Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
budge1_gw

Gap between tub & floor tile - what to do?

budge1
16 years ago

In order to install and level the tub, it had to be raised a bit. I heard the GC talking to the tiler about adding the cement board and tile. He thought it might bring up the level of the floor enough. Unfortunately it didn't.

The gap is about 1/4" to almost 1/2" - too big to fill with caulk.

When I asked the tiler what we could do about he said, "caulk maybe?"

The GC said he would think about it over the weekend and come up with something.

I'm just wondering if anyone has dealt with this and could give me ideas that will look nice and be waterproof as well. The tub and tile are both white if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (14)

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

You mean something like this?

This was in an old 40's era motel in a resort area up here called Old Orchard Beach. The owners ended up putting vinyl base across the front of the tub.

• budge1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yup, just like that.

Please don't tell me vinyl base is my only option.

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

It's either that, or doing a mud floor to level the floor out, as well, and having a small step at the doorway.

• budge1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, there is no way they are putting a pIece of vinyl base -I'm picturing a wide strip of ugly stuff like they use in commercial locations between the rug and the wall - maybe you are thinking of something else.

What about a well primed and painted piece of wooden quarter round or other nice looking trim? Could we caulk the seam and then apply the trim and then caulk the edges of the trim between the tub and floor?

I took a couple of pictures and I don't think the gap is quite as wide as in Bill's pic of the motel.

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

For something like that, you might be able to stuff some styrofoam rodding in there and caulk it.

Definitely not the optimum situation.

• jamesk
    16 years ago

How about a strip of marble? Like a baseboard along the bottom of the tub. If you have a stone countertop or a stone threshold in the doorway, it could be in a matching stone. Perhaps something with an ogee edge along the top would fit right in with the traditional look of the tiles on the walls and floor.

If it were cemented in place then grouted the same as the tile, it might be a rather decorative detail -- and no one would know it wasn't a planned in advance.

• jamesk
    16 years ago

If the idea of a marble strip doesn't appeal, I wonder if it would be possible to use quarter-round sections of tile that matches your subway tiles. I'm not sure what you call the quarter-round sections, but you sometimes see them as the edging on tile wainscot that stands proud of the wall.

Anyway, they might be big enough to cover the gap, and once grouted they'd also make a nice looking detail.

• budge1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OMG, jamesk, I think you might be on to something. Not sure if I can afford the marble, but the tile would probably be doable.

Off to search to see if daltile has a quarter round. I do have some of the pencil moulding maybe that would work.

Thank you, thank you, thank you

• budge1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just tried the pencil trim and it just fits and looks pretty good.

Bill if you are still out there, do you think this will work in a practical sense - long term? Would he just run a bit of thinset in there and then caulk/grout it?

Would I be better off to order the 3x6 cove?

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Nope-- actually James' suggestion is a great one, and yes, I DO think it'll work long term. Just be sure to caulk the top of it to the tub instead of grouting it.

• wookiesgirl
    16 years ago

Budge1 Didnt read further to see if this had been suggested but you could do a decorative tile edge there. Actually attached to the tub side. I have seen people tile the entire side of a tub. Makes it look like a built in
    Good luck

• budge1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You guys rock. I have said it before, but "I LOVE THIS FORUM!!"

Thanks again.

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

wookiesgirl-- That depends on whether it's porcelain or not. If not, it's not a good idea, and if it's fiberglass or any kind of plastic, it's downright impossible to do tile that'll last at all.