suggestions to my post above?

• PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    8 years ago

replace the silicone with latex caulk and then paint it after a three day cure.

• Ellen Blomgren
    8 years ago

This contractor seems to have done an excellent job. He/she is probably not an interior decoartor and chose a standard caulk color. Construction pretty much always takes longer than expected and I think it's not right that you have not paid in full for services rendered.

• millworkman
    8 years ago

Ellen, what? The post about not having paid the final bill is 3 plus years old.....

• PRO
    Avanti Tile & Stone / Stonetech
    8 years ago

caulk around the toilet....but leave about a 1" gap on the back. If there is a leak...I wanna KNOW about it before it causes bigger problems. On the sink pedestal, if you like the look, just go ahead and caulk it....or not, if you like the look, let it be.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    8 years ago

I agree with Enduring that I don't want pee to sneak and coagulate under that edge. (not just small boys, but old men too!) IF you do it right, you can caulk with a color similar to the floor and push your finger around the base so that you never see the caulk, but it stops anything, (like floor washing water or dripping down the front pee). Any moisture under that edge can mildew if it is not caulked. The back left open to detect a leak but you can't see that or actually it is tough to get your caulking gun back there anyway.

Regarding the sink, same deal. Push the caulk under with your finger so you don't see it unless you are lying on the floor.

-Babka

• enduring
    8 years ago

When I did my bathrooms I used the floor matching caulk so that it would have a nice contrast with the smooth edge of the white stool. So my rule of thumb is to match the more uneven surface and let the smooth surface stand out. Does that make sense?

• Babka NorCal 9b
    8 years ago

Me too, Enduring. White toilet, grey tile, grey caulk and pushed in almost vertical between the two surfaces. The toilet installer di a fat white caulk and it looked AWFUL. I scraped it out and put my own matching grey grout. In the OP's photo, I would remove the darker caulk and replace it with white. This is not a PERMANENT thing, so if you like it one way better than the other than scrape it out and change it. Good thing.

-Babka

• Liz Stro
    4 years ago